Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #61 of 2,899
@GumbyDammit223
@Nick76

I must be in Schiits doghouse 😭

I ordered mine at 6:13 AM pacific time on release day and it hasn't even shipped yet... Even if it ships tomorrow, I wont see it until next week...(Fedex Ground)
Don't worry. I've used up ALL of my karma on this shipment so any and all shipments I get in the future will go so sideways they'll go full circle before I get my hands on them. Just think, YOUR karma will be swinging far into the green zone with this and future shipments will be quick and worry free! :relaxed:

Aug 22, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #63 of 2,899
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #64 of 2,899
A headamp is basically a pre. And you have a Rag2 if I remember correctly. That has a pre built in. I still don't understand why you need yet another pre.
There are levels to this and the 300B brings so much dimension.

I use the Perryman mesh 45 DAC with a 300B pre to my CFA3 and it's as incredible as any tube amplification. Which is a beast-mode with planar pairings.

Aug 22, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #65 of 2,899
A headamp is basically a pre. And you have a Rag2 if I remember correctly. That has a pre built in. I still don't understand why you need yet another pre.
Oh, I thought you asked a very general question, or maybe were wondering why Schiit released Kara, a preamp with a headphone out.

Generally you don't need a preamp in front of a headphone amp. But you might want one for various reasons.
  • To add tube flavor, like @paradoxper suggests
  • To use a stepped relay attenuator instead of the potentiometer in the headphone amp, say to avoid channel imbalance issues or improve the sound. You could use the headphone amp like a power amp and set it to max volume, and control the volume with the preamp in front of it.
  • Maybe the headphone amp only has fixed volume levels and you want more fine grained control for your sensitive headphones
  • To connect more than one single ended or more than one balanced source to a headphone amp with only one such input
  • To convert your source to/from single ended if the headphone amp doesn't have the right input for you source
  • Some people might use multiple headphone amps for different headphones and level match them with the built-in volume control, and then use a preamp to control the volume evenly for all headphone amps simultaneously
  • Maybe in some weird cases a preamp in between a source and a headphone amp might improve impedance mismatches between the involved inputs and outputs
  • To be able to change the volume with a remote control, say if the headphone amp is far away and you're using a long extension cord to your headphones
  • The source might be far away and already connected to a nearby preamp for speaker use, and using that preamp's output is the only convenient way to connect the headphone amp to the same source

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #66 of 2,899
Since it is Class A, it makes no difference if it is idle or full output.
I thought Class A had to convert all "energy" to waste when idle?

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #67 of 2,899
order late Fri, 18th no shipping notice :cry:

Aug 22, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #68 of 2,899
I'll be posting my first impressions and comparisons once I receive mine in the mail. Was supposed to be here yesterday, and now we try again today. FedEx seems to be having trouble getting it to me anywhere 😂
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #69 of 2,899
Oh, I thought you asked a very general question, or maybe were wondering why Schiit released Kara, a preamp with a headphone out.

Generally you don't need a preamp in front of a headphone amp. But you might want one for various reasons.
  • To add tube flavor, like @paradoxper suggests
  • To use a stepped relay attenuator instead of the potentiometer in the headphone amp, say to avoid channel imbalance issues or improve the sound. You could use the headphone amp like a power amp and set it to max volume, and control the volume with the preamp in front of it.
  • Maybe the headphone amp only has fixed volume levels and you want more fine grained control for your sensitive headphones
  • To connect more than one single ended or more than one balanced source to a headphone amp with only one such input
  • To convert your source to/from single ended if the headphone amp doesn't have the right input for you source
  • Some people might use multiple headphone amps for different headphones and level match them with the built-in volume control, and then use a preamp to control the volume evenly for all headphone amps simultaneously
  • Maybe in some weird cases a preamp in between a source and a headphone amp might improve impedance mismatches between the involved inputs and outputs
  • To be able to change the volume with a remote control, say if the headphone amp is far away and you're using a long extension cord to your headphones
  • The source might be far away and already connected to a nearby preamp for speaker use, and using that preamp's output is the only convenient way to connect the headphone amp to the same source

I should have stated that I'm a purist and adding more sand and copper is a no-no. I mistakenly ASSumed that we're all purists. My apologies. Carry on 🙂

Aug 23, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #70 of 2,899
I should have stated that I'm a purist and adding more sand and copper is a no-no.
Except when making cables thicker, then more copper is good.:L3000:

I mistakenly ASSumed that we're all purists.
Of course, I would never do any of these things! Once the signal is analog, anyway. Don't ask me about my digital chain.

Edit: Actually, I briefly had a Gustard H20 between the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 2 (which I only use for speakers) because there's only one balanced pair of outputs on the Yggdrasil. Actually sounded good! I am too lazy to swap cables, most XLR splitter cables seem to be cheap and the ones I have don't sound good enough, and XLR output switches are very expensive and require yet another pair of cables.
But I prefer the Pass Labs HPA-1 over the Gustard H20 and since that one is single ended I could connect both it and the Ragnarok 2 directly to the Yggdrasil. Nervosa cured treated.

My apologies. Carry on 🙂
Nah, my bad, I just didn't realize you were asking in response to this:
Considering pairing one out with some 300B pre but am worried about ultimate drive and a little more worried about resolution smearing.
Probably better off pairing the pre with a Ragnarok but I do have enough gear sitting unused which irks.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #71 of 2,899
Except when making cables thicker, then more copper is good.:L3000:

Of course, I would never do any of these things! Once the signal is analog, anyway. Don't ask me about my digital chain.

Edit: Actually, I briefly had a Gustard H20 between the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok 2 (which I only use for speakers) because there's only one balanced pair of outputs on the Yggdrasil. Actually sounded good! I am too lazy to swap cables, most XLR splitter cables seem to be cheap and the ones I have don't sound good enough, and XLR output switches are very expensive and require yet another pair of cables.
But I prefer the Pass Labs HPA-1 over the Gustard H20 and since that one is single ended I could connect both it and the Ragnarok 2 directly to the Yggdrasil. Nervosa cured treated.

Nah, my bad, I just didn't realize you were asking in response to this:

Off topic, but Yggy SE outputs are quite nice, and Nexus is pretty awesome, do you actually notice a difference between balanced/se from Yggy into Ragnarok?

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #72 of 2,899
Off topic, but Yggy SE outputs are quite nice, and Nexus is pretty awesome, do you actