Schiit Modi USB DAC
Dec 22, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #33 of 870
Quote:

Actually, this is a great question. We cause some people a lot of consternation because they expect us to participate in Black Friday sales, holiday promos, summer sales, package deals, loyalty programs, etc. The reality is that every one of those programs has exactly three effects:

1. It makes everyone wait for the sales, so suddenly your company is addicted to sales.
2. It makes everyone who bought before the sales wonder if they got screwed.
3. It makes everything cost more.

Read #3 again. The simplest sales model is one where everything is a fixed cost, no sales, no promos, no special package deals, no loyalty programs. And simple is inexpensive. Simple means we don't have to pass the cost along to you. Anytime we do a sale, start a promo, offer a package deal, or start a loyalty program, we're adding cost to our products.

That's why we have one price list, no discounts, no sales, no promos--because it passes the savings along to everyone.

100% behind you on this Jason, particularly as a consumer from somewhere-outside-the-lower-48 - Bravo. If someone can find a better product that competes on price, then clearly they should buy it - if not, they need to either put up or shut up. That might sound harsh, but its reality.

I have no idea how you bring *any* of your gear in at their respective price points, but I applaud you for doing so. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #34 of 870
I've heard things about the Modi being at a disadvantage simply because it is USB powered. Someone in another thread said that it would probably sound a lot better from a usb hub with dedicated power. All placebo or...?

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #35 of 870
I've heard things about the Modi being at a disadvantage simply because it is USB powered. Someone in another thread said that it would probably sound a lot better from a usb hub with dedicated power. All placebo or...?

There's been a million or so threads/posts/ramblings/dissertations/rants/soliloquies about this.  It all depends on the quality of your computer's USB port(s).  If they're poorly implemented and succeptible to noise, then yes.. a powered hub might help.  In most cases, I don't think it'll be an issue.. and even if it is, I doubt the improvement will be as magnificent as some have claimed.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #36 of 870

I haven't found any difference plugging the Modi directly into my laptop vs. plugging it in via a powered USB hub. It does make a big difference in the sound for an ipad, though--there isn't any if you try to draw current from a CCK USB port with the Modi.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #37 of 870
Quote:
There's been a million or so threads/posts/ramblings/dissertations/rants/soliloquies about this.  It all depends on the quality of your computer's USB port(s).  If they're poorly implemented and succeptible to noise, then yes.. a powered hub might help.  In most cases, I don't think it'll be an issue.. and even if it is, I doubt the improvement will be as magnificent as some have claimed.

This is true to a point, but doesn't tell the whole story.  You have to know whether the DAC circuit regulates the USB power before feeding it to the various stages - USB interface/DAC/analog output.  If it does, then the chances are great that no difference will be heard in all but the most extreme cases.  Several years ago when the Alien DAC was the hottest thing going in DIY DACs, you could build it with the option of using regulators on the USB power or not.  The difference was detectable with many USB connections.  Many chips these days may have their own "voltage generator," but these are not typically as good as a separate regulator. The effect is most noticeable on the analog output, whatever is used to make up that stage (direct output, opamp, discrete, etc.).

Schiit continues to amaze me.  How they do this stuff at these kinds of prices is overwhelming.  They're going to put us all out of business.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #38 of 870
Quote:
I have no idea how you bring *any* of your gear in at their respective price points, but I applaud you for doing so. 

Actually, another great question. It's funny, because I know another audio company providing very high value, low-cost products who was constantly plagued by questions from the press like, "How can you do this so cheap? You can't possibly be making any money on this!" After touring their facility, the press quickly changed their minds, and started asking, "So why is everyone else so expensive?"

As far as how we can do what we do:

1. Direct sale. This is key. Dealers double the cost. Do you like your dealer that much? Companies selling through a typical rep-distributor-dealer model are at about a 2x cost disadvantage to direct sale. Period. End of story. The old distribution model is like nuclear waste--you don't want to get too much on you.

2. Very efficient production engineering. Yes, I know there are still a bunch of people who think we're incompetent engineers who are out to blow up your headphones, but the reality is that if we are good at anything, we're very good production engineers. During my tenure at Sumo, I reduced the active parts inventory by over 80%, while doubling the product line. Mike, at Theta, ran a business that was 8x more efficient than the benchmarks at that time. We are very good at production engineering, and building stuff in large quantities.

