Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #647 of 2,953
I’ve got the Yggdrasil GS2+ arriving Friday (longest ten days of my life) and then things get interesting trying to figure out what synergies work best. Gungnir MB has been great with my two channel but I’m initially planning on the Yggy there and Gungnir MB with MJ2. Then consider some planars. I didn’t plan this for my retirement but it’s working so far. Old me is shaking his head.

Congrats with Yggy+ GS2! It's an absolute bargain considering that you bought it plus an A2 card is still cheaper than the OG, and you get both A1 and A2 versions as well. I always wonder how the A1 board will sound with the NOS mode. MJ3 is a no brainer amp if you're looking for a pure endgame SS headphone amp

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #649 of 2,953
While I didn't always before, I've become more inclined to deal with harshness of any kind in a system by reducing electrical noise, or using different headphones, rather than trying to use tubes to soften things up. An interesting consequence of better resolution is that distortion that is result of music production is far more clear. So, the net result is that some music is relegated to listening to while driving, where I wont care.

Something else I've started doing is, while I use the output of the TT2 to the Mjolnir, I use the SE out to a Lokius, then to the Mjolnir (actually via a splitter on the Studio Six, which also splits to a second input on that amp) where I might boost the bass for music such as Dead Can Dance, which is not so well recorded, but is more fun with a bass boost.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #650 of 2,953
While I didn't always before, I've become more inclined to deal with harshness of any kind in a system by reducing electrical noise, or using different headphones, rather than trying to use tubes to soften things up. An interesting consequence of better resolution is that distortion that is result of music production is far more clear. So, the net result is that some music is relegated to listening to while driving, where I wont care.

Something else I've started doing is, while I use the output of the TT2 to the Mjolnir, I use the SE out to a Lokius, then to the Mjolnir (actually via a splitter on the Studio Six, which also splits to a second input on that amp) where I might boost the bass for music such as Dead Can Dance, which is not so well recorded, but is more fun with a bass boost.
That is verry interesting to hear! I was thinking about getting the Lokius myself because I realy love the idesr of physical EQ.
Does it notacibly change the sound of the MJ3 if no EQ is used?

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #651 of 2,953
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #653 of 2,953
According to Jason, most of the second batch has already been sold, and once the second batch is sold out, it will probably be another 2-3 months before they are available again.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8749#post-17836803
Sweet...more time time talk myself into purchasing something I'll barely use. :blush: My current modest ('round head-fi-land, at least, LOL) desktop rig (my first non-portable rig in over 12 years!!) of Jot2 (with 9028 DAC card; purchased in March) + BF 2/64 (purchased in August) literally gets used a handful of hours each month, but I really appreciate its existence when I do choose to use it.

Only reason I didn't immediately bite on the MJ3 2nd batch is reluctance towards buying something I'll use so infrequently, exacerbated by its unsuitability for use with IEMs.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #654 of 2,953
Curious if anyone is using a tube amp like my Vali 2+ or even a Freya as a pre into MJ3. Not saying MJ3 needs anything but another thing to play with.
Yes, I am using a Freya N as a tube buffer (volume pot on Freya turned all the way up) in front of my MJ3 and it sounds sublime. Balance cable connections all the way thru and I don't hear any degradation of the sound quality.

I used to run a similar setup with Vali2 in front of my Jot2. But you can tell there is some fidelity loss due to Vali2 is not as transparent as the Freya N. I also think going SE connection from Vali2 to Jot2 takes a hit as well and granted the Jot2 is not as resolving as the MJ3, so that ensemble loses out compared to FreyaN with MJ3. But it was still engaging in its own rite.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #655 of 2,953
Pretty happy to hear the second batch isn't the last.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #656 of 2,953
I definitely didn't need another amp... but the combination of Currawongs review and the lust I have for stacks of electronics....pushed me over the edge.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #657 of 2,953
While I didn't always before, I've become more inclined to deal with harshness of any kind in a system by reducing electrical noise... . An interesting consequence of better resolution is that distortion that is result of music production is far more clear. So, the net result is that some music is relegated to listening to while driving, where I wont care....
Yes and omg yes (cue when Harry Met Sally).

Pop music is fun to listen to everywhere but best in a car I think. Maybe Meatloaf said it best?
Anything properly recorded is barely intelligible in a car.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #658 of 2,953
The Mjolnir 3 is now shipping (again)!

https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3

According to Jason, most of the second batch has already been sold, and once the second batch is sold out, it will probably be another 2-3 months before they are available again.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8747#post-17836625
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8749#post-17836803
Looks like it is in 230V now... tempting...

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #659 of 2,953
Looks like it is in 230V now... tempting...
Totally be tempted. It's a stellar amp.

HST, transcontinental shipping/tariffs may make it less of a performance/money winner. Although, I haven't heard of any competitive amps locally sourced to those outside of North America.

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #660 of 2,953
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back