Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #511 of 870
hey guys.
this might sound silly, but is there a USB to optical converter? i have the modi usb version but i think i'll need the optical version because i received a x-fi titanium hd sound card to use.
any advice would be appreciated!

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #512 of 870
Using an additional sound card would be unnecessary. You'll have the same information being converted by identical hardware it would make more sense to stick with USB and not bother with the sound card.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #513 of 870
  Using an additional sound card would be unnecessary. You'll have the same information being converted by identical hardware it would make more sense to stick with USB and not bother with the sound card.

i figured as much, but i was hoping to use all the hardware presented to me. i guess one will have to go. :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #514 of 870
I just looked up that card, it seems like a decent card. It does not appear however to have any optical digital I/O. Unless I'm mistaken it would not even work with an external optical only DAC. You could try to run your amp from the Modi and from the Titanium and see which you prefer. Honestly I'd expect it to be a pretty close wash supposing the Titanium doesn't utilize any extraneous DSP.

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #516 of 870
The Magni requires RCA to the DAC. The Mod, depending on the version, will either require a USB or optical SPIDIF to the source. You'll have to buy your own cables. You don't have to spend a fortune on overpriced cables. Try Monoprice.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #517 of 870
I've been struggling my Modi ever since I got it a month ago.  I've been experiencing occasional clicks in the audio, and today I finally tracked it down to the wireless NIC in my computer (on the PCI-express bus mind you) causing substantial DPC latency problems, which manifests itself as quick dropouts in audio whenever there's substantial network activity.  You can evaluate your computer for yourself using this tool:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

At this point, I don't know if it's only an issue with USB audio or what, but I don't remember experiencing this issue with a PCI-based DAC.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #519 of 870
Just received my Wyrd! Early listening with the Modi, lowers the noise floor, music comes out of deep, deep blackness, articulation is clearly superior to the Modi alone! Tames my noisy ASUS USB's, combined with the Lyr 2 and my 650's, clear, deep, oh so musical. More to come my Alpha Dogs will be here tomorrow.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #520 of 870
  Try a powered USB hub.  I have had issues in the past with ethernet causing dropouts while using my Uberfrost.  A powered hub got rid of the problem for me.  

I tried this with a powered hub I have sitting around, and it already sounds a lot better so far!  I'll report back if I still experience any issues in the long run.  I wonder why they didn't make the Modi self-powered in the first place...

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #521 of 870
Just received my Wyrd! Early listening with the Modi, lowers the noise floor, music comes out of deep, deep blackness, articulation is clearly superior to the Modi alone! Tames my noisy ASUS USB's, combined with the Lyr 2 and my 650's, clear, deep, oh so musical. More to come my Alpha Dogs will be here tomorrow.

Yeah, the ASUS USB's can be notoriously noisy. I'm probably going to add a Wyrd onto my next amp order. Just trying to decide what to get. I want to go tube to use with DT880-600's. Looking at either Valhalla2 or Lyr2 due to having the pre-out connections.

Might just start with a Vali though, and ease into the tube world. That way I won't be tempted to immediately begin rolling. My wallet might thank me.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #522 of 870
^^^Awww, come on tube rolling is good, clean fun......though I did have a tragic event yesterday:sob:. Amperex Bugle Boy lost it's vacuum, buried him in the backyard next to my Daughter's dearly departed Bunny.

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #523 of 870
  ...substantial DPC latency problems...

I've suffered from this in the past; my audio and video performance would just **** out randomly. I removed USB devices until I was able to discover which device was causing it by process of elimination. This is a sore spot for [debugging] Windows; it was a minefield trying to find information and all people can do is recommend you use those perf tools to see how bad it is and not how to fix it.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #524 of 870
Hi!

I'm waiting to receive both of Hifiman He 500 and Project Sunrise Amp (because it was cheap 2nd hand).

I've been reading a lot about dac and i don't want to spend too much money for it.

My question is simple, Will my setup benefit from a Modi vs let's say...a HiFiMeDIY Sabre ES9023+SA9023 ? With cost hald the price of the Modi ?

I can't figure out the aswer...Thank you!

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #525 of 870
I'm the process of ordering a Schiit Vali, to be used in conjunction with a Fiio x3 as a DAC. Would it be worth it to add a Modi to my order? Would the sound improve coming from an x3 (as opposed to onboard audio and the like), or can i save myself 100 squids? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back