Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 25, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #131,221 of 152,177
Hel actually uses what is called a "shell knob," as in, it's a shell of stamped aluminum over an injection-molded plastic piece. We've been considering doing an "insert knob" for it--that is, a milled hunk of aluminum with a small plastic insert for fitting on the potentiometer shaft. Not sure if we'll do it, because the cost is quite a bit higher.

Fun fact: a Ragnarok 2 knob fits perfectly. The catch is that the volume indication will be offset from the correct indication.

We're also debating this. The second run is pretty much sold out in advance of our shipping any. How does everyone feel about continuing this one, even though I said it was limited? Is that a cheat? Or just a logical response to a popular product?
Thank you for the clarification on Hel+ having a shell knob. If yall are even considering the insert knob I’ll just enjoy my Hel+’s shell knob and if it gets a new knob that’s cool and if not I will live.

As for MJ3, it seems like your headphone amps version of your yggy DAC— I think the only issue with MJ3 is knowing just how popular it is regarding sales: is it a product where 3-5 runs saturates the demand, or will it be a top end product where people hear from other consumers about how great it sounds and have it be a mainstay? I feel like doing more than 2 runs but not promising it exists as an in stock is a fair compromise that lets you see how much demand is out there.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #131,222 of 152,177
This. The USB 2 isn't so terrible (maybe a slightly itchy sound to it). Until you can send it in for the upgrade, I'd use the optical/coax/bnc.

I'm using this el-cheapo DDC on another system.

I looked at that one, but there were a fair bit of failures mentioned in the Amazon reviews. When I want to talk myself out of buying anything I just read the 1-star reviews :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Initially I'll try the USB just to hear what it sounds like and then figure out what my next step is. That might be moving up my date to get the Unision upgrade.

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #131,223 of 152,177
One does not wish to face the moose-mounted-Mountie's wrath.

And, I was in a fast-food chain called Red Robin and they had something they called Poutine on the menu. It wasn't.

This is who we send to speak with those who cast aspersions on poutine. He will be stopping in to Red Robin to have firm but polite (if not somewhat apologetic) words with the manager.

1700948861978.png

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #131,224 of 152,177
I suppose if you bought a Mjolnir 3 for the resale value, you'd rather it *not* go from limited to regular production run, but, y'know, gear is like too expensive to put on a pedestal, man. Theoretically, I don't know how one improves on the Mjolnir 3 anyways. For my part, I'm going to spend the next decade trying to find gear worthy to match with it :sweat_smile:

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #131,225 of 152,177
I suppose if you bought a Mjolnir 3 for the resale value, you'd rather it *not* go from limited to regular production run, but, y'know, gear is like too expensive to put on a pedestal, man. Theoretically, I don't know how one improves on the Mjolnir 3 anyways. For my part, I'm going to spend the next decade trying to find gear worthy to match with it :sweat_smile:
Schiit gear retains value really well in general, so it wouldn’t be too bad.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #131,226 of 152,177

The FV was truly a limited run. Resale value for the ones that sold recently have been less than MSRP new. Not much less though.

I have no need for MJ3 now, but would like the option in the future.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #131,227 of 152,177
This is who we send to speak with those who cast aspersions on poutine. He will be stopping in to Red Robin to have firm but polite (if not somewhat apologetic) words with the manager.

I'm more afraid of the Canadian goose lurking behind the moose.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #131,228 of 152,177
I also agree w @earnmyturns that a cheap ddc might not be worth it. If memory serves, I did hear some changes with my modi multibit 1 when using a jitterbug, so if you're unhappy with Gen 2 USB you could try it. Pretty affordable little device, but memory fades and some people seem to think they're snake oil.

Otherwise I think I may have an Eitr stashed away somewhere if you're interested. I used it when I had a gen5 USB gumby and actually preferred it. Won't price gouge you.

I know nothing of the jiterbug but 100 percent the Eitr makes a difference with my MMB. Ive had to take the Eitr out a couple times and every time its immediately noticeable.

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #131,229 of 152,177
I think the only issue with MJ3 is knowing just how popular it is regarding sales: is it a product where 3-5 runs saturates the demand, or will it be a top end product where people hear from other consumers about how great it sounds and have it be a mainstay? I feel like doing more than 2 runs but not promising it exists as an in stock is a fair compromise that lets you see how much demand is out there.
Yeah, this is the real question.

It's a balance to know how much to make, and when to stop. I expect Mjolnir 3 will continue as a "Tier 3" product, which means "we get another run going when the current one is sold." Which translates to "there will be periods of 2 or so months where it's out of stock." There's nothing really keeping us from making more, other than waiting for the custom transformers/chokes/chassis/etc.

Folkvangr is a different case. That one was done as an intentionally limited run to use up a bunch of tubes. Which it did. If we did another run, it might cut into tube supply too much given that we're planning a Valhalla 3. Which may not be that big of a deal, because tubes are still kinda on the outs with many people, so all tube stuff is, ah, less pressing than it once was.

If I seem thoughtful/introspective, it's because I'm working on the end of the year chapter. Preview: it was a good year. Mostly. But it took a lot of work.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #131,230 of 152,177
Nov 25, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #131,231 of 152,177
If I seem thoughtful/introspective, it's because I'm working on the end of the year chapter. Preview: it was a good year. Mostly. But it took a lot of work.
Well, next year is probably going to be a veeeeeeery boring one, I'm sure. ;p

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #131,233 of 152,177
Yeah, this is the real question.

It's a balance to know how much to make, and when to stop. I expect Mjolnir 3 will continue as a "Tier 3" product, which means "we get another run going when the current one is sold." Which translates to "there will be periods of 2 or so months where it's out of stock." There's nothing really keeping us from making more, other than waiting for the custom transformers/chokes/chassis/etc.

Folkvangr is a different case. That one was done as an intentionally limited run to use up a bunch of tubes. Which it did. If we did another run, it might cut into tube supply too much given that we're planning a Valhalla 3. Which may not be that big of a deal, because tubes are still kinda on the outs with many people, so all tube stuff is, ah, less pressing than it once was.

Who are these people whom tubes are "on the outs" with? I will fight them.

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #131,235 of 152,177
Who are these people whom tubes are "on the outs" with? I will fight them.
With the sketchy availability, insane pricing, and controversial provenance of many tubes, many, many more people are just taking a pass on the whole thing. Ask anyone who makes tube products about how they're doing...and about the hate mail they get. This is the reality.

However, things are changing--availability is better and pricing is coming down. People still have to vote with their wallets on whether they want to buy Russian tubes (ironically, ours come from our Ukraine distributor--how's that for a real-world mindblower?) But the reality is, tubes come from Russia or China. Take your pick. Yeah, JJ is there somewhere as well, but their availability has been, ah, very limited.

And no, I'm not talking the ubersphere of NOS unobtainium investment-grade stock or super-limited new-production bespoke craziness. Because that's not what people start with. And it's not something we can offer.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back