Schiit Modi+ :: Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #46 of 90
@Currawong suggested replacing the Modi+ 5V supply wart with an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad 5V charger. It does make a remarkable difference on the Modi+. Smoother sound, more articulated bass. Try it! Use the correct Apple product, not fakes.

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #47 of 90
Anyone knows if the Modi+ reconstruction filter does 8x upsampling?
Don't quote me on it but..... to my understanding is that the 8x oversampling filter come from the Bifrost 2 mega combo burrito filter. And MMB2 being the newest product inherited the same mega combo burrito filter from Bifrost 2.

So my educated guess is that Modi+ probably just have the same filter as the older Modi maybe????
@Currawong suggested replacing the Modi+ 5V supply wart with an Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad 5V charger. It does make a remarkable difference on the Modi+. Smoother sound, more articulated bass. Try it! Use the correct Apple product, not fakes.
But what if I use Windows computer, do I need a Microsoft Surface 5V charger? :laughing:
..... LOL jk. We do have iPad charger at home except I don't have Modi+ yet......

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #49 of 90
I replaced the Modi Multibit v1 in my wife's setup with the Modi+. She requested black to go with her Magni Piety and they look good together. They also sound good together, and despite using an ESS Sabre chip and only having a Meze 99 Classic, the Piety was extracting quite a bit of layering and three dimensional sound out of the Modi+. Although the differences would only be slight, I'd definitely say the Modi+ loses nothing to the o.g. Multibit, and may even be an improvement on it.

I mostly got it for her because it can be powered off USB, and I wanted to move the Mimby back to the living room for our little speaker setup.

20240129_124130.jpg
20240129_124350.jpg

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #53 of 90
But why? Windows or Android can adjust volume.
Generally you want 100% digital volume, otherwise you'll reduce dynamic range and quite often I find changes tonal balance too.

I find lower digital volume it become less dynamic and less bass, though vocal do pop forward a bit. But overall gets a bit flat.

In a perfect scenario you do max windows / mac volume then hook up to DAC then amp and only adjust volume from amp. In which case is analogue volume control.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #54 of 90
Generally you want 100% digital volume, otherwise you'll reduce dynamic range and quite often I find changes tonal balance too.

I find lower digital volume it become less dynamic and less bass, though vocal do pop forward a bit. But overall gets a bit flat.

In a perfect scenario you do max windows / mac volume then hook up to DAC then amp and only adjust volume from amp. In which case is analogue volume control.
Exactly! And… if for some reason the digital volume control starts at max, watch out…

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #57 of 90
I see how Schiit operates now. I get suckered in with a $59 Heretic. It sounds so good I ordered up a Modi+ this morning. I doubt it will replace my main rig (in my sig) but I may set it up elsewhere.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #58 of 90
And here we are a week later and no Modi+. Schiit not to blame, they sent it as usual. Local post office hub has it in Purgatory since Thursday. Maybe Monday?

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #60 of 90
Is there a tracking number you can check?

Also if they sent Thursday I'd expect to see it maybe Tuesday? Hang in there lol.
Tracking, yes. That is how I know where it is 'stuck'. They sent it Monday, should have been here Thursday. Tracking said delivery Friday. Today is Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back