Schiit Modi USB DAC
May 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #498 of 870
May 27, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #499 of 870
That if you didn't get the Optical modi which comes with a wall walt.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #500 of 870
Hi,

I’ve the great modi/magni combo, and it’s been working for the last 10 months or so.
today I sat to enjoy some music, “ I don’t know how to describe it accurately “ but there was this awful, heavily applied Electronic Effect on my music !! it’s heavy you can’t even recognize the song !

after some extensive testing, I think it’s the Modi, and here’s what I did

1. Tried changing the RCA cables.
  2. Tried changing the USB cable.
  3. I tested it on another PC, regularly I’m on a Mac.
  4. Tried disabling "Windows USB Power Management", makes no difference.
  5. I tested “Magni” alone with a Mixamp I use for Movies/Games, and it’s working just fine.

So it has to be the Modi, anyone experienced the same issue ? any suggestions ?

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #501 of 870
  Hi,

I’ve the great modi/magni combo, and it’s been working for the last 10 months or so.
today I sat to enjoy some music, “ I don’t know how to describe it accurately “ but there was this awful, heavily applied Electronic Effect on my music !! it’s heavy you can’t even recognize the song !

after some extensive testing, I think it’s the Modi, and here’s what I did

1. Tried changing the RCA cables.
  2. Tried changing the USB cable.
  3. I tested it on another PC, regularly I’m on a Mac.
  4. Tried disabling "Windows USB Power Management", makes no difference.
  5. I tested “Magni” alone with a Mixamp I use for Movies/Games, and it’s working just fine.

So it has to be the Modi, anyone experienced the same issue ? any suggestions ?

You're still under warranty; contact Schiit. They'll take care of you.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #502 of 870
Hi there. I  was wondering if some one might advice me concerning the differences between Optical and USB options on the Modi.  I am aware of arguments such as that  'USB 2.0 Asyncronous' does not introduce as much 'Jitter' as Optical input, etc, but I am wondering if I am reading to much into these arguments. After all, we talking of the Modi which is a entry level DAC after all and perhaps there are other factor that I am missing. The argument that I should just listen to both options and choose I my kind of thinking but I can't to that as I am ordering online.

Please help. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #503 of 870
  Hi there. I  was wondering if some one might advice me concerning the differences between Optical and USB options on the Modi.  I am aware of arguments such as that  'USB 2.0 Asyncronous' does not introduce as much 'Jitter' as Optical input, etc, but I am wondering if I am reading to much into these arguments. After all, we talking of the Modi which is a entry level DAC after all and perhaps there are other factor that I am missing. The argument that I should just listen to both options and choose I my kind of thinking but I can't to that as I am ordering online.

Please help. 

Instead of stressing over sonic differences on a $99 DAC with separate digital input options, just consider which one you're most likely to use, which I'd say might be USB. Gaming motherboards not only come with better headphone driver circuits, but full 5v power through all USB ports in the back; laptops also no longer have 3.5mm analog+optical combo jacks. Android and iOS also use USB audio with an adapter, and there's the Schiit Wyrd to supply power for these* if you should want to use such devices in the future. 

The optical Modi would be a very useful upgrade to those with an outdated CDP with a working transport, spare video disc sources, or CD transports (no DAC circuits inside) lying around. Or for example if one's speaker system uses an amp that doesn't have the same connectivity options as the traditional integrated amp (like compact Class D amps with no loop nor preamp outputs), then you can hook up the Modi to the optical output then a Magni for when you can't listen to speakers.

*Theoretically for now; still waiting for confirmation if anyone's tried it with Android and iOS with no issues

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #504 of 870
Their differences are simple.

The USB Modi has an Upstream USB 2.0 (1.0) B port on the back, and a left/right analog RCA outputs. Your system sees it as an additional sound device. Only works with USB host devices.

The Optical Modi has a female Toslink port on the back, a left/right analog RCA output pair, AND a male barrel connector for power. Your system must have optical output. Works with anything that has optical S/PDIF output.

If you want a USB plug and play device for a computer get the USB, if you want to use it with a CD player or other device that doesn't support USB host for audio devices get the optical.

If you can't live with another wallwart power supply you'll need the USB.

That is the extent of their differences that affect the user in any way.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #505 of 870
The optical modi is also good for those who want to use their gaming sound cards software suite thru their external dac's as wel for the features on the card or if their onboard audio has the software suite that they need.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #506 of 870
The FAQ on the Schiit website is noncommittal about whether a powered USB hub is needed when using the Modi with iPhone/iPad.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Sorry if this has already been covered.  Thanks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #507 of 870
^I don't know about an IPad, but you do need a powered USB Hub for the IPhone, the phone doesn't have the juice to power a Modi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back