Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #406 of 2,930
Got my replacement MJ3 for about a week now and have been burning it in. So far so good, both channels are audible. As mentioned on my previous post, I am comparing it to my beloved Jot2. From a techical standpoint, the MJ3 betters it on pretty much every aspect in my system and preferences. I always thought my Jot2 was neutral sounding with a bit of warmth. But comparing it to MJ3, the Jot2 is noticeably darker and warmer, maybe 2 shades more than the MJ3. So in my opinion in my setup the MJ3 has taken the spot as my neutral sounding with a bit of warmth headamp.

As most folks already mentioned, the MJ3 is so good with clarity, blackground, details, layering, imaging, spacing out the different instruments and vocals, depth of the stage, dynamics, the decay of notes, and the transparent ability to look deep into the performance (cleaner window analogy) while still sounding natural and organic.

The one area the Jot2 "seem" to have a slight advantage is the thickness of its mids and bass regions. There is more weight in those areas where the drum bass is fatter so there is more of an impact. Vocals sound a bit more full which I like. This can be a plus for systems that are in thin/leaner side while systems that already have enough of weight and fullness trait might be too much of a good thing.

MJ3 is a more capable amp than the Jot2, does virtually every thing better than the Jot2 with more refinement and control. Very happy with my purchase, I just pray my MJ3 will be rock solid longevity wise like my Jot2. I will be keeping my Jot2 because at $399, I haven't found anything better at that price point.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #407 of 2,930
As most folks already mentioned, the MJ3 is so good with clarity, blackground, details, layering, imaging, spacing out the different instruments and vocals, depth of the stage, dynamics, the decay of notes, and the transparent ability to look deep into the performance (cleaner window analogy) while still sounding natural and organic.
Great impressions, Smoothstereo. Thanks again! If I ever get an MJ3, it'll be thanks to you guys in this thread!
:beerchug:

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #408 of 2,930
Got my replacement MJ3 for about a week now and have been burning it in. So far so good, both channels are audible. As mentioned on my previous post, I am comparing it to my beloved Jot2. From a techical standpoint, the MJ3 betters it on pretty much every aspect in my system and preferences. I always thought my Jot2 was neutral sounding with a bit of warmth. But comparing it to MJ3, the Jot2 is noticeably darker and warmer, maybe 2 shades more than the MJ3. So in my opinion in my setup the MJ3 has taken the spot as my neutral sounding with a bit of warmth headamp.

The one area the Jot2 "seem" to have a slight advantage is the thickness of its mids and bass regions. There is more weight in those areas where the drum bass is fatter so there is more of an impact. Vocals sound a bit more full which I like. This can be a plus for systems that are in thin/leaner side while systems that already have enough of weight and fullness trait might be too much of a good thing.

MJ3 is a more capable amp than the Jot2, does virtually every thing better than the Jot2 with more refinement and control. Very happy with my purchase, I just pray my MJ3 will be rock solid longevity wise like my Jot2. I will be keeping my Jot2 because at $399, I haven't found anything better at that price point.

Nice impressions, I've had a Jot 2 since it launched and still love it. Out of curiosity what headphones and DAC are you using with jot 2 and MJ3 ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #409 of 2,930
Nice impressions, I've had a Jot 2 since it launched and still love it. Out of curiosity what headphones and DAC are you using with jot 2 and MJ3 ?
My setup is Android phone using UAPP app to play locally stored 44.1khz wav files to a Denafrips Hermes 12th DDC via usb cable. From there, an i2S cable to Denafrips Pontus2 DAC. Then XLR cable to Schiit Freya N used as a tube buffer, and then from there XLR cable to MJ3 , then using balance 4 pin hp cable to Arya v2. Genres of music include Pop, Vocal Jazz, EDM, Smooth Jazz, Bossa Nova. I listen at around 75db peaking to 80db on my headphones for my reference.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #410 of 2,930
I used to have the Soloist 3XP as my daily driver, with my BF2 as the anchor. I also had an MJ2 as my tube amp in my chain. I ended up selling the Soloist, even after getting the Supercharger because I thought the overall sound was too thin. It was incredible at detail retrieval, imaging, instrument separation, and overall clarity. However, I always gravitated back to the MJ2 because of the fullness and richness of sound, despite it not being as refined, overall, as the Soloist.

