Schiit Modi USB DAC
Mar 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #436 of 870
Mar 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #437 of 870
  There is a lot of discussion on it, but the best resource I found for explaining it all is http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/BitPerfectPlayback.htm and http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/OperatingSystem.htm

The idea is to get all the bits of your music to your DAC with no modification or alteration.

Good reads. This may be beyond the scope of this thread. But... How do I properly set up Win 7 64 Pro, Foobar2000 and my Schiit Modi?

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #439 of 870
Good reads. This may be beyond the scope of this thread. But... How do I properly set up Win 7 64 Pro, Foobar2000 and my Schiit Modi?

This:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

1) set the Windows output for your Modi to 24-bit 96kHz
2) install and configure your Foobar2000 to use WASAPI (File -> Preference -> Playback -> Output -> WASAPI)
3) time to put on some tunes!

I haven't figured out what difference there is between WASAPI (event) and WASAPI (push) yet.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #440 of 870
This:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

1) set the Windows output for your Modi to 24-bit 96kHz
2) install and configure your Foobar2000 to use WASAPI (File -> Preference -> Playback -> Output -> WASAPI)
3) time to put on some tunes!

I haven't figured out what difference there is between WASAPI (event) and WASAPI (push) yet.

I did that, now nothing will play and I get an error.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #441 of 870
^^ There could be a number of reasons causing this (many of which are probably beyond my wildest guess), but I would consider the following:

- from what I understand, WASAPI uses something called "exclusive mode". I think that means only 1 device / one program can be used for audio playback. Do you currently have your Modi setup in Windows to be your default audio output device? If that's the case, you'd need to change that. If your Modi is already the default audio device, Foobar2k won't be able to get the "exclusive mode" access that it needs for WASAPI.

- is your music in a format that the Modi doesn't support? (seems unlikely, but it is still worth asking)

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #444 of 870
Anyone know if there is any European online shop selling this? Shipping from USA is expensive when compared to the price of the product.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #445 of 870
  Anyone know if there is any European online shop selling this? Shipping from USA is expensive when compared to the price of the product.

A quick search on their website would have presented you with this:

http://schiit.com/faq/international

Plenty to choose from in Europe. Ideally use: www.schiit-europe.com (the official distributor/importer). Not sure though if it's really cheaper than shipping from the US...

Cheers,
K

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #446 of 870
Actually figured out from U.S. website and from European website that it would be a savings at least to the U.K. from 20-25 euros less to order from U.S. Of course this is not taking into account duty fees, etc. But it still may be less expensive ordering from U.S. website.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #447 of 870
Quick update - a reply from Schiit said
1.) the modi can be prone to static.
2.) put it where you won't touch it.

But I must touch the Modi!

Time to put up a small "Don't Touch" sign on my Modi.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #448 of 870
So today was the first run with the Magni/Modi at work and I ran into a strange problem after a few hours of listening. I started hearing a crackling noise (almost like white noise, but not quite) from the right headphone, then after a while 5-15s (can't rememeber), the sound just completely cut out from the right side, while the left side just kept on trucking. At first I thought I had a loose headphone plug or a cable worked it's way loose, but it turned out to be the DAC. Unplugging/replugging the USB cable going into the Modi fixed everything and it ran fine for maybe 2 more hours after that. 

Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Setup was the following:
Dell Precision M4600 w/ Windows 7->USB(WASAPI?)->Modi->Magni->Audeze LCD-XC.

*EDIT - added clarification about what happened*

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #449 of 870
So today was the first run with the Magni/Modi at work and I ran into a strange problem after a few hours of listening. I started hearing a crackling noise (almost like white noise, but not quite) from the right headphone, then after a while 5-15s (can't rememeber), the sound just completely cut out. At first I thought I had a loose headphone plug or a cable worked it's way loose, but it turned out to be the DAC. Unplugging/replugging the USB cable going into the Modi fixed everything and it ran fine for maybe 2 more hours after that. 

Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Setup was the following:
Dell Precision M4600 w/ Windows 7->USB(WASAPI?)->Modi->Magni->Audeze LCD-XC.
Use a different USB cable, preferably one that is less than 3 feet long. That solved the problem for me.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #450 of 870
Use a different USB cable, preferably one that is less than 3 feet long. That solved the problem for me.

Edited my original post to make it clear that right right side died while the left side kept going as if nothing had happened. I have a really hard time believing my USB cable was at fault in that case. It's already pretty short, but I'll see if I can dig one up that's even shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back