Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 2,826
The Lyr+ isn't really that much more powerful than the Mjolnir 3 into 300 Ohms from its SE output.

900mW vs. 500mW is only around 2.8dB more of dynamic headroom.

And the Mjolnir 3 is slightly more powerful than the Lyr+ into 300 Ohms from its balanced output (1000mW vs. 900mW).

But the Lyr+ definitely starts to pull ahead power-wise with headphone's that have lower impedances.

However, when listening to music at any sane level, most people with most headphones will never need to pull more than 500mW from any amp. Like.... ever. 🤖

I'm not sure how much their power ratings are comparable, since Lyr+ relies on Continuity to slip from Class A to AB under higher power demands, where Mjolnir 3 is pure Class A all the way through.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #17 of 2,826
I'm not sure how much their power ratings are comparable, since Lyr+ relies on Continuity to slip from Class A to AB under higher power demands, where Mjolnir 3 is pure Class A all the way through.

The main difference between Class A and Class A/B is that a pure Class A amp is designed so that it can not or will not cross over into Class B operation. But a Class A/B amp is designed to operate in Class A up to a certain threshold (usually around 1%-10% of its max power rating), and once that threshold is exceeded, it will then cross over into Class B operation to achieve the remainder of its max power rating. While Class A/B amps are nearly twice as efficient as Class A amps, the 'crossover distortion' that occurs whenever they switch from Class A to Class B and then back again is considered to be unpleasant to hear.

But a Class A amp and a Class A/B amp that are both rated at 1W (and all else being equal) should both have the exact same clipping point, so there shouldn't be any significant difference between them power-wise.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 2,826
But a Class A amp and a Class A/B amp that are both rated at 1W (and all else being equal) should both have the exact same clipping point, so there shouldn't be any significant difference between them power-wise.
Yes. And the very same explanation also leads to the conclusion that if you use 0.5 W, you may need a 50 W class A/B amp to get the sonic results that the 1 W class A amp would give.

It is a pattern that more powerful amps tends to sound better even when the power appears excessive. Maybe this stems from the powerful class A/B amps staying in class A operation?

I think this is only part of why, but I have not heard many class A amps yet, so I don't have a guess for how large this part is.

Aug 20, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 2,826
I think so. As a result of my inquiry, they told me to use a 110 volt voltage converter.
Hmmm .. I'm no expert but won't a converter introduce noise ? :thinking:

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 2,826
Hmmm .. I'm no expert but won't a converter introduce noise ? :thinking:
I'll be using a converter in Japan. It doesn't affect anything, as long as it's a proper transformer with a decent gauge of cable, and not one of those "travel" converters, which are rubbish.

Aug 20, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #25 of 2,826
I'll be using a converter in Japan. It doesn't affect anything, as long as it's a proper transformer with a decent gauge of cable, and not one of those "travel" converters, which are rubbish.
I would be interested to know what converters people will be using that are commonly available ... it's not something I've ever worried about before ... all stuff I have ever bought, at the very least, comes with a multi-region PSU.

Personally, i wouldn't know a good converter from a bad one.

Aug 20, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 2,826
Looking forward to your MJ3 review @Currawong !

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 2,826
I would be interested to know what converters people will be using that are commonly available ... it's not something I've ever worried about before ... all stuff I have ever bought, at the very least, comes with a multi-region PSU.

Personally, i wouldn't know a good converter from a bad one.
Get an isolation transformer 220/110V capable of 100W or more.

Something like this on Amazon:

Yinleader 500W Voltage Transformer Power Converter(220V to 110V, 110V to 220V) Step Up/Down Converter 110/120 Volt - 220/240 Volt​

https://www.amazon.com/Yinleader-Vo.../120+volt+-+220/240+volt+,aps,187&sr=8-3&th=1

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #28 of 2,826
$32 for a converter to feed a $1200 amplifier?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back