Having now sold the Soloist, and having recently acquired the MJ3, I can confidently say that the MJ3 is what I had hoped the Soloist would have offered me when I had it. The MJ3 manages to do everything the Soloist does, while being more rich and adding a tad of warmth without losing any of the detail that is present in the music.

Ultimately, I think it will depend on what your headphones are. I have the HE1000SE as my primary, and this BF2+MJ3 combo is exactly what I want for these headphones. The chain is able to ensure that the HEKSE are being fed a well detailed, dynamic, and smooth experience without any of the downsides this headphone can have, such as sibilance/sharpness in the treble.
Thanks for sharing your impressions of MJ3. I like the sound of the BURSON Soloist 3XP, but now I'm very interested in the sound of the MJ3.
Now I have LCD2, maybe over time I will order HEDDPhone Two

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #411 of 2,930
Attended the SOCAL Can Jam today and listended to the MJ3 connected to a Yiggy+ OG. I used my headphones (Denon AH-D9200) and I really enjoyed the sound the combination produced. It was not dull sounding, not overly bright, and great bass. While it is in the upper price range for Schitt, I prefered the sound over others at the show that cost twice to three times as much. I went back several times and even had my wife listen to the setup and she agreed. On a plus side I met and spoke with Jason. Great time at the Can Jam.
IMG_7299.jpg

Got to love those asthetics too! Schiits stack so nice!!! Thanks for the photo, Grunt66.

My only critique on the asthetics is that the LED (on my Jot OG) is super bright and distracting in a dark room. I usually cover it up with something. Not a big deal.

And hey, if we were truly listening, we'd have our eyes closed, right? :beyersmile:

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #412 of 2,930
Sometimes gear can be excellent, but you can't quite justify keeping it in your house at the time :) This is true for both my MJ3 and FV: both are incredible, but ultimately they belong in the houses of folks who will appreciate them fully and can unambiguously justify the use of them. Tis the way of experimenting with gear in this hobby!

MJ3 is the best amp I've plugged demanding cans into: full stop. If you have cans that appreciate tons of power on tap, I have basically nothing negative to say that isn't advertised right on Schiit's product page (and even those factors - heat and desk space - are small factors).

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #413 of 2,930
I just started to play with the SE pure Class A/Push Pull switch. My initial impressions seem to line up with most folks. I find the SE presentation to be slightly more relaxed, a bit more euphonic, details are effortlessly displayed for the listener to soak it in. PP in contrast, is a bit more energetic, focused, assertive, details are delivered in a more deliberate way. Different types/styles of music (and gear setup) would benefit from one over the other. So far in my setup and music, I gravitate towards the SE Class A.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #415 of 2,930
Got to love those asthetics too! Schiits stack so nice!!! Thanks for the photo, Grunt66.

My only critique ...
I noticed that the toggles on the MJ3 are set for aesthetics rather than best sound :p (not sure how tongue-in-cheek this comment is...)

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #416 of 2,930
I just started to play with the SE pure Class A/Push Pull switch. My initial impressions seem to line up with most folks. I find the SE presentation to be slightly more relaxed, a bit more euphonic, details are effortlessly displayed for the listener to soak it in. PP in contrast, is a bit more energetic, focused, assertive, details are delivered in a more deliberate way. Different types/styles of music (and gear setup) would benefit from one over the other. So far in my setup and music, I gravitate towards the SE Class A.
Sounds a bit Donny-and-Marie-ish, PushPull a little bit rock and roll, SE country :)

My impression from the above is SE for classical and PP for rock... I've only used SE and can't imagine anything better.

Oct 7, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #418 of 2,930
When I was at CanJam SoCal, I asked Jason what the grand total of Mjolnir 3's was going to be. He said 500, including the 230V version.
So I'm guessing that the first run was probably 250 units (mine's #180) and the second and (most likely) final run will also be 250 units, but probably around half of those will be the 230V version.

Just FYI.

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #419 of 2,930
When I was at CanJam SoCal, I asked Jason what the grand total of Mjolnir 3's was going to be. He said 500, including the 230V version.
So I'm guessing that the first run was probably 250 units (mine's #180) and the second and (most likely) final run will also be 250 units, but probably around half of those will be the 230V version.

Just FYI.

Wow not alot at all. I guess i better just buy it.

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #420 of 2,930
Got my repaired MJ3 just now. Apparently the issue was a "shifting bias" and they replaced the bias pots. Warming it up now so hope to be back in business soon. I truly missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back