Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #76 of 941
if your source device has a noisy USB ground, e.g. Gaming PC with high power graphics card(s), then fully balanced DAC + HP Amp + cans may have a lower audible noise floor vs single-ended that are AC powered using 3-pin grounded (e.g. IEC connector) plugs. Note: do not remove / defeat ground pins on AC cords (may cause safety hazard)

Awesome, so it seems like I won't really benefit from having fully balanced since I'm not running into any noise issues, just something I was curious about.

Another forum has someone saying it's an improvement over the modi 3 soundwise...so I'll see what the general consensus is in the coming week

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #77 of 941
Hey guys, I currently have the Modi 3 running on my 789 but I've been curious about the Modius. I'm interested in it because I feel like it would be nice to have a fully balanced setup, but if there's no benefit to be gained I'd rather save my money. It seems like it makes sense to take advantage of balanced since I have the 789.

From what I've gathered there are no benefits to balanced between DAC/AMP unless you're running long cables which I'm not doing since my stack is right next to each other.

Also curious if there are actually any noticeable sound differences between the modi 3/modius, but it looks like I just need to wait for more reviews in the coming days as people start getting it in.
I would say the difference is noticeable. I have it currently running my 789. The difference in XLR vs RCA depends on how those paths are implemented in the equipment, the cable itself only has advantages in long runs as you said.

my opinion is that the modius is a better dac than the modi. To be clear I couldn’t hear a difference in the ADI2 against the modi3 as they’re both kind of shrill in the highs. While the modius has a bit thicker sound, the highs seem to be rendered in a way the bothers my ears less (im a bit treble sensitive). This is a clear upgrade to the modi from what I’m hearing

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #78 of 941
I would say the difference is noticeable. I have it currently running my 789. The difference in XLR vs RCA depends on how those paths are implemented in the equipment, the cable itself only has advantages in long runs as you said.

my opinion is that the modius is a better dac than the modi. To be clear I couldn’t hear a difference in the ADI2 against the modi3 as they’re both kind of shrill in the highs. While the modius has a bit thicker sound, the highs seem to be rendered in a way the bothers my ears less (im a bit treble sensitive). This is a clear upgrade to the modi from what I’m hearing

Yea the highs are something I was hoping to tame because I found them to be fatiguing after about 2 hours. I assumed it was just the 789 being too clean and was wondering if I should try the Asgard 3 instead. I read someone else said something similar about the highs on the Modius, which is why I'm so interested.

Now.. the big question. Did you get silver or black? I'm thinking I should get the black to match with the 789, but the silver looks great too.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #79 of 941
If only they dropped this a month ago, would have easily gone for the Modius rather than the E30. It simply wasn't a competition between the Modi 3 and E30 back then.

Balanced output AND Unison USB at this price is pretty tempting, plus ASR rates it pretty well. Might consider getting the Modius if I have any ground isses with the E30 and 789.

Well played Schiit

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #80 of 941
Yea the highs are something I was hoping to tame because I found them to be fatiguing after about 2 hours. I assumed it was just the 789 being too clean and was wondering if I should try the Asgard 3 instead. I read someone else said something similar about the highs on the Modius, which is why I'm so interested.

Now.. the big question. Did you get silver or black? I'm thinking I should get the black to match with the 789, but the silver looks great too.
Always black! Always

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #81 of 941
anyone know if the modius still have the AKM velvet sound that was present in the modi 3? I remember liking the modi 3 very much apart from the velvet tuning inherent from the 4490

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #82 of 941
anyone know if the modius still have the AKM velvet sound that was present in the modi 3? I remember liking the modi 3 very much apart from the velvet tuning inherent from the 4490
I don’t know what velvet sounds like but I don’t think it’s an issue with the modius

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #83 of 941
I don’t know what velvet sounds like but I don’t think it’s an issue with the modius
thanks! im really tempted to try the modius. my subjective opinion of AKM's velvet sound is its like dynamics are rendered in a way that it is more 'polite' and it fails to fully let go and give you that last 'bite'. lows are smooth and a bit less textured, slight dip in the mids. for example if you listen to grungy sounding songs like nirvana and zztop - it sounds more smooth than grainy & explosive. I am comparing to the multibit BTW so maybe its not a fair comparison.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #84 of 941
Hey guys, I currently have the Modi 3 running on my 789 but I've been curious about the Modius. I'm interested in it because I feel like it would be nice to have a fully balanced setup, but if there's no benefit to be gained I'd rather save my money. It seems like it makes sense to take advantage of balanced since I have the 789.

From what I've gathered there are no benefits to balanced between DAC/AMP unless you're running long cables which I'm not doing since my stack is right next to each other.

Also curious if there are actually any noticeable sound differences between the modi 3/modius, but it looks like I just need to wait for more reviews in the coming days as people start getting it in.

Well, I am gonna give you THE answer to this question but you may not like it ,if you really want to know your going to have to try it for yourself. Everyone hears differently and the differences between dacs are subtle enough that some people will not notice any differences.

