Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Oct 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #1,547 of 3,541
Quote:
That was most liklely the Molinjir...with the GS-X, there is a very good improvement balanced vs. single-ended with the W4S DAC-2.

Which makes sense since its a bridged amp, not a differential one.  Ie, single ended input doesn't result in balanced output.  WA22 has the same limit ignoring its output is always single ended :p

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,551 of 3,541
No its a bridged amplifier, ie two amp boards to make a single balanced channel.  Term game, confusing I know.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,553 of 3,541
why do schitt use halo armour names? are halo armour names german or something?

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,554 of 3,541
Quote:

Oh sh_ _   OK..

It's not the end of the world, just means if you used a single ended input you wouldn't get balanced output.  The Bryston takes the whole differential thing to the extreme of always feeding the input stage a single ended signal regardless of whether you use balanced and single ended input :O

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,555 of 3,541
Quote:

Seriously... 
rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,556 of 3,541
Quote:

Before there was Halo there was Norse mythology...It is both a collection of names with a common theme and, hey, they are cool....

Mjolnir, the mighty hammer of Thor....

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,557 of 3,541
QUOTE by Solude

It's not the end of the world, just means if you used a single ended input you wouldn't get balanced output.  The Bryston takes the whole differential thing to the extreme of always feeding the input stage a single ended signal regardless of whether you use balanced and single ended input :O

SOLUDE-Are you saying if I use the single ended outputs on my GUNGIR into my Bryston the Balanced output of the Bryston will sound the same as if I used the Balanced outputs of the GUNGIR into the Balanced inputs of the Bryston?

I ask this as I also own the MJOLNIR and would like to be able to connnect my GUNGIR to both amps at the same time--ie. SE out to Bryston--Balanced out to MJOLNIR--NOT to play them both at the SAME TIME but to have either amp available to use Balanced out one at a time--

Thanks

Jack

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,558 of 3,541
That's correct.  The Bryston doesn't even attempt to hide it.  Its uses a stereo, 2 gang, volume and balance pots

Course if the single ended output of the Gungnir is junk well then it doesn't become about the Bryston :wink:.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,560 of 3,541
No because the noise is doubled too :wink:  That said the output level of balanced input is the same since the Bryston drops the negative leg.  Ie 3 pins enter, two get grounded, 1 continues through the amp.  I'd have to look again but its also possible Bryston sums the input, same difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back