Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #676 of 2,953
Well, if you need any of the features the Burson has that the MJ3 doesn't, there's your answer.

Soundwise ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, I'm primarily interested in soundwise

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #677 of 2,953
The silver Mjolnir arrived today and I just set it up. Shipped yesterday from Schitt and I live in San Diego County so approximaltey 140 miles south of their location. Listened to two songs and I like what I hear.
Mjolnir.jpg

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #678 of 2,953
The silver Mjolnir arrived today and I just set it up. Shipped yesterday from Schitt and I live in San Diego County so approximaltey 140 miles south of their location. Listened to two songs and I like what I hear. Mjolnir.jpg
That thing really is a beast. Wider than my dual mono OTL tube amp...

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #680 of 2,953
looks great in silver. I wonder if someone will open it up one of these days to see if they actually did paint the inside black lol

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #681 of 2,953
looks great in silver. I wonder if someone will open it up one of these days to see if they actually did paint the inside black lol
First rounder here when black was the only option, so If they let me order an à la carte silver cover I'll post pictures if it's painted black on the inside :)

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #683 of 2,953
Deleted

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #684 of 2,953
I don't know what to choose, MJ3 or BURSON SOLOIST 3X GRAND TOURER 2023. Which one is better?
Of course, 'better' will mean different things to different people for different reasons. Headphones will be a major factor.

If you're not able to audition the units (I'm in that boat !), then form a consensus around reviews and feedback from others. If you have specific sound preferences, use that as the basis for your question on the respective forum for that product and weigh up the answers you get in your own mind.

That's my experience ... Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #685 of 2,953
Of course, 'better' will mean different things to different people for different reasons. Headphones will be a major factor.

If you're not able to audition the units (I'm in that boat !), then form a consensus around reviews and feedback from others. If you have specific sound preferences, use that as the basis for your question on the respective forum for that product and weigh up the answers you get in your own mind.

That's my experience ... Just my 2 cents.
I'm thinking about buying HE1000SE and would like to understand which one is better for HE1000SE

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #686 of 2,953
I'm thinking about buying HE1000SE and would like to understand which one is better for HE1000SE
If you do a search (top right on the menu bar) 'On this thread' for HE1000SE or HEKSE, you may find some comments already from owners of that headphone with the MJ3.

Then, ask on the Burson forum, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #687 of 2,953
While I didn't always before, I've become more inclined to deal with harshness of any kind in a system by reducing electrical noise, or using different headphones, rather than trying to use tubes to soften things up. An interesting consequence of better resolution is that distortion that is result of music production is far more clear. So, the net result is that some music is relegated to listening to while driving, where I wont care.

Something else I've started doing is, while I use the output of the TT2 to the Mjolnir, I use the SE out to a Lokius, then to the Mjolnir (actually via a splitter on the Studio Six, which also splits to a second input on that amp) where I might boost the bass for music such as Dead Can Dance, which is not so well recorded, but is more fun with a bass boost.
May I ask, what would a mj3 add (sonically) to a tt2 that would encourage you to use tt2 as a Dac only instead of Dac/amp ?

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #688 of 2,953
May I ask, what would a mj3 add (sonically) to a tt2 that would encourage you to use tt2 as a Dac only instead of Dac/amp ?
Preferred distortion profile, I guess. Output of TT2 is just enough for most headphones, including Susvara. If headphone jack output is not enough, get XLR to balanced adapter, connect to back of TT2 and you have some 16 watts of clean power. But OK, I understand we all have personal priorities in sound.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #689 of 2,953
No, not a preferred distortion profile. I use the Focal Utopia (2022) out of the TT2 directly most often.
With some headphones, the drive is a bit better, but with little detail sacrificed. With Susvaras, a separate amp is necessary. But also, if I do decide to EQ, I can do it via the chain I mentioned. I do have an adaptor for the back of the TT2. I should probably revisit that again.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #690 of 2,953
With some headphones, the drive is a bit better, but with little detail sacrificed. With Susvaras, a separate amp is necessary. But also, if I do decide to EQ, I can do it via the chain I mentioned. I do have an adaptor for the back of the TT2. I should probably revisit that again.
But sonically what is the benefit or difference if I’m being more accurate? Does the mj3 give more bass or puncher bass? Does it roll of the highs? Or perhaps more euphonic warmer sounds knowing that tt2 is very neutral and clean sounding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back