Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #391 of 3,541
Not lens distortion in the size of the last picture (unless it's just a crop of the first, even then it feels like it's a little too much).

But something with those light and dark regions tapered in on the end like that smells optical illusion to me. Since Schiit wouldn't send us amps with tiny scratches on the bottom, I feel assured they wont send us amps that are not straight. I feel equally safe they wont change their design.

Still, that sure doesn't look quite straight...

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #392 of 3,541
Not lens distortion in the size of the last picture (unless it's just a crop of the first, even then it feels like it's a little too much).

But something with those light and dark regions tapered in on the end like that smells optical illusion to me. Since Schiit wouldn't send us amps with tiny scratches on the bottom, I feel assured they wont send us amps that are not straight. I feel equally safe they wont change their design.

Still, that sure doesn't look quite straight...

Thought so too but still it would be nice to hear confirmation from one of the owners

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #393 of 3,541
Aug 3, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #394 of 3,541
Oh you have got to be kidding me here, the bottom of the amp is straight. Have none of you handled a camera? It's called perspective distortion, which exhibits in different ways at different focal lengths.

Quote:
Same way I do mine.  Plug the DAC's balanced output to the Mjolnir, the unbalanced to the Peak.  4pin XLR to LCD-3 on the Mjolnir, 1/4" to the LCD-3 on the Peak.  dB match them and go.  Bonus points for having the same interconnect and headphone cable... like I do :p

That's not a fair comparison as it has 3 variables. You can't just volume-match and expect the only variable to be the amp. If a balanced DAC has been designed properly (i.e., with a dual-differential DAC configuration), the balanced output is going to sound better than the unbalanced output and the Mjolnir will have an unfair advantage. Plus, you have one balanced headphone vs an unbalanced headphone - the balanced headphone will have a faster impulse response, among other things.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #397 of 3,541
LOL... 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Oh you have got to be kidding me here, the bottom of the amp is straight. Have none of you handled a camera? It's called perspective distortion, which exhibits in different ways at different focal lengths.

Mjolnir is a great amp. Whoever can afford it should really give it a try. After all Schiit does offer a 15-day money back policy. Take advantage of that!

We can say all the good words in the world, but it shouldn't mean anything other than your own ears. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #398 of 3,541
Quote:
If a balanced DAC has been designed properly (i.e., with a dual-differential DAC configuration), the balanced output is going to sound better than the unbalanced output and the Mjolnir will have an unfair advantage. Plus, you have one balanced headphone vs an unbalanced headphone - the balanced headphone will have a faster impulse response, among other things.

Isn't that the point of the comparison?  To see if the Mjolnir can compete with other amps when used at its best?  And vice versa, the Peak has to perform as what it is... a single ended amplifier.  As far as I'm concerned the comparison of A and B is fair when both are used as intended.  Comparing the Peak and Mjolnir while one uses the HD800 and the other LCD-3 would be silly but otherwise fair game.

But if you think balanced amps should only need to be better than other balanced amps and single ended amps better than single ended... have at it.  I just want the better amp.  And so far... it hasn't been one of the balanced options that land on my desk /shrug

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #399 of 3,541
Quote:

Isn't that the point of the comparison?  To see if the Mjolnir can compete with other amps when used at its best?  And vice versa, the Peak has to perform as what it is... a single ended amplifier.  As far as I'm concerned the comparison of A and B is fair when both are used as intended.  Comparing the Peak and Mjolnir while one uses the HD800 and the other LCD-3 would be silly but otherwise fair game.

But if you think balanced amps should only need to be better than other balanced amps and single ended amps better than single ended... have at it.  I just want the better amp.  And so far... it hasn't been one of the balanced options that land on my desk /shrug

I agree with this. Many people argue that some single ended amplifiers will outperform balanced ones. At this high end, everyone's looking for their top sound, regardless of means. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #400 of 3,541
Quote:

Ah ok I get what you're saying, I hadn't considered that point of view. I agree that your comparison would be interesting as well - actually, probably more interesting than a comparison to another balanced amp.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #401 of 3,541
Quote:

I love these pics. The Mjolnir looks like a great match for the HD800 aesthetically and early impressions of synergy are encouraging.

I'm fortunate to have an HD800 without the infamous 6khz peak and I found some magic in pairing it with the Lyr + Amperex Bugle Boys. Hoping for that kind of signature (i.e. great balance, bottom end weight, explosive dynamics) from the Mjolnir. It was a struggle to resist going with other options as Schiit encountered set backs, but it seems the wait will be worth it in the end.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #402 of 3,541
Quote:
 expansive lens doesn't mean good photo.

Shows what you know! I read on line that if one buys a $3k Canon SLR, all of the pic will be very good!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #403 of 3,541
Quote:

I love these pics. The Mjolnir looks like a great match for the HD800 aesthetically and early impressions of synergy are encouraging.

I'm fortunate to have an HD800 without the infamous 6khz peak and I found some magic in pairing it with the Lyr + Amperex Bugle Boys. Hoping for that kind of signature (i.e. great balance, bottom end weight, explosive dynamics) from the Mjolnir. It was a struggle to resist going with other options as Schiit encountered set backs, but it seems the wait will be worth it in the end.

Hi, what's your HD800 serial number?
hwo does it look on an equalizer?

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #404 of 3,541
STATUS: In stock. Kinda. We're struggling a bit with demand. Orders placed now will ship in 1-2 weeks.

Looks like a win for Schiit =)

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #405 of 3,541
Order one, Solude. I have the Soloist here back home - and would like to read your relative impressions of the Mjolnir versus the Australian. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back