Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #31 of 941
I do intend to add this to my Jotunheim. I am slightly annoyed by the move to mini USB though. Meaning I’ll need another USB cable. Plus I’ll need to get a pair of XLR interconnects. But the move to mini USB is almost a deal breaker. That is literally the worst USB interface. Better not bump it or it’ll quit working.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 941
I do intend to add this to my Jotunheim. I am slightly annoyed by the move to mini USB though. Meaning I’ll need another USB cable. Plus I’ll need to get a pair of XLR interconnects. But the move to mini USB is almost a deal breaker. That is literally the worst USB interface. Better not bump it or it’ll quit working.
They did state that down the road they're going to be transitioning everything to USB C before to long which excites me because c to c is much easier to find than c to micro or worse b and all of my sources are using c right now

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #36 of 941
Since you mentioned the RME, (crazy if modius sounds as good) I assume you're using XLR out ? Can you elaborate on other gear please :)
Sure, the direct comparison was done on an RNHP and THX789. Cans are Aeon2c and LCD2c. Source is Tidal, Spotify, and modern warfare.

I would say the resolution provided by the RME (which I was not particularly impressed with, so know that it just isn’t my flavor) is matched to my ears by the modius. The main difference here is presentation and I much prefer the fuller and less harsh appearance.

to be clear, when I switch from my modi3 to the RME, I didn’t notice a huge improvement. So I may have broken ears.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #37 of 941
@hilmGrant , thanks for these impressions and comparison. Btw, how is the soundstage and the bass slam of the Modius compared to the RME?

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #38 of 941
Sure, the direct comparison was done on an RNHP and THX789. Cans are Aeon2c and LCD2c. Source is Tidal, Spotify, and modern warfare.

I would say the resolution provided by the RME (which I was not particularly impressed with, so know that it just isn’t my flavor) is matched to my ears by the modius. The main difference here is presentation and I much prefer the fuller and less harsh appearance.

to be clear, when I switch from my modi3 to the RME, I didn’t notice a huge improvement. So I may have broken ears.
@hilmGrant , thanks for these impressions and comparison. Btw, how is the soundstage and the bass slam of the Modius compared to the RME?
I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in the low end.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #39 of 941
It should be very, very, very difficult to tell DACs apart unless they are intentionally designed to have a signature which would be a terrible approach. Really the DAC should be transparent and just get out of the way. Virtually every report when you hear people tell you about the differences they "hear" are done sighted. I have never heard of a single blind test result where people could tell the difference between properly designed DACs.

I would love this DAC if it was even $100 more, but included solid Bluetooth connectivity like the Topping D90 or the new SMSL M400. Really glad that Schiit is staying in the game and fighting to produce quality, affordable audio gear. Way to go Schiit and I wish you all the success in the world.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 941
Since you mentioned the RME, (crazy if modius sounds as good) I assume you're using XLR out ? Can you elaborate on other gear please :)
Actually, it wouldn't be crazy at all if the Modius sounded as good as, or even slightly better than the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (as one influential person has claimed). They both use the same AKM AK4493 chip and are both designed by highly competent engineers who know the difference between what sounds good and what doesn't. But the RME is an impressively full-featured DAC that is primarily designed for professional use in a studio, whereas the Modius is a bare-bones PCM-only design that is primarily intended for use at home.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #41 of 941
Who's got different USB A to micro USB cable? I just realized I don't have any really. Ideally need a 3 to 4 footer that doesn't cost more than the dac. Does belkin make anything good? How long is the supplied cable ?

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #42 of 941
Who's got different USB A to micro USB cable? I just realized I don't have any really. Ideally need a 3 to 4 footer that doesn't cost more than the dac. Does belkin make anything good? How long is the supplied cable ?
I was going to ask the same question. I really want the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, but it's 75% of the price of the dac....
Edit:
How long is the supplied cable ? It's 3 feet.
Picked mine up on my way home from work, breaking it in now. I like it so far!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 941
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #45 of 941

Users who are viewing this thread

Back