Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #46 of 941
He's a Schiil. Always has been. Always a huge write-up that gets more excited as he goes. There's a moment of revelation included to raise excitement (the **** Me! moment). It's all very suspicious. I would say it's paid for. I have always gotten that impression. Whatever.
rFyjwGh.gif

.....but it entertains me.

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 941
He's a Schiil. Always has been. Always a huge write-up that gets more excited as he goes. There's a moment of revelation included to raise excitement (the **** Me! moment). It's all very suspicious. I would say it's paid for. I have always gotten that impression. Whatever.
Could be, that would be excellent marketing honestly. A lot of it rings true for me though, having heard it directly against the ADI2 for myself.
I wonder how common that approach is in general. I know a lot of youtubers have been accused of similar stuff. Seems like a good approach. Unless the reviews are Totally baseless, then people would eventually figure it out and that’s bad for everyone.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #49 of 941
Could be, that would be excellent marketing honestly. A lot of it rings true for me though, having heard it directly against the ADI2 for myself.
I wonder how common that approach is in general. I know a lot of youtubers have been accused of similar stuff. Seems like a good approach. Unless the reviews are Totally baseless, then people would eventually figure it out and that’s bad for everyone.
He’s not a shill, but he’s a total Schiit fanboy.
I always take his opinions and reviews with a grain of salt, but I think he gets things mostly right most of the time.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #50 of 941
I have more respect for AMIR at ASR, way more respect, and I personally think that ASR indeed turned up the heat forcing Schiit to produce a better engineered product. In either case great work from Schiit, just need well implemented Bluetooth now.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #53 of 941
Considering how poorly the integrated 4490 DAC in the Jotunheim measures, would it be safe to assume that adding a Mobius to my Jotunheim would be a worthwhile purchase? I've never before purchased a standalone DAC before...

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #54 of 941
Considering how poorly the integrated 4490 DAC in the Jotunheim measures, would it be safe to assume that adding a Mobius to my Jotunheim would be a worthwhile purchase? I've never before purchased a standalone DAC before...
I would say it would be. Although I just have the Jotunheim with no DAC in it.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #55 of 941
I would say it would be. Although I just have the Jotunheim with no DAC in it.
I want to pull the trigger on this...I just need a pair of 6inch XLR cables...which is proving quite hard to find on Amazon for me...

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #56 of 941
I want to pull the trigger on this...I just need a pair of 6inch XLR cables...which is proving quite hard to find on Amazon for me...
I went with a pair of 1.5 foot cables on Amazon. I agree that shorter is probably better but they should do fine for now. I also picked up a 1.5 foot RCA cable for the Lyr 3.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #57 of 941
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #58 of 941
I think it would be, but not just becasue it measures better. Two bigger benefits would be Schiit's propritary Unison USB interface and a 4V output from its balanced outs. From what I've read, it seems that the DAC cards put out a lower than normal voltage internally, and having the full 4V would lower the Jot's noise floor and allow it to operate at it's peak potential, at least input voltage-wise. :nerd:

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #59 of 941
I've had the Jot for almost 3 years now and have always wanted to use it to its full potential with a balanced DAC. Modius is a cheap way to run the Jot in a fully balanced configuration.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #60 of 941
I've had the Jot for almost 3 years now and have always wanted to use it to its full potential with a balanced DAC. Modius is a cheap way to run the Jot in a fully balanced configuration.
The AK4490 card is fully balanced, but the Multibit card is not. The multibit card uses Jason's CAB (Cheap-Ass Balanced) circuit (which the Bifrost 2 also uses).

But both DAC cards are necessarily compromised designs due to their small size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back