Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #2,746 of 2,936
https://a.co/d/7to9oM2 For those interested in a fan solution there’s also this option. Based on the measurements it would sit perfectly above the heat sinks

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #2,747 of 2,936
This little unit sits right on top of my MJ3 and works great, pulls the heat up and exhausts out the back. If you are looking for something a bit more AV oriented in looks.
AC infinity Aircom S6 it's 12" wide and sits right on top of the heat fins.
1714399731083.png
I have one of those on another component. Works very well if it can draw enough air. Mine is in a closed cabinet hence the qualifier.

I would like to be able to set the lower temperature a little lower. It is 84 and I think 80 would be better.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,749 of 2,936
Link doesn't work here?
Not sure why, but here’s the fan, it has to be the dual 80mm size, based on measurements it should sit perfectly atop the heat sinks, and it’s USB powered which is a plus. IMG_3771.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #2,750 of 2,936
I never really understood the paranoia about class-A amps getting hot. It is their nature. They get hot.
I can understand this obsessed usage of fans in case your space is limited for the amp and cannot ensure enough airflow or distance from surfaces from all directions (top, bottom, sides), but in fact all you need is a stand to lift the amp a little and just let it breathe. This way I can put my hands on the heat sinks even after hours.
PXL_20240429_164924449.PORTRAIT~3 (1).jpg

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #2,751 of 2,936
I never really understood the paranoia about class-A amps getting hot. It is their nature. They get hot.
I can understand this obsessed usage of fans in case your space is limited for the amp and cannot ensure enough airflow or distance from surfaces from all directions (top, bottom, sides), but in fact all you need is a stand to lift the amp a little and just let it breathe. This way I can put my hands on the heat sinks even after hours.
PXL_20240429_164924449.PORTRAIT~3 (1).jpg
Yea i completely agree, i don’t own a fan for my MJ3 although i do elevate it as it will heat up the surface of my desk if i don’t, but yea I let mines cook away. I get all sorts of pops and cracks with my unit but these are just from components increasing and decreasing in size due to temperature and i remember Jason saying these are things that the MJ3 just does. Also, these are the reasons he says the MJ3 isn’t for everyone. However, the way it sounds is undeniably beautiful.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #2,752 of 2,936
Ha!

Obsession over heat. well sir heat is the enemy of all things electronic for sure.
Class A runs hot, the duty cycle is 100%.
That said most Class A amps are well heatsinked. Some more than others...
One of the big added cost in a Class A amp well heat sinked amp are those often HUGE heatsinks.

That said a MJ3 should run fine with the heatsinks they have...but it does get hot.
Using a fan IMO is a great idea not an obsession.
Which ever way you go be happy..but the cooler the better for me.

Alex
:>)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,753 of 2,936
If possible to help it run cooler, that is a good thing. If not possible or desired, the amp will still work, just a lot hotter, either way it sounds really good.
The benefit is much less probability of things going wrong with the amp run cooler. Admittedly my fan solution does look ghetto, but it works darn good.
The other fan solutions look a lot better, cost a lot more, fit in tight racks a lot better, and I need to be saving for my Caldera. Working man's blues right? All good.

Apr 29, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2,755 of 2,936
It's always been a slight misconception about the temps getting hot then sounding better. They need only be stabilized for the improvements to come into play.
So once you have reached a temperature that can be maintained you are good. That could be 60c or 80c depending on cooling and once it reaches a temp that is consistent you are good to go.
Now imo the lower temp is always better bc everything degrades more at higher temps.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #2,756 of 2,936
I think, my MJ3 has properly burned in now.
I am glad to report that the treble definitely feels a lot smoother than at the beginning. MJ3 is certainly a unique amp with a special flavour amongst solid states. That kicking bass is super entertaining and mids are surprisingly sweet with good timbre. I do not find the treble bothering at all anymore, but it is certainly that area on the MJ3 which could use a little more refinement. All-in-all it is a very fun and entertaining listen, especially with some EDM.

May 2, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2,758 of 2,936
got my MJ3 back a week ago but was on vacation. Finally got to set it up a few nights ago and run it. From the repair paper, looks like they changed a few caps, some resistors, and diodes for stability. Visually on both channels they changed out both front most caps to the black ones now.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,759 of 2,936
got my MJ3 back a week ago but was on vacation. Finally got to set it up a few nights ago and run it. From the repair paper, looks like they changed a few caps, some resistors, and diodes for stability. Visually on both channels they changed out both front most caps to the black ones now.
Interesting, wish they mentioned the swaps they did when mine was in the repair for the gain switch, but the paperwork just mentioned the gain switch. Visually mine has one black and one blue capacitor on each side now.

May 2, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #2,760 of 2,936
Finally my Mjolnir 3 is delivered tomorrow.
I can't wait to listen to it with my Elite headphones and Pontus II dac.
Remember, it takes a while, from new, to reach peak.

Is the consensus that "warm up" for a new MJ3 takes hours or days?

Consensus for a "broken in" MJ3 "warm up" takes an hour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back