Inevitably this thread and others like it will be filled with people who think it sounds way better than the Modi, people who cant tell any differences at all, and people who demand that first group do a quadruple blind test inside a Faraday cage to prevent the psychic emanations of the administrators from influencing the participants. It will all be extremely confusing and that burning question wont be fully answered.

Schiit has a great trial policy, if you dont like it or cant tell any difference with the Modi you can return it. You will lose 30 bucks plus shipping but for me at least it would be worth it. If you get lucky you wont be able to hear any difference, return it and feel satisfied that the Modi is all you will ever want/need. Might even save you from buying a even more expensive dac in the future that you get stuck with. If you do hear a difference and like it better then you get to experience both the thrill that all your music now sounds better and the sound of your wallet crying.

What you will definitely get is a much better usb interface and a xlr output enabling you to eliminate any ground loops should they arise along with double the power output. Both of those are handy to have, and in my opinion the Modi's greatest flaw is its lackluster USB interface which the Modius resolves and then some. Those Cmedia interfaces are getting quite dated and lag behind Xmos which is what seems to be used most often in the better dacs these days. Rather it will be an audible improvement or not I cant say but it it certainly helps the old OCD.

I ordered one to go with my Asgard 3, I actually didnt really like the Modi with the Asgard so I am curious to hear if there is a improvement myself compared to a Creative G6. I will be glad to be rid of these crappy Creative drivers at least.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #86 of 941
Well, I am gonna give you THE answer to this question but you may not like it ,if you really want to know your going to have to try it for yourself. Everyone hears differently and the differences between dacs are subtle enough that some people will not notice any differences.

Inevitably this thread and others like it will be filled with people who think it sounds way better than the Modi, people who cant tell any differences at all, and people who demand that first group do a quadruple blind test inside a Faraday cage to prevent the psychic emanations of the administrators from influencing the participants. It will all be extremely confusing and that burning question wont be fully answered.

Schiit has a great trial policy, if you dont like it or cant tell any difference with the Modi you can return it. You will lose 30 bucks plus shipping but for me at least it would be worth it. If you get lucky you wont be able to hear any difference, return it and feel satisfied that the Modi is all you will ever want/need. Might even save you from buying a even more expensive dac in the future that you get stuck with. If you do hear a difference and like it better then you get to experience both the thrill that all your music now sounds better and the sound of your wallet crying.

What you will definitely get is a much better usb interface and a xlr output enabling you to eliminate any ground loops should they arise along with double the power output. Both of those are handy to have, and in my opinion the Modi's greatest flaw is its lackluster USB interface which the Modius resolves and then some. Those Cmedia interfaces are getting quite dated and lag behind Xmos which is what seems to be used most often in the better dacs these days. Rather it will be an audible improvement or not I cant say but it it certainly helps the old OCD.

I ordered one to go with my Asgard 3, I actually didnt really like the Modi with the Asgard so I am curious to hear if there is a improvement myself compared to a Creative G6. I will be glad to be rid of these crappy Creative drivers at least.

I certainly agree, audio is very subjective and I'm very wary of placebo. As I said I don't have any issues with noise, nothing to really complain about except for the highs being fatiguing after a while which I'd point towards the 789 as the culprit. However, everything else is awesome. If I can tame those highs like with the Modius then it'll be worth it.

I will pick one up and see how it goes

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #87 of 941
The modius is a neat product. One thing is bothering me: the seize of USB connector. I got plenty USB cables laying around, but....no micro...argh.
I really don't like the use of a micro USB, but Schiit does include one in the box. I'm still debating about getting a Modius, but if I do I'm going to get a Audioquest USB B to micro adapter ($17 on Amazon, so a bit pricey) for my Audioquest USB cable. (I'm not a big believer in expensive cables and my USB cable is one of the cheaper ones from Audioquest (Cinnamon). It's primarily aesthetic--it looks and feels a lot nicer then generic cables.)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #89 of 941
my subjective opinion of AKM's velvet sound is its like dynamics are rendered in a way that it is more 'polite' and it fails to fully let go and give you that last 'bite'. lows are smooth and a bit less textured, slight dip in the mids. for example if you listen to grungy sounding songs like nirvana and zztop - it sounds more smooth than grainy & explosive. I am comparing to the multibit BTW so maybe its not a fair comparison.
I've had my Modius playing for around 24hrs now, and while I'm not yet ready to render a final verdict on it's sound, the above description pretty accurately describes what I've been hearing so far with the Modius when compared to the Mimby.

I will say this, make sure to give the Modius at least 12hrs of continuous playtime before you start to critically listen to it becasue it sounds pretty dull and flat straight out of the box, but it improves noticeably during the first 12hrs or so.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #90 of 941
The modius is a neat product. One thing is bothering me: the seize of USB connector. I got plenty USB cables laying around, but....no micro...argh.
I’ve got bags full of microb to a cables. I don’t understand how this is in any way a big deal to anyone. We’re talking something that is spec compliant and has zero impact on usability. I’m genuinely baffled at what actual, real life day to day problems this might cause. Are there any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back