Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #436 of 2,755
I tried just the weight, and nope didn’t stop it completely. Tried just the feet and it was still easily noticeable. But both together completely ended it. Prior to, I could feel it in the vol knob. That’s gone and can’t feel it when touching the top either.

Not that the vibration hurt the sound IMO but I wanted to raise it regardless with the rubber feet and just thought I’d try the weight again and see. I think I’ll leave it. Can’t make it worse.

Oct 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #437 of 2,755
I’ve wondered about sliding off the casework and attaching dampening materials to the upper insides. Doubts about the heat from the circuitry have stopped me. I believe that for Schiit h/p/a, the casework is acting as a heatsink … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #438 of 2,755
Welp, you guys convinced me to get one. Almost ordered a black one when it first came out. Glad I held out and got the chance to order a silver one, didn't want to miss out on not being able to purchase one directly from schiit. Won't be able to get it again, like the Mjolnir 2 or the gungnir. Love these devices and they will never leave my home. Those are definitly keepers, like I know the mjolnir 3 will be. I do like Schiit brings out unique audio gear, something they would love to see how it sounds and gives us a chance to purchase it.

Probably won't get it till late december, heard that the silvers wont be ready until Nov 15th. I'm not worried though, like to know I'm on the list to get one of these rare 1-500 True Pure A Class Amp. I tryed to find another Pure A class amp, and I cant seem to find one, they are all A Class Bias, which is not the same as the Mjolnir 3, so there really wont be anything like it.

I'm actually looking forward to see how it sounds with my Yggy OG, compared to the Rag 2. But, I think its amp duty will go to the Denafrips Terminator 2 12th. Still haven't found a amp I truly loved paired with it yet.

20231008_084236 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #439 of 2,755
Welp, you guys convinced me to get one. Almost ordered a black one when it first came out. Glad I held out and got the chance to orderea silver one, didn't want to miss out on not being able to purchase one directly from schiit. Won't be able to get it again, like the Mjolnir 2 or the gungnir. Love these devices and they will never leave my home. Those are definitly keepers, like I know the mjolnir 3 will be. I do like Schiit brings out unique audio gear, something they would love to see how it sounds and gives us a chance to purchase it.

Probably won't get it till late december, heard that the silvers wont be ready until Nov 15th. I'm not worried though, like to know I'm on the list to get one of these rare 1-500 True Pure A Class Amp. I tryed to find another Pure A class amp, and I cant seem to find one, they are all A Class Bias, which is not the same as the Mjolnir 3, so there really wont be anything like it.

I'm actually looking forward to see how it sounds with my Yggy OG, compared to the Rag 2. But, I think its amp duty will go to the Denafrips Terminator 2 12th. Still haven't found a amp I truly loved paired with it yet. found a amp I truly loved paired with it yet.
Wow. Your big collection!

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #440 of 2,755
I tried just the weight, and nope didn’t stop it completely. Tried just the feet and it was still easily noticeable. But both together completely ended it. Prior to, I could feel it in the vol knob. That’s gone and can’t feel it when touching the top either.

Not that the vibration hurt the sound IMO but I wanted to raise it regardless with the rubber feet and just thought I’d try the weight again and see. I think I’ll leave it. Can’t make it worse.
Vibration can be removed by proper DC blocker.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #441 of 2,755
Oct 8, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #442 of 2,755
I'm curious do all MJ3s vibrate? Both my replacement and initial MJ3s did not vibrate. I do hear a slight (what I think is) transformer hum but nothing egregious. Its only audible if I place my head right next to it

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #443 of 2,755
Vibration isn’t audible, but you can feel it when you touch the amp. Even when you touch the volume knob. Almost like when you touch a pipe and can feel water running through it.
It’s in the manual and they say that it’s normal. I wouldn’t be surprised if they all had that type of vibration.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #445 of 2,755
Do you guys get any low level hum ... in high gain only with M2? ... it's inaudible with music, but can def hear it when switching from lo to hi gain. Sort of a flat, 200 hz low level tone. Not going to send it in for repair, but if I wanted to sell it ever good to know it's broken or not.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #446 of 2,755
Vibration can be removed by proper DC blocker.
It's not regular transformer hum. The chokes in this just hum. I have a power regenerator as well as a DC-blocker and the MJ3 still vibrates slightly.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #448 of 2,755
It's not regular transformer hum. The chokes in this just hum. I have a power regenerator as well as a DC-blocker and the MJ3 still vibrates slightly.
Thanks for saying this. This is why I asked if it was done using the mj3. It’s definitely the chokes. Jason has mentioned this and it’s normal.
I have a PowerPlant3 and none of my tube amps, ss amps, etc have ever had any issues. Didn’t have an issue before the PowerPlant3 either tho.
I don’t think a DC blocker is making a difference here.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #449 of 2,755
Mjolnir 3 doesn't hum, it just vibrates a tiny bit. There might be a slight physical hum when you put your ear right to it, but the signal itself remains of course dead silent.
It's a crazy amp that gets nearly as hot as Folkvangr with chokes the size of Texas that just happen to vibrate slightly. In return, you get something that sounds like heaven on earth.
That little bit of vibration isn't an issue; it's part of the Mjolnir 3 experience. ✌️😎

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #450 of 2,755
Too hot to handle? It's worth fan or 2…
Cooling update:
Schiit Mjolnir 3 ~ Class A,
Headphone Power Amp. True to form Mjolnir is a Limited Ldition piece of Schiit… it Created a Heatwave, a tropical Heatwave… Stopping this insanely jerry-rigged two small boxer fans, in a foam box drawing the air up and out. Enter then “Aircom AC Infinity component cooling System. 17” width… AC powered, sits atop Mjolnir. Three fans with 3 speeds. draw warm air up and out… 3 fans running low speed moves a good volume of air its dead quite…The Schiit Mjolnir 3 was just warm to the touch. Ran it all night, with Mjolnir 3, temp low and fan noise nonexistent…it’s been on for a week straight…. Can’t stop rehearing reording opera after opera @ 3hrs at a go. Mj is so good I’m listening to complete works… not just tracks… consider cooling options. For my tube amps in the 80s those babies required AC year round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back