Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #376 of 3,084
Scuttlebutt is that the Bliss is "better" but not better for the price. The price multiple isn't justified for it over the MJ.

Now, listening through my MiniC and the 96Kb version of Billie Jean. I can hear an echo of the drum off a wall during the opening drum beats...

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #377 of 3,084
Scuttlebutt is that the Bliss is "better" but not better for the price. The price multiple isn't justified for it over the MJ.

Now, listening through my MiniC and the 96Kb version of Billie Jean. I can hear an echo of the drum off a wall during the opening drum beats...
I owned the bliss for a while. Bliss is more smooth mj3 is more detailed in treble. Bliss is so smooth and undistorted you can easily accidentally turn up the volume too loud without realizing it which is a testament to the quality of the amp. Mj3 has more separation between notes, and more detail in the top end. Hard to say for sure but bliss probably has ~1% more bass and longer decay to bass by a ms or two. Mj3 has ~1-2% more treble it remains detailed and fast while the bliss is slightly rounded in treble. My experience with both.

Mj3 is my current daily driver for susvara and abyss ab 1266 phi tc. I do have a CFA3 pre ordered from headamp which I have high expectations for and I'm looking forward to getting it in.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #378 of 3,084
Thanks for the review!!!! I am running a similar setup as well with utopias 2022 src-dx, sbooster ultra, qutest, roon, and a magnius as that was the cleanest amp at the time....

For me I am looking for a very analytical vocal forward sound with meticulous separation.

I wonder if you ever heard the magnius? Or rag2?

Neither, actually. But what you describe in what you want definitely says "Mjolnir". I wish I had bought my friend's DAVE now.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #379 of 3,084
Longtime enjoyer of this thread - rare poster.

I've been listening to my Mj3 now for a couple of weeks. From my first listening (retired classical musician, but I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff) I have been impressed with the richness and fullness of the sound. (fed by my Pie2Aes Roon endpoint into Yggy via XLR, and into the MJ3 balanced. I'm primarily listening with my Focal Clear headphones with balanced cables. My brief venture with my UM Mest MkII iems weren't as impressive, with the bass less controlled.

I was immediately floored by the impact and fullness (body) of the bass and sub bass. I had enjoyed my Clear hp well enough before (Rag1, Asgard, Jotenheim2, Lyr, and my tube amp kit from Japan -- Eletek Tu-8600S Tube amp with upgrade power coils and condensers, 300b tubes Western Electric), but I must say that they really pop with the MJ3. The soundstage seems better with the MJ3, as well. The clarity across the spectrum is great without any harshness anywhere. I didn't realize that the Clears would respond so nicely with the extra power. Definitely end game for me. (year, we'll see how long that lasts)

For a couple of years I was more focused on the DAC in the chain, frankly ignoring for too long the amp link. I am so glad that MJ3 gave me a reasonably priced opportunity to address that.

I'm surprise to read that it will only get a 2nd batch of production. As usual Schiit's bang-for-buck DNA really works for me.

I have also enjoyed this community, with the wide ranging topics (okay, I scan through some of the topics to stay close to the end of the thread!) The excellent level of informative and good natured discourse is appreciated.

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #380 of 3,084
Neither, actually. But what you describe in what you want definitely says "Mjolnir". I wish I had bought my friend's DAVE now.
Mjolnir maybe sooon but magnius balanced is pretty crazy good.... havent bought any audio gear this year, maybe santa will bring me something

Lol Dave is an adventure to tell your kids about lol..... i have been more interested in the mola mola recently. Just heard some pretty crazy things about it lately.... who knows maybe dave2 is come and it will drop the price of the original dave.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #381 of 3,084

Mjolnir maybe sooon but magnius balanced is pretty crazy good.... havent bought any audio gear this year, maybe santa will bring me something

Lol Dave is an adventure to tell your kids about lol..... i have been more interested in the mola mola recently. Just heard some pretty crazy things about it lately.... who knows maybe dave2 is come and it will drop the price of the original dave.
I just ordered the t+a dac 200. Didn't like how the mola mola only had one output. I'll report on it with mj3 and susvara/ab 1266 when it gets here. Never knew I would be upgrading this fast but I have been so curious about t+a dac 200 I had to order it. Yggdrasil og a2 has been a fantastic dac but I have a feeling the dac 200 is on another level. This is end game for me as far as dac goes lol.

