Schiit Modi+ :: Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #61 of 90
Tracking, yes. That is how I know where it is 'stuck'. They sent it Monday, should have been here Thursday. Tracking said delivery Friday. Today is Saturday.
Ah in that case you might get it Monday then, sometimes I find postal office forever reason get mess things up and cause extra delay.

The worst is when they arrive my town then for whatever reason got sent away to another town again then return few days later.

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #62 of 90
The Modi+ finally made it into my mailbox today.

20240305_185107.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 90
Scratched another gear itch with a B-stock Modi+. It freshens up my bedside rig of repurposed kit: Bluesound Node 2i streamer, feeding Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp, powering HD 6XX.

The upgrade seems obvious. But I don’t dismiss the streamer’s onboard DAC for a secondary listening station, not to mention a sleepy one. It sounds fine. Adding the Modi seemed a little indulgent, even for such a reasonable price and use case.

But sure enough, the Modi wakes up the HD 6XX. Thins the veil, if you will. A straightforward performance upgrade, maybe enhanced by improved synergy. And another example of HD 6XX’s ability to scale (usually associated with amplification).

To be fair, the streamer packs a lot of functionality into its modest budget. Even an entry level standalone DAC—not to mention a generation or two newer—figures to outperform.

The rig is klugey. I have a linear power supply for the amp. So I have three components piled under the nightstand. Fortunately the only control I need for them is the switch on the power strip. Just the main amp on the table, tube glowing away.

The amp was the darling of mid-fi price/performance in its day. Now it has unbearably low resale value, and cumbersome to ship with the LPS. So, off to the nightstand. Modi+ restores some of its glory.

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #68 of 90
What are the differences between the Modi+ and the Modi 3??
To my understanding, you have:

Modi 3 (AKM chip, gen 5 USB)
Modi 3+ (AKM chip, Unison USB)
Modi 3E (ESS chip, Unison USB)
Modi+ (ESS chip, Unison USB)

The notable difference is that Modi 3+ is the first time Modi adapt Unison USB.

Modi 3E is a response to the AKM fire and chip shortage.

I think by the time they reached Modi+ they refined the sound coming from the ESS chip. I've read some reviews that people didn't care for Modi 3E sound wise.

And Schiit need better naming progression, this is confusing as hell LOL.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #71 of 90
To my understanding, you have:

Modi 3 (AKM chip, gen 5 USB)
Modi 3+ (AKM chip, Unison USB)
Modi 3E (ESS chip, Unison USB)
Modi+ (ESS chip, Unison USB)

The notable difference is that Modi 3+ is the first time Modi adapt Unison USB.

Modi 3E is a response to the AKM fire and chip shortage.

I think by the time they reached Modi+ they refined the sound coming from the ESS chip. I've read some reviews that people didn't care for Modi 3E sound wise.

And Schiit need better naming progression, this is confusing as hell LOL.
The 3E was the only Schiit DAC that I've owned and didn't like.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #72 of 90
I have the Modi+ and I like it better than my Bifrost MB (original 2018).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back