3. We are very good at saying "no." No super-zowie gold-plated chassis milled out of a solid block of metal. No color options. No custom configurations. No flavor of the month, special editions, touched-by-the-Designer's-hand models. No sales. No promos. No special deals. No "name" parts for the sake of "name" parts. No "handbuilt by happy elves in Wichita." No palacial office building--hell, our space doesn't even have offices, it's 100% production floor. No pricing-because-that's-what-the-competition-costs. Every one of these things increases the price, so we don't do them.

And yeah, I know, our model isn't for everyone. Sometimes we seem inflexible and curt. But that's only because we are really focused on one thing: delivering great products at lowest cost, while maintaining local production. If that's for you, great. If it isn't, then there are plenty of other options out there.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #39 of 870
I'm all for it. You guys are awesome. Not a lot of companies can have build quality, sound quality, aesthetics, and price. You guys hit all those marks, where most are trading off here and there.

Just waiting on something portable from you. And MAYBE an amp/dac in a single body, lol. :wink:

Maybe an Asgard 2 with more power (closer to Lyr-like power)? I don't have a desire to go balanced, and I don't want tubes. I always wanted the Asgard, but now I'm looking to see what you can come up with now with your resources.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #40 of 870
Thanks Jason, I always appreciate your accessibility. Due to that and the great experiences I have had with your products, I want to use my 100th post to publicly declare:

"I am a Schiit fanboy!!!"

Cheers, Happy Holidays and keep the good Schiit rolling!

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #41 of 870
Quote:

Actually, another great question. It's funny, because I know another audio company providing very high value, low-cost products who was constantly plagued by questions from the press like, "How can you do this so cheap? You can't possibly be making any money on this!" After touring their facility, the press quickly changed their minds, and started asking, "So why is everyone else so expensive?"

1. Direct sale. This is key. Dealers double the cost. Do you like your dealer that much? Companies selling through a typical rep-distributor-dealer model are at about a 2x cost disadvantage to direct sale. Period. End of story. The old distribution model is like nuclear waste--you don't want to get too much on you.

2. Very efficient production engineering. Yes, I know there are still a bunch of people who think we're incompetent engineers who are out to blow up your headphones, but the reality is that if we are good at anything, we're very good production engineers. During my tenure at Sumo, I reduced the active parts inventory by over 80%, while doubling the product line. Mike, at Theta, ran a business that was 8x more efficient than the benchmarks at that time. We are very good at production engineering, and building stuff in large quantities.

3. We are very good at saying "no." No super-zowie gold-plated chassis milled out of a solid block of metal. No color options. No custom configurations. No flavor of the month, special editions, touched-by-the-Designer's-hand models. No sales. No promos. No special deals. No "name" parts for the sake of "name" parts. No "handbuilt by happy elves in Wichita." No palacial office building--hell, our space doesn't even have offices, it's 100% production floor. No pricing-because-that's-what-the-competition-costs. Every one of these things increases the price, so we don't do them.

And yeah, I know, our model isn't for everyone. Sometimes we seem inflexible and curt. But that's only because we are really focused on one thing: delivering great products at lowest cost, while maintaining local production. If that's for you, great. If it isn't, then there are plenty of other options out there.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 870
Unlike some of the headphone-centric manufacturers who I rarely see mentioned elsewhere, Schiit are making serious waves with their DACs elsewhere. Plenty of interest in the Bifrost and Gungnir on Audiokarma, for example, and I no longer see any of the usual attempts at wit around the name (other than from Jason and Mike  :D ).  You are slowly forcing me to rethink my 'no new gear till 2014' policy  ! 

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #43 of 870
Quote:

As I stated a few posts before, I am new to head-fi equipment and to the forum. I just got my first custom IEMs (Westone ES5) and was trying to decide whether to get a DAC/amp to get full benefit of my purchase. The way you talk about your products and your company helped me make up my mind; I ordered the Magni/Modi last night. I work for a software company and take pride in my work even when my management and clients don't. I will take pride in knowing I purchased a quality product from you.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #44 of 870
Just got my Modi, very very happy.  So pleased to have some good American equipment.  I am very pleased with my device.
Thank you for the Schiit!

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #45 of 870
Reading through these posts on how much pride Jason and the folks over at Schiit take in their products makes me that much more excited for my magni + modi to arrive. Ordered on the 17th and still awaiting that life changing email that says "shipped" lol. Ordering close to the holidays and around the launch of a new product sucks. Can't wait to listen to them !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back