Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #466 of 2,930
From the feedback coming out so far, it seems like maybe push-pull works better with planar headphones. I know a Susvara owner on another forum said the MJ3 was much better to them in push-pull versus single-ended Class A.

I can’t really say what keeps prompting me to go back to push-pull with my Meze Elite. I think I’m finding it a little more engaging than SE. My guess is it’s doing something in the mids, and specifically with human voices, that is getting me more emotionally connected. This could all be in my head of course!
You get more power output with push pull on.
And feedback on will lower the impedance.
I think it’ll really depend on your headphones and taste. Best to just mess around with it.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #467 of 2,930
You get more power output with push pull on.
And feedback on will lower the impedance.
I think it’ll really depend on your headphones and taste. Best to just mess around with it.
I've yet to find someone who prefers to have feedback turned on. I actually wish I clearly preferred push-pull to SE so I could stop messing around with it!

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #469 of 2,930
I plan to write a decent comparison when I get time. Or hope to.

Bryston is smoother. MJ3 has this rawness to the edge of notes-comes off more detailed or definitely more noticeable imo. Mj3 isn’t harsh but just more alive sounding. This is really noticeable in the micro details. The Bryston still has these micro details but they’re much harder to spot.

Bass is very close, but I think the mj3 may hit harder at times.

Stage width goes to Bryston but depth is very close on both.

I thought early on the Bryston should do better in layering but after some time and note taking, I think I lean mj3 on layering. The separation and details of the mj3 are so good.

Timbre, is probably a tie.

The mj3 has a more intimate presentation, but it’s not terrible or uncomfortable.

Most of my comparison was done with the D8KP LE. I did use the Utopia 22 and HD800S some as well.
I think the D8KP LE is better with Mj3.
The Utopia leans Bryston.
HD800S is a toss up but I like the Mj3.

Both amps are better balanced in and balanced out.

Build quality goes to the Bryston. Love the build and the looks. MJ3 isn’t terrible but I wish the pot was better and I could have the sound of the mj3 in the Bryston chassis.

I do feel the mj3 is better from the se than the Bryston (both still using XLR input). This isn’t a huge difference but that’s how I hear it with both amps from the se output.
This is also nitpicking and if this was my main amp for the utopia, I’d go Bryston (but balanced all the way). Bryston is still a solid amp and there’s absolutely no reason not to love it. This was a tough decision on what to keep and again, if I planned to use the Utopia majority of the time with my ss amp, I’d go Bryston.

Edit: I’ll be selling the Bryston BHA-1 (black in great shape) for $1k (net to me) shipped CONUS.
Looking forward to seeing your detail reviews. I did have some similar findings but mostly based on lcd5, hd650 and hd820.

Bha-1 is a good amp, but I found it fatiguing and unforgiving. mJ3 also wins in transparency and clarity. Bha-1 has larger soundstage but it's imaging is less accurate than MJ3.

There is no doubt in terms of build quality. Bryston amps are made to last for decades, but we already saw quite a few failures here in the first batch including my unit.

Bryston also wins in convenience. Its power switch is on the front panel and there is also a 12v trigger available.

Anyways, I just placed an order for a silver one to match my FV. It will likely replace my bha-1.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #470 of 2,930
Low gain, push-pull, with feedback. That's how I prefer it for my Noirs.
Looks like I spoke too soon. Glad to hear that the feedback switch is working well for someone!

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #471 of 2,930
Looking forward to seeing your detail reviews. I did have some similar findings but mostly based on lcd5, hd650 and hd820.

Bha-1 is a good amp, but I found it fatiguing and unforgiving. mJ3 also wins in transparency and clarity. Bha-1 has larger soundstage but it's imaging is less accurate than MJ3.

There is no doubt in terms of build quality. Bryston amps are made to last for decades, but we already saw quite a few failures here in the first batch including my unit.

Bryston also wins in convenience. Its power switch is on the front panel and there is also a 12v trigger available.

Anyways, I just placed an order for a silver one to match my FV. It will likely replace my bha-1.
Interesting you found it fatiguing. I think the smoothness of the Bryston makes it an enjoyable experience.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #472 of 2,930
Interesting you found it fatiguing. I think the smoothness of the Bryston makes it an enjoyable experience.
I don't know if it is headphone related. I didn't want to listen to lcd5 on bha-1 for too long, but lcd2, 3 are fine. Maybe the warmer phones works better on bha-1

Oct 12, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #473 of 2,930
I've yet to find someone who prefers to have feedback turned on. I actually wish I clearly preferred push-pull to SE so I could stop messing around with it!
For Utopia I prefer feedback on. I feel like Utopia is already forward and dynamic enough, and seems to have more treble bite with feedback off. So I prefer the calmer feedback on setting lol. As far as the difference between SE and PP. On lcd5 and Susvara the difference I heard is PP had more bass weight and had (what to my ears sounds like) more upper mid range bite to percussion and strings. SE was missing this so it sounded a little warmer and smoother with those instruments. Not a huge difference by any means, and I don't really notice it on Utopia.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #474 of 2,930
I was able to test Mj3 vs Rag2 at the Schiitmeet NC. To me Mj3 was superior: fuller sound, more holographic soundstage, better punch and low end. I was using He6se V2 to compare.

I love the fact that you found the 2W(32Ω) MJ3 to have a fuller sound and better punch in the bass than the 24W(32Ω) Rag2 on the very hard-to-drive HE6SEv2!! :grinning:

This is just another great example that the old audiophile saying that "Not all watts are created equal" is absolutely true! :gs1000smile:

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #475 of 2,930
I love the fact that you found the 2W(32Ω) MJ3 to have a fuller sound and better punch in the bass than the 24W(32Ω) Rag2 on the very hard-to-drive HE6SEv2!! :grinning:

This is just another great example that the old audiophile saying that "Not all watts are created equal" is absolutely true! :gs1000smile:
You think HE6seV2 is hard to drive? Try Tungsten! :)
And the answer is YES, Mj3 drives Tungsten easily.

IMG_9027 2.JPG

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #476 of 2,930
You think HE6seV2 is hard to drive? Try Tungsten! :)
And the answer is YES, Mj3 drives Tungsten easily.

IMG_9027 2.JPG
Are these the single or double sided?

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #477 of 2,930
As a new SchiitHead, having injected the Freya+ and Bifrost2/64 into an old school speaker/amp/transport system, and on the Friday13, placed an order for MJ3...I'm looking for the can...i have no headfones

update to indicate previously owned planar magnetic headphones have been purchased

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #478 of 2,930
As a new SchiitHead, having injected the Freya+ and Bifrost2/64 into an old school speaker/amp/transport system, and on the Friday13, placed an order for MJ3...I'm looking for the can...i have no headfones
Welcome to the hobby! I think you'll get more feedback in the new users/recommendation forum. But if you're going to be running the Mjolnir 3, you're in good shape to drive just about any headphone besides IEMs. You just need to share your music taste and audio preferences with the community and you'll get plenty of advice.

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #479 of 2,930
Make sure you try some planar magnetic headphones (doesn't matter from who ... DCA, Audeze, HiFiMan) you will be surprised how good they sound for a low price. The M3 is a great amp to have for this type of can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back