Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #51 of 2,776
I've been flirting with getting the Mjolnir 3 with the operating temperature being the main hurdle (besides budget) for me, 95°C is way too hot. if that is to be believed. Literally fry an egg lol.

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #52 of 2,776
I've been flirting with getting the Mjolnir 3 with the operating temperature being the main hurdle (besides budget) for me, 95°C is way too hot. if that is to be believed. Literally fry an egg lol.
No part of the chassis is 95 degrees. You're seeing a reading on an internal component through the slots in the top of the chassis. Chassis typical is 40-45, heatsinks 60-65.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #54 of 2,776
Visited the Schiit website for a totally unrelated reason on Sunday evening and saw the M3 was out. Ordered it immediately! Still hasn`t shipped. Crossing my fingers that it ships by the end of the week. Website says 5 to 7 days... Can`t wait to hear how it sounds with my HE100SE and HE6SEV2.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #55 of 2,776
I work nightshift so I don't have time to get out everything I wanna try, but here are first impressions after listening for a bit with my LCD5 and Bifrost 2 og. Comparing to my GSX-mk2 the GSX sounds wider and faster than Mjolnir 3. The GSX has the more transparent "estat" like sound. Mjolnir on the other hand has a more intimate sound, and has noticeably more low end, low end punch, and is very (and I mean very) forward sounding.
Listening to Bennie And The Jets by Elton John on MJ3 the volume spikes in the piano really jump out at you in a (for me) startling way. The GSX has more of a "detailed" edge during listening, and MJ3 sounds smoother and more natural. Yet, in the biggest surprise ever, MJ3 has way more room detail. So much more of the room is audible in my set up it was (other than the punchiness) the first thing that stood out to me. The GSX sounds more like a clap track, and MJ3 sounds more like a crowd of people.
I know this is a terrible example, because the environment is impossible to replicate, but MJ3 at first listen reminds me of my first time hearing Valhalla 2. Just without the additional thickness I had heard in the low end on the tubes. My first listen was done with balanced inputs, low gain, push pull, no feedback, and with a balanced headphone cable. On high gain with pot maxed I didn't hear any noise floor. A very good first impression has been made on me, and I can't wait to share more when I get the chance to listen to it more. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #56 of 2,776
I work nightshift so I don't have time to get out everything I wanna try, but here are first impressions after listening for a bit with my LCD5 and Bifrost 2 og. Comparing to my GSX-mk2 the GSX sounds wider and faster than Mjolnir 3. The GSX has the more transparent "estat" like sound. Mjolnir on the other hand has a more intimate sound, and has noticeably more low end, low end punch, and is very (and I mean very) forward sounding.
Listening to Bennie And The Jets by Elton John on MJ3 the volume spikes in the piano really jump out at you in a (for me) startling way. The GSX has more of a "detailed" edge during listening, and MJ3 sounds smoother and more natural. Yet, in the biggest surprise ever, MJ3 has way more room detail. So much more of the room is audible in my set up it was (other than the punchiness) the first thing that stood out to me. The GSX sounds more like a clap track, and MJ3 sounds more like a crowd of people.
I know this is a terrible example, because the environment is impossible to replicate, but MJ3 at first listen reminds me of my first time hearing Valhalla 2. Just without the additional thickness I had heard in the low end on the tubes. My first listen was done with balanced inputs, low gain, push pull, no feedback, and with a balanced headphone cable. On high gain with pot maxed I didn't hear any noise floor. A very good first impression has been made on me, and I can't wait to share more when I get the chance to listen to it more. :thumbsup:
Time to listen in single-ended mode! I believe that is supposed to be the best sounding mode, and the purest form of class A. Mine will get here tomorrow and I'm listening to the Jot 2 all day today to get a good baseline.

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #58 of 2,776
Time to listen in single-ended mode! I believe that is supposed to be the best sounding mode, and the purest form of class A. Mine will get here tomorrow and I'm listening to the Jot 2 all day today to get a good baseline.
I did very limited listening in the single ended mode, but my first impression was that the sound was a little more composed, and had more of the "smooth" sound to it. Push pull was really the wild animal version of the amp on the LCD5, and it made my ape brain happy. :smile:

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #59 of 2,776
I know the bliss kte and mj3 are different in specs but I'm curious if anyone has compared them? I owned the bliss kte for a few months and got to know it very well. I sold it but I remember how the bliss kte sounded compared to my other amps so I'm curious to see how the mj3 performs in relation.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #60 of 2,776
No part of the chassis is 95 degrees. You're seeing a reading on an internal component through the slots in the top of the chassis. Chassis typical is 40-45, heatsinks 60-65.
That is exactly why I showed that picture. It was hard for me to tell exactly what was so toasty and then trying to spot the component on the PCB picture, but I definitely believe the numbers. I've had it running all day long as I've been comparing BOMs and I definitely would NOT leave my hand on the heatsinks! I did rummage through our machine shop and found some inch-plus tall standoffs for the Bifrost, so there's no problem with airflow.

Edit - and also, if the chassis or any exposed surface were reaching 90+ Celsius, I'm sure our favorite federal regulatory agency would make sure there would be at least a plethora of gaudy labels warning the idiot, er user, to not touch them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back