Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #92 of 941
How is this possible?
I think it mainly has to do with all of the components on the board reaching their quiescent EM and thermal stability levels.

Don't know 100% for sure, though. And I doubt anybody does.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #93 of 941
I think it mainly has to do with all of the components on the board reaching their quiescent EM and thermal stability levels.

Don't know 100% for sure, though. And I doubt anybody does.
It’s interesting because I think I noticed a difference but discounted my experience until I read your post. My thinking was that much of this chain is digital and not susceptible to any change like that. But I’m clearly ignoring the point of a DAC lol. I’m now going to look into “quiescent EM”

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #94 of 941
It’s interesting because I think I noticed a difference but discounted my experience until I read your post. My thinking was that much of this chain is digital and not susceptible to any change like that. But I’m clearly ignoring the point of a DAC lol. I’m now going to look into “quiescent EM”

I'm not sure I can hear this with DS designs, but as I understand it, various caps and resistors have different measurable performance at different temperatures - so it makes sense to me that some warm up time 'could' affect what we hear.

There is certainly a wealth of agreement that the Schiit MB models all benefit from warm-up quite significantly.

As I've been researching the design philosophy and implementation behind MB and DS, it also makes sense to me that MB implementations would be MORE sensitive to thermal changes, but I could easily accept that warm up time and burn in could result in audible differences - even with SS designs.

But ultimately, we all have to listen to find out if WE hear it or not, and, if we do, does it matter that much to us! :)

Even if it is a purely placebo affect, it STILL affects how WE perceive and enjoy the music - which is what it is about anyway.

At least from my perspective :) YMMV, of course.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #95 of 941
I’ve got bags full of microb to a cables. I don’t understand how this is in any way a big deal to anyone. We’re talking something that is spec compliant and has zero impact on usability. I’m genuinely baffled at what actual, real life day to day problems this might cause. Are there any?

Micro usb is less durable than the standard USB and USb-C that is the main practical concern. You have to be more careful when plugging in cables and be careful not to put too much pressure on the port. I have never personally had one break, but its certainly a concern, especially for long term use. Repeated plugging and unplugging of cables is not a great idea. Some people also spend a lot on fancy USB cables and may be upset that they dont work with the Modius too I suppose.

I would personally recommend not removing the cable often to prevent wear on the port.That should ensure the Modius lasts many many years.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #96 of 941
Repeated plugging and unplugging of cables is not a great idea
USB micro B was literally a standard on android phones for years. like generations of phones use this. Phones get many orders of magnitude more 'action' than the port on a DAC ever will. Maybe the problems in those cases are where that perception comes from. hmmm. :thinking:

Some people also spend a lot on fancy USB cables and may be upset that they dont work with the Modius too I suppose.
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense for those who have invested in high end digital cables.

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #97 of 941
- - Schiit Modius Mini-Review - -

Well, as much as I hate to say it, it looks like the sound of the Modius just isn't for me. :fearful::sweat_smile:

Nobody wanted to love the Modius more than I did. It had all of the features I was looking for along with a very affordable price. But unfortunately, to my ears, it just couldn't dethrone the Modi Multibit in SQ.

I've been trying to think of a good analogy to describe the differences between the Modius with its delta-sigma chip and the Modi Multibit with it's R2R chips and proprietary digital filter. I thought about all of the usual audiophile analogies we've all read a hundred times before, but none of them really seemed to fit. So I came up with an unusual analogy that seemed the most apropos to me, so here goes. To me, the difference between these two DACs is like drinking some pretty good store-bought orange juice and drinking some fresh-squeezed orange juice you get at a farmers market that was just made that day. While the store-bought OJ is still very enjoyable, it has been strained, frozen, thawed, pasturized and homogenized before you ever get to taste it. But with the fresh-squeezed OJ, it comes directly from the source with almost nothing having been done to it. Sure, you may get more pulp than you might otherwise prefer, and maybe even the occasional seed or two, but God DAMN is it delicious! There's just no comparison, in my opinion. But surprisingly (to me, at least), there are many people that actually prefer the taste of the store-bought OJ because it has a smoother texture, it's less acidic, it doesn't have any pulp or seeds in it, and the list goes on. While I understand where they are coming from, I personally would much rather have my OJ fresh-squeezed, even if that means getting the occasional little bits of undesired stuff that will inevitably come along with it.

The Modius is a very good sounding DAC, and an excellect value at it's price. But it still very much sounds like a delta-sigma based DAC. It doesn't rewrite the rules for what a good quality, entry-level DS DAC is capable of, so you shouldn't expect any miracles in that regard. The Modius does have a somewhat larger soundstage and it images a little better when compared to the MM. But the MM has that "Multibit Magic", primarily in the mids and treble, that in all honesty, I've now become quite addicted to. And just to be extra thorough, I listened to the Modius with all three of my amps using it's RCA and XLR outputs, and I heard the exact same sonic traits and differences with all of them.

