Schiit Modi+ :: Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 90
Just an update for those that care, I did receive both my Schiit Modi+ and Magni+ (non Heretic version). These are the new models they just released. I am really enjoying them lately. For comparasion I also own the Zen Dac V1 along ith the Fiio K5 Pro ESS.

The audio from the Schiit is nice and clear with no background noise. Also instruments seem to wrap around my head more than with my other 2 dacs. I am basically using the Schiit stack exclusively now and haven't gone back to my other dacs. Good quality amp and dac if you're thinking about picking one up. Also enjoy supporting Made in America products as well.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 90
Does Modi+ remember the input selection when power cycled? For example, if USB is connected for power only, and optical is selected, will optical still be selected when the power is removed and then restored?

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 90
Does Modi+ remember the input selection when power cycled? For example, if USB is connected for power only, and optical is selected, will optical still be selected when the power is removed and then restored?
I only use the USB portion but every time I shutdown my computer and it come back on it always stays on it. I don’t use any of the other selections though. So I assume it does.

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #20 of 90
I only use the USB portion but every time I shutdown my computer and it come back on it always stays on it. I don’t use any of the other selections though. So I assume it does.
USB is the first one in the order, and I'd expect it to be active by default, especially if actually connected to a computer. The question is, does it remember if the other inputs were selected?

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 90
No Modi+ owners?
Good morning, I have the new model and like I posted above I really enjoy it. It has become my main DAC now after all my others. I don't know what else to say about it. It is nice and clear and works great. If you are using it with a computer though, it does stay on all the time since it's powered by USB-C. So, a little white led will be lit. It has a very soft glow though. The quality is top notch on the build quality, built like a tank. I would recommend it.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #25 of 90
Good morning, I have the new model and like I posted above I really enjoy it. It has become my main DAC now after all my others. I don't know what else to say about it. It is nice and clear and works great. If you are using it with a computer though, it does stay on all the time since it's powered by USB-C. So, a little white led will be lit. It has a very soft glow though. The quality is top notch on the build quality, built like a tank. I would recommend it.
Thanks! I'm a long time owner of Schiit DACs and headphone amps. I've always enjoyed their multibit DACs and I thought that the Modi 3 and Modius AKM DACs were good. I had a Modi 3E that I didn't care for and the Modi+ uses the ES9018 too. I've read that there were changes with the Modi+. I appreciate your reply.

May 2, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #26 of 90
Hi can anyone please tell if this new modi+ is bright or sibilant enough to cause listening fatigue?
Schiit modis reached popularity because of the AKM chips, but i wonder if the ESS SABRE thing changed them very far from where they were known.

May 2, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 90
Hi can anyone please tell if this new modi+ is bright or sibilant enough to cause listening fatigue?
Schiit modis reached popularity because of the AKM chips, but i wonder if the ESS SABRE thing changed them very far from where they were known.
I had the Modi 3E with ES9018 in it and didn't care for it. I hope they tweaked the 3E and came up with another great Schiit DAC in the Modi+.

May 9, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #28 of 90
Anyone else having issues getting this to work on a Mac?

Just received this today and disappointed I'm already having issues :frowning2: I plug it into my MacBook Pro's USB-C port, the lights light briefly, then go out, and the unit is completely non-responsive at this point. The computer doesn't seem to be recognizing it. It worked fine this morning now can't get it to do anything.

May 9, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 90
Anyone else having issues getting this to work on a Mac?

Just received this today and disappointed I'm already having issues :frowning2: I plug it into my MacBook Pro's USB-C port, the lights light briefly, then go out, and the unit is completely non-responsive at this point. The computer doesn't seem to be recognizing it. It worked fine this morning now can't get it to do anything.
Hmm, mine has worked perfectly since i got it. Assuming you clicked accept on the first message about allowing the usb accessory to be recognized when first plugging it in, and you have it selected as sound output device in System Settings --> Sound ---> output. Are you plugged into the USB port for data or the one for just power? If you are in the Data port, you can try connecting an additional USB C cable to a wall adapter to see if the additional power turns it on.

Otherwise I got no clue, and you might have just gotten a bum unit. I'm sorry you're having trouble.

May 10, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #30 of 90
Hmm, mine has worked perfectly since i got it. Assuming you clicked accept on the first message about allowing the usb accessory to be recognized when first plugging it in, and you have it selected as sound output device in System Settings --> Sound ---> output. Are you plugged into the USB port for data or the one for just power? If you are in the Data port, you can try connecting an additional USB C cable to a wall adapter to see if the additional power turns it on.

Otherwise I got no clue, and you might have just gotten a bum unit. I'm sorry you're having trouble.

So it looks like if I plug it into the wall, the light stays on, but plugging into the computer, the computer still won't recognize it. Tried it with my PC as well, no luck. Completely bricked. I will be returning it. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back