Schiit Modi USB DAC
Apr 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #452 of 870
Have you tried different USB ports? Stay away from USB 3.

I was using a USB2 port and did not try other ports. I did look at the USB and DAC troubleshooting guides on the Schiit website, but nothing really seemed to apply to my situation. I honestly can't think of an explanation as to how this problem could in any way be a problem with the computer or the USB ports. USB isn't like an audio cable with separate right/left signals, it's just data +, data -, GND, and +5V DC. If it was a cable or port problem I should have gotten no sound at all. Instead the left side never skipped a beat and kept functioning while the right side temporarily lost its mind and fixed itself when I unplugged/replugged it.

The fact that the left side was working but the right side wasn't makes me think the problem was contained within the DAC. Maybe something weird like a buildup of static electricity on a component that isn't properly grounded.

In the grand scheme of things, I really want all of my new Schiit gear to work, but the little niggling problems on the digital side are not confidence inspiring.

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #453 of 870
I just got a Modi about a month ago. While it does not make a major difference, it does improve sound quality a noticeable amount. It is worth $100 for sure, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #454 of 870
The Modi now has the option for Optical or USB.  Optical is the same price.  I've been waiting for this option for some time so I'm very excited.  I ordered one this morning and it will be my first standalone DAC as well as my first Schiit product.  Can't wait!

On a side note, I ordered the SYS also.  Gonna have a mini Schiit stack!

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #455 of 870
Man, I wished I'd known they were going to offer the optical option. I bought my Modi in January, and there was only USB at that point.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #457 of 870
Yeah, they are relatively inexpensive. I could use one Modi to hook up to my powered desktop speakers, and one to go to my Asgard 2, which has its pre-out going to a Pioneer SA-8800 integrated amp.

May 2, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #459 of 870
I don't know why they cant have a option to have both USB and optical on the modi and not just one or the other. At-least give the option.

May 2, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #460 of 870
Because I'm anal and I've just for some reason mistakenly removed a rubber foot from my modi, does anyone know where I can get rubber feet like the ones that come with the Schiit products?

Thank you in advance.

May 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #463 of 870
May 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #464 of 870
  FiiO E17 has both and is smaller. Just saying...

But I kinda doubt it's the same design as the Modi :)

Of course you could design a smaller DAC with both, but that isn't the question. The question is whether a Modi with both USB and optical would fit in the current Modi's case.

Having not opened mine up it is just speculation on my part. Overall, I'd think price is the biggest reason.

May 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #465 of 870
But I kinda doubt it's the same design as the Modi :)

Of course you could design a smaller DAC with both, but that isn't the question. The question is whether a Modi with both USB and optical would fit in the current Modi's case.

Having not opened mine up it is just speculation on my part. Overall, I'd think price is the biggest reason.
...huh...

Apparently with the release of Modi optical, the picture of the PCB on Schiit's website was replaced with the optical version. IIRC, there were far fewer components on the USB version than there are the optical one, which makes sense to me considering the need for external power.

At any rate, two Modis would hardly take up any space, and you would get an extra degree of modularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back