So for me, it looks like I'll be sticking with R2R DACs going forward, which now makes me really wish Schiit would hurry up and release a "Modius Multibit" ASAP! While I would still recommend the Modius as a great entry-level DAC, it's not without the same caveats that go with nearly all DS-based DACs. To sum it up, I think the Modius will be a better fit for those who usually prefer the smoother, easier to drink store-bought OJ over the more tangy, pulpy and occasionally seedy (?!?) fresh-squeezed stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #98 of 941

Well, as much as I hate to say it, it looks like the sound of the Modius just isn't for me. :fearful::sweat_smile:

Nobody wanted to love the Modius more than I did. It had all of the features I was looking for along with a very affordable price. But unfortunately, to my ears, it just couldn't dethrone the Modi Multibit in SQ.

I've been trying to think of a good analogy to describe the differences between the Modius with its delta-sigma chip and the Modi Multibit with it's R2R chips and proprietary digital filter. I thought about all of the usual audiophile analogies we've all read a hundred times before, but none of them really seemed to fit. So I came up with an unusual analogy that seemed the most apropos to me, so here goes. To me, the difference between these two DACs is like drinking some pretty good store-bought orange juice and drinking some fresh-squeezed orange juice you get at a farmers market that was just made that day. While the store-bought OJ is still very enjoyable, it has been strained, frozen, thawed, pasturized and homogenized before you ever get to taste it. But with the fresh-squeezed OJ, it comes directly from the source with almost nothing having been done to it. Sure, you may get more pulp than you might otherwise prefer, and maybe even the occasional seed or two, but God DAMN is it delicious! There's just no comparison, in my opinion. But surprisingly (to me, at least), there are many people that actually prefer the taste of the store-bought OJ because it has a smoother texture, it's less acidic, it doesn't have any pulp or seeds in it, and the list goes on. While I understand where they are coming from, I personally would much rather have my OJ fresh-squeezed, even if that means getting the occasional little bits of undesired stuff that will inevitably come along with it.

The Modius is a very good sounding DAC, and an excellect value at it's price. But it still very much sounds like a delta-sigma based DAC. It doesn't rewrite the rules for what a good quality, entry-level DS DAC is capable of, so you shouldn't expect any miracles in that regard. The Modius does have a somewhat larger soundstage and it images a little better when compared to the MM. But the MM has that "Multibit Magic", primarily in the mids and treble, that in all honesty, I've now become quite addicted to. And just to be extra thorough, I listened to the Modius with all three of my amps using both of it's RCA and XLR outputs, and I heard the exact same sonic traits and differences with all of them.

So for me, it looks like I'll be sticking with R2R DACs going forward, which now makes me really wish Schiit would hurry up and release a "Modius Multibit" DAC ASAP! While I would still recommend the Modius as a great entry-level DAC, it's not without some caveats. To sum it up, I think the Modius will be a better fit for those who usually prefer the smoother, easier to drink store-bought OJ over the more acidic, pulpy and occasionally seedy (?!?) fresh-squeezed stuff.
My Modius should be here tomorrow. I really hope I like it. Modi Multibit is the only DAC I’ve had so far.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #99 of 941

The Modius is a very good sounding DAC, and an excellect value at it's price. But it still very much sounds like a delta-sigma based DAC. It doesn't rewrite the rules for what a good quality, entry-level DS DAC is capable of, so you shouldn't expect any miracles in that regard. The Modius does have a somewhat larger soundstage and it images a little better when compared to the MM. But the MM has that "Multibit Magic", primarily in the mids and treble, that in all honesty, I've now become quite addicted to. And just to be extra thorough, I listened to the Modius with all three of my amps using both of it's RCA and XLR outputs, and I heard the exact same sonic traits and differences with all of them.

So for me, it looks like I'll be sticking with R2R DACs going forward, which now makes me really wish Schiit would hurry up and release a "Modius Multibit" DAC ASAP! While I would still recommend the Modius as a great entry-level DAC, it's not without some caveats. To sum it up, I think the Modius will be a better fit for those who usually prefer the smoother, easier to drink store-bought OJ over the more acidic, pulpy and occasionally seedy (?!?) fresh-squeezed stuff.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I like the OJ analogy - I own the Modi Multi bit and it's a great DAC with an addictive sound quality.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #101 of 941
I ordered the Modius as much for the connectivity and functionality as a good or different sound though. I think I will be pretty happy if it at least sounds enjoyable to me. The features and price are strong selling points.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #103 of 941

Can you tell us what amps and headphones out of curiosity. It really helps paint a clearer picture.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #104 of 941

Thanks for the review, has helped me in my decision. I do have a mimby and love it

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #105 of 941
That was easy enough to follow. Very good analogy. I can see the new add for the Modius MB, "Always Fresh, Never Fozen".
LOL!! Love it! :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back