Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #92 of 312
I appreciate your review and final observations Defiant00, thanks!  However, don't you have to chalk your final decision up to some subjective bias?
Given in your blind testing you couldn't statistically tell them apart but in your final Real Conclusion you said there is a "slight treble etch".
If so, couldn't you then in your blind testing have detected that treble etch to more accurately identify the M&M combo?

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #93 of 312
Quote:
I appreciate your review and final observations Defiant00, thanks!  However, don't you have to chalk your final decision up to some subjective bias?
Given in your blind testing you couldn't statistically tell them apart but in your final Real Conclusion you said there is a "slight treble etch".
If so, couldn't you then in your blind testing have detected that treble etch to more accurately identify the M&M combo?

Oh absolutely, part of this is definitely subjective, and I can fully confirm that to some extent I like the B&A more just because it was my first good setup and I think it looks better (I don't have an aluminum fetish, I swear!).

I keep trying to write detailed explanations but end up bogged down, so let's try this again in a more casual manner.

Since I wasn't able to instantly switch between stacks and have full control of the music I think the blind test ultimately was at least as much a test of my auditory memory (which is horrible) as it was an actual test of the stacks. I think it was useful in that it demonstrated that they are at least quite similar (no huge glaring issues that made one or the other easily identifiable), but since it required me to try and memorize 30+ seconds of music and then listen for differences after a few second delay I would never claim that it's absolute proof that they are identical, just that they are close enough that my memory is the weak point.

But ultimately though, what it eventually came down to was that during this past week I just found myself not enjoying my music (and using headphones in general) as much. There were a couple songs in my test tracks (incidentally, my test tracks for the most part are songs that I really like and that also happen to be a good example of something I want to test, not just chosen for some sonic trait) that I started skipping because I wasn't finding them as engaging, and one that was actually sounding a bit disjoint (sounded a little like a bunch of separate instruments instead of a song at times). I also found that when watching a couple YouTube channels that I frequent that I was now finding them a little sibilant where (as far as I can recall) I had never felt that way previously.

It's certainly possible that all or part of this is expectation bias, but ultimately for me it's all about enjoying the music, hence my decision.

Oh, and don't think this is negative for the M&M either, taken on their own they sound remarkably good and I would definitely recommend them, I just enjoy the B&A a little bit more, and that's more or less what this hobby is all about.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 312
Great read... Defiant. You really helped me realize that the Magni and Modi should not compared to much to their older brothers (Asgard/Bifrost) but be taken on as their own place on the totem pole. Thanks for the review and comparison, look forward to your next one!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #95 of 312
... Since I wasn't able to instantly switch between stacks and have full control of the music I think the blind test ultimately was at least as much a test of my auditory memory (which is horrible) as it was an actual test of the stacks...

Blind testing is tough unless the switching is instant, all levels are precisely matched, exact same musical sample, etc.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #96 of 312
Quote:
Blind testing is tough unless the switching is instant, all levels are precisely matched, exact same musical sample, etc.

Exactly. I did what I could with the equipment I had, and I think it provided some interesting information and a fun anecdote. However, it certainly wasn't perfect.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #97 of 312
A couple questions after reading this thread:

What are the pitfalls of leaving your computer on say 24/192 all the time? If it'll just revert the sound to 16 anyways, why isn't this the default or does everyone do this?

What material are the M&M made out of if its not aluminum? It looks aluminummy to me...

Any good recs on cables that will bend easily and won't cost more than the stack itself?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #98 of 312
JB you could try the schiit PYST RCA cables, I believe that was what Defiant was using and they are only 20 bucks a pair. Blue Jean RCA cables are in the same ball park price wise. Monoprice are very inexpensive and are what schiit used previously

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #99 of 312

What are the pitfalls of leaving your computer on say 24/192 all the time? If it'll just revert the sound to 16 anyways, why isn't this the default or does everyone do this?

What material are the M&M made out of if its not aluminum? It looks aluminummy to me...

Any good recs on cables that will bend easily and won't cost more than the stack itself?

Thanks!

With Windows, I believe it would then upsample a 16/44 file to 24/96, as the Modi only supports up to 24/96. Personally I want as few changes to the file as possible, and since most of my music is 16/44 I set it to 24/44.

The M&M chassis are made of powder-coated steel.

I second Blue Jeans Cable.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #100 of 312

Thanks!

I see no reason not to leave your computer in 24 bit mode all the time. However, some people prefer to have it set to the same sample rate as their music (so for me 24/44.1) so that Windows isn't resampling everything I play. Would I be able to tell? Probably not. But is it doing extra processing that could theoretically affect how things sound? Yes. Please note that again, this only applies to the sample rate, not the bit depth.

As answered above, it's steel and looks quite nice.

The Schiit PYST cables are good. Monoprice also sells good cables at silly prices (and apparently it's what Schiit uses when testing their amps).

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #103 of 312
Thanks Defiant for a refreshingly honest and good review. Even if it is not perfect, I really appreciate the A/B testing. As others have said there should be more of that around here. I already had the Modi which I think is a great value, but after reading this, I went ahead and got the Magni, as I don't think the Asgard is worth it for me, and then I have both of the same small form factor.

I just recently for HE-400, so I'll be interested to see how much of an issue the gain/volume pot are.

Thanks again for a great review.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #104 of 312
Quote:
Thanks Defiant for a refreshingly honest and good review. Even if it is not perfect, I really appreciate the A/B testing. As others have said there should be more of that around here. I already had the Modi which I think is a great value, but after reading this, I went ahead and got the Magni, as I don't think the Asgard is worth it for me, and then I have both of the same small form factor.

I just recently for HE-400, so I'll be interested to see how much of an issue the gain/volume pot are.

Thanks again for a great review.

Glad you enjoyed it. I also fully agree that there's something nice about DAC and amp having the same form factor, and they do look good stacked :)

From what I've heard on here and my experience with the LCD-2s I expect you'll enjoy the combo a lot with the HE-400s but may need to digitally attenuate a bit for a truly useful volume range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back