Schiit Modi and Magni comparison to Bifrost and Asgard
Jan 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #76 of 312
Wow, I was seriously considering the Bifrost to complement my Lyr, but because of tuition, I figure I might as well get the Modi (didn't even know about it until today!)

Thanks for your review, Defiant00! Definitely solidified my decision to get the Modi. With the subtle increase of treble over the Bifrost, I figure it wouldn't hurt on the HD650. If anything, I could just switch out tubes.

I've been meaning to upgrade the uDac-2 (used primarily as a DAC) for a good while now, and this is a great time for me to do it.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #77 of 312
I have the MM stack and I love it with my HD650s! Ive been using it with my computer at about 10-25% volume and adjusting the magni instead. I do have a question. I'm not sure what you mean by 16 bit and 24 bit files. I've been using ripped files from CDs and I know it's uncompressed at about 1.05mbps or so, but I don't know the difference between the bit files. Can someone help? Thanks!

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #79 of 312
Quote:
I have the MM stack and I love it with my HD650s! Ive been using it with my computer at about 10-25% volume and adjusting the magni instead. I do have a question. I'm not sure what you mean by 16 bit and 24 bit files. I've been using ripped files from CDs and I know it's uncompressed at about 1.05mbps or so, but I don't know the difference between the bit files. Can someone help? Thanks!

to be more specific, CDs are all in 16 bit 44.1 kHz lossless format. 24 bit files are from vinyl rips and such like tmraven said... 

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #80 of 312
Quote:

to be more specific, CDs are all in 16 bit 44.1 kHz lossless format. 24 bit files are from vinyl rips and such like tmraven said... 

How would one go about setting their Windows PC to output 24bit when using 16bit files ( I realize the music is still 16 bit) to allow the other 8 bits to be used as the windows volume control thing like the OP posted? I'd love to turn down windows volume without effecting the sound quality coming out of it and having more control out of my amp.

I tried searching but didn't have much luck.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #81 of 312
Quote:

How would one go about setting their Windows PC to output 24bit when using 16bit files ( I realize the music is still 16 bit) to allow the other 8 bits to be used as the windows volume control thing like the OP posted? I'd love to turn down windows volume without effecting the sound quality coming out of it and having more control out of my amp.

I tried searching but didn't have much luck.

start> control panel> hardware and sound> manage audio devices> (pick the one you want from the list)> properties> advanced> (change to whatever bitrate you want). 

thats hows its like to do it on my samsung notebook but i dont use my notebook for music. unlike most people here, i do not have a desktop setup. for music, i use my portable dap, ibasso dx100. so for desktop audio, im sure someone else can answer it much better than i can. good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #82 of 312
I usually right click on the 'speaker' icon near the time on the bottom right of the task bar. Go to playback devices, and right click on the device you're using (in my case, the ODAC), go to properties, advanced, and default format. You change that setting.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #83 of 312
Quote:

start> control panel> hardware and sound> manage audio devices> (pick the one you want from the list)> properties> advanced> (change to whatever bitrate you want). 

thats hows its like to do it on my samsung notebook but i dont use my notebook for music. unlike most people here, i do not have a desktop setup. for music, i use my portable dap, ibasso dx100. so for desktop audio, im sure someone else can answer it much better than i can. good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I usually right click on the 'speaker' icon near the time on the bottom right of the task bar. Go to playback devices, and right click on the device you're using (in my case, the ODAC), go to properties, advanced, and default format. You change that setting.

Thank you both. I have made the change and am using it in 24 bit format now. I may not immediately notice any difference, however I know it is set correctly and that just makes me feel better.

Thanks again.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #84 of 312
There shouldn't be any difference, until you have actual 24 bit content. Most audio is 16/44.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #85 of 312
Does anyone know how the Modi DAC, stacks up against the DAC on the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card? I'm wondering if I should buy both Magni/Modi or just get the Magni and use the DAC on my sound card.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #89 of 312
First post updated with final conclusions. In short, goodbye Modi and Magni.

They're definitely remarkably close to the Bifrost and Asgard, but overall I just enjoy the B&A stack more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back