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #382 of 3,084
Sep 28, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #383 of 3,084
I just ordered the t+a dac 200. Didn't like how the mola mola only had one output. I'll report on it with mj3 and susvara/ab 1266 when it gets here. Never knew I would be upgrading this fast but I have been so curious about t+a dac 200 I had to order it. Yggdrasil og a2 has been a fantastic dac but I have a feeling the dac 200 is on another level. This is end game for me as far as dac goes lol.
Love T+A stuff (remember, it's pronounced "t plus a" not "t and ..."). Have a Cala that sounds great and and Amp8 driving a center channel.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #384 of 3,084
I wrote up my extremely imperfect and fully subjective comparison notes between MJ3 and Folkvangr over in the FV thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-folkvangr-impressions-thread.963929/post-17752765

tl;dr I can't tell the difference; I'm reselling FV almost certainly as a quick catch and release. I'll do a similar test against MJ3 and Magni 3 and/or Jot2, the other two SS amps I have easy access too, some time soon.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the mj3 and the jot 2. Its what I'm thinking of upgrading to.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #385 of 3,084
Reading through this thread it is intriguing to hear how well the MJ3 brings to life higher end headphones.

I don't understand the physics of what makes Class A sound so good, but it's probably bending space time, right? :L3000:

Looking forward to your thoughts on the mj3 and the jot 2. Its what I'm thinking of upgrading to.

I think if you go back through the thread, someone has made this exact comparison. Apparently, much better than even the Jot 2, even though MJ3 measures less well (paraphrasing).

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #386 of 3,084
I returned my MJ3 since it was broken a couple of weeks ago. I bought a used Bryston BHA-1. It is a good amp, but I have to say that I miss MJ3, the details, transparency, texture and layers...

Maybe I will consider getting a silver one later :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #387 of 3,084
... I don't understand the physics of what makes Class A sound so good, but it's probably bending space time, right? :L3000:...
In the vein of those misleading stairstep DAC graphs, I present this (probably misleading) amplifier class graph.
Class A is the most beautiful, obviously :wink:

https://ecstudiosystems.com/discove...s/transistors/amplifier-classes-of-operation/

An the horror show that is class D:
465722_1_En_16_Fig3_HTML.png

(from https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-97870-3_16/figures/3)

(not intending in any way to be objective about class D :wink: )

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #388 of 3,084
Whaaaat? <pizza drops from mouth>

You mean this whole time we've been junking up our amplifiers with Class D noise?!

<throws pizza box against the wall>

<kicks foot through loud speaker before realizing it's not an amp>

Phew, glad I got that out...

You're right, Class A is beautiful!

Screenshot_2023-09-29-20-49-38(1).png

I present to you a totally different graph where x = space and y = time... see how Class A bends it? Beautiful!

Haha, seriously though, thanks, that is cool.

Or in Mjolnir 3's case, deliciously warm, and slightly resonating.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #389 of 3,084
I think I am gonna miss out on this, and I am pretty sad about that. I use a Jot2 at both home and in the office, but I can’t get away with an MJ3 at work due to heat and size, so it would be at home in the main rig. Trouble is, the main home rig is geared toward speakers, and the Jot2 in line before the preamp acts as an attenuator for my high sensitive floor standing speakers in addition to using it as an occasional headphone amp.

From what I gathered in the main Schiit thread, the MJ3 is not as spectacular when speakers are concerned, so this might be a high investment for no audible benefit. $1.2k is a significant amount (for me) for something I already own. I really want to hear it with my headphones though! It really is too bad this is a limited product.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #390 of 3,084
I think I am gonna miss out on this, and I am pretty sad about that. I use a Jot2 at both home and in the office, but I can’t get away with an MJ3 at work due to heat and size, so it would be at home in the main rig. Trouble is, the main home rig is geared toward speakers, and the Jot2 in line before the preamp acts as an attenuator for my high sensitive floor standing speakers in addition to using it as an occasional headphone amp.

From what I gathered in the main Schiit thread, the MJ3 is not as spectacular when speakers are concerned, so this might be a high investment for no audible benefit. $1.2k is a significant amount (for me) for something I already own. I really want to hear it with my headphones though! It really is too bad this is a limited product.
While I can’t speak to the Jot2, in my limited headphone amp as a preamp experience (A3 and Piety) the MJ3 is the first one that doesn’t completely crumble the sound stage and separation when used as a preamp driving the amp section of my 2270 (as an experiment). It sounds really great. Not replacing the preamp section of the 2270 because it is impractical but if I didn’t have an integrated already and the MJ3 made the sound it does come out of an amp I’d be very happy.
If you’re OK with a potential return if you don’t like it might be worth a try if you’d use it for headphone also. Would be a pretty expensive and limited preamp if you bought it just for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back