Schiit Modi+ :: Impressions Thread
May 10, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 90
So it looks like if I plug it into the wall, the light stays on, but plugging into the computer, the computer still won't recognize it. Tried it with my PC as well, no luck. Completely bricked. I will be returning it. :frowning2:
And your computer is plugged into this usb port, correct?
8DBAF1FB-4C4E-4CD0-A659-60F3A577B159.jpeg

May 10, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 90
Yep, that's the one. Tried two different cables with that port, different pots on my laptop, as well as port on my home-built PC. Can't get it to do anything, even though it worked fine this morning! I came home this evening and noticed my computer wasn't recognizing it (I'd left it on while away) and that's common with a lot of DACs I've used with Macs. The computer goes to sleep and hte DAC has to be unplugged and plugged back in again to be recognized. Maybe leaving it plugged in and on all day ruined it?

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #33 of 90
These DACs are designed with the intent of them being left on all the time. They are low power devices, after all. I have both a Modi+ and a Modi Multibit 2 that I have left on 24/7 without any issues. It seems that your device just requires an RMA request from Schiit. You should be able to get a replacement without much of a fuss.

May 11, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #34 of 90
Yep, that's the one. Tried two different cables with that port, different pots on my laptop, as well as port on my home-built PC. Can't get it to do anything, even though it worked fine this morning! I came home this evening and noticed my computer wasn't recognizing it (I'd left it on while away) and that's common with a lot of DACs I've used with Macs. The computer goes to sleep and hte DAC has to be unplugged and plugged back in again to be recognized. Maybe leaving it plugged in and on all day ruined it?
I don't know if it's the case here, I know some USB-C device only likes USB-C to USB-A cable, somehow they don't like USB-C to USB-C cable.

For example I have a SMSL PO100 and it says to ONLY USE USB-C to USB-A cable, and not to use USB-C to USB-C cable. I was lucky that my PC has USB-A ports.

Though when I had Modi Multibit 2 it was fine running USB-C to USB-C into my phone and it worked without issue. So maybe your unit is just bricked.....???

Otherwise they are pretty low power device and should be fine left on all day.

May 12, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 90
Does Modi+ remember the input selection when power cycled? For example, if USB is connected for power only, and optical is selected, will optical still be selected when the power is removed and then restored?

I know your question was asked a couple of weeks back but no, when powered off the Mod + will default to the USB input regardless of what input was selected when it was shut off.

May 20, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 90
I've decided to order another one of these after the first one fried. This time I will not leave it plugged into my computer while I'm away, as I think that is likely what ruined it. I will keep it unplugged when I'm not using it.

Second time's a charm. If this one fails, then I think I will be giving up on this product. But I've had Schiit DACs in the past without issue, so the last one may have just been a lemon.

May 20, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #38 of 90
I've decided to order another one of these after the first one fried. This time I will not leave it plugged into my computer while I'm away, as I think that is likely what ruined it. I will keep it unplugged when I'm not using it.

Second time's a charm. If this one fails, then I think I will be giving up on this product. But I've had Schiit DACs in the past without issue, so the last one may have just been a lemon.
I feel like it might be a lemon that you got. I've had MM1 and MM2 in the past running 24/7 without issue. Unless Modi+ is slightly different in that regard???

On a side note, I've seen your reply in the SMSL SU-1 thread. By any chance you know how Modi+ compares to the SU-1?

May 22, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #42 of 90
Hi can anyone please tell if this new modi+ is bright or sibilant enough to cause listening fatigue?
Schiit modis reached popularity because of the AKM chips, but i wonder if the ESS SABRE thing changed them very far from where they were known.
Hi @rav88 i am new here but I have had the Modi+ for a few months. I personally don’t feel anything that resembles me of bright or sibilant. Before it I had been using a topping E30 and I think the Modi+ is “nicer” sounding or a bit less analytical (maybe less bright if one can say so) sounding than the E30. No less detail, just the slight feeling of timbre difference I mentioned. In my system though, I still went back to the E30 after a few weeks with the Modi+. Now both are taking a break after I got a new Ares 12th. best regards

Sep 21, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #44 of 90
Anyone having trouble with the toslink connection at 192kHz? My unit is unstable. Only with one cable and if I touch the Modi+ box it breaks the connection. It seems to be a bad toslink input connector. Probably the same in all units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back