Schiit Modi USB DAC
May 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #481 of 870
Does the USB and optical version's of the modi sound alike? I starting to not like the sound signature of the NFB15.32 and want something that a more Neutral and transparent, Plus I don't need the amp section of my NFB15.32 any more.

May 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #482 of 870
  Does the USB and optical version's of the modi sound alike? I starting to not like the sound signature of the NFB15.32 and want something that a more Neutral and transparent, Plus I don't need the amp section of my NFB15.32 any more.

Interestingly, I returned my Opti-Modi because it didn't sound different enough from my SB Omni sound card.  I was considering the 15.32 in hopes that the DAC would be noticeably better.  Now I have second thoughts...

May 7, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #483 of 870
Interestingly, I returned my Opti-Modi because it didn't sound different enough from my SB Omni sound card.  I was considering the 15.32 in hopes that the DAC would be noticeably better.  Now I have second thoughts...

Apparently the sabre sac chip in the 11.32 is more neutral and transparent then the 15.32 dac chip, I'm considering one at the moment

May 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #484 of 870
Apparently the sabre sac chip in the 11.32 is more neutral and transparent then the 15.32 dac chip, I'm considering one at the moment

It's $100 more than the 15.32 tho...

May 14, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #485 of 870
Today I had opportunity to do quick and limited A/B comparison between  my friend's Schiit Modi and mine Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 (bought early 2014). Quick story short: for me both are in the same league, but sound different.

Test equipment:
Sennheiser HD650
Little Dot MkIV
Mac Mini + Vox music player playing ALAC files (44.1k/16bit)

Test tracks:
Anita Lipnicka & John Porter:
 - Bones of love
 - Baggar's song

I didn't have enough time to try different music or setups.

Dragonfly is a little bit warmer with slightly fuller, more forward mids. Modi, in comparison seems to be more neutral in mids, but it has slightly (tiny bit) more bass impact. Highs are very comparable. I didn't notice any difference in sound stage for my test tracks.

I'd need to try more music to decide which one I like more. For those two tracks, it is almost a tie, I slightly lean towards Modi, due to more neutral sound. I feel that Dragon fly would have the edge with heavier music.

Overall, Dragonfly's portability makes it much better deal for me right now. I've never heard Dragonfly 1.2, so I don't know how Modi would stack against updated version.

May 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #489 of 870
hello....

so, im going to buy my first dac/amp ever. i've never use a dac/amp before. i've read schiit websites, but im still confused about modi usb / optical.
i've read the faqs but i still don't understand it.

does anybody mind describing to me the difference between usb / optical modi...? How do i know which one i will need...?

cheers

rovopio... :d

May 24, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #490 of 870
  hello....

so, im going to buy my first dac/amp ever. i've never use a dac/amp before. i've read schiit websites, but im still confused about modi usb / optical.
i've read the faqs but i still don't understand it.

does anybody mind describing to me the difference between usb / optical modi...? How do i know which one i will need...?

cheers

rovopio... :d

The USB version only supports a USB input from a computer/tablet.

The optical version only supports TOSLINK optical input from a CD/DVD/BR player (or in rare cases, a computer).

The one you'll need depends on what you are hooking up to it.

May 24, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #491 of 870

The USB version only supports a USB input from a computer/tablet.

The optical version only supports TOSLINK optical input from a CD/DVD/BR player (or in rare cases, a computer).

The one you'll need depends on what you are hooking up to it.

im going to hook it to my pc / laptop.
idk what optical input means or look because i dont have BR player and i never see one (never see an optical dac i mean). i have an old dvd player but idk which one is optical...

May 24, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #492 of 870

im going to hook it to my pc / laptop.
idk what optical input means or look because i dont have BR player and i never see one (never see an optical dac i mean). i have an old dvd player but idk which one is optical...

You'll probably want the USB, then. Just realize you won't be able to use it with the old DVD player. The optical connection looks like a little square with a circle in it. On the CD player side, it usually has a little door that swings up covering it.

May 26, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #493 of 870
alrighty...so i understand from reviews that schiit modi magni comes with very minimal extras...
i've never used dac / amp in person before. so i barely know nothing about dac / amp. the only thing i know abt it is that for budget SS amp, magni + modi is one of the best bet.

so... if i buy schiit modi + magni combo, what else should i buy to make the schiit magni + modi combo works...?

i know that i have to buy a USB A => B cable.. but other than that what else...?

cheers...

May 26, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #494 of 870
  alrighty...so i understand from reviews that schiit modi magni comes with very minimal extras...
i've never used dac / amp in person before. so i barely know nothing about dac / amp. the only thing i know abt it is that for budget SS amp, magni + modi is one of the best bet.

so... if i buy schiit modi + magni combo, what else should i buy to make the schiit magni + modi combo works...?

i know that i have to buy a USB A => B cable.. but other than that what else...?

cheers...

You will need a Dual RCA to Dual RCA cable to go from the Modi to the Magni and also a 3.5mm to 1/4inch adaptor if your HPs dont terminate with 1/4 inch.

May 26, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #495 of 870

cheers...

A pair of headphones really help. And some interconnects between the two.

(sorry really couldn't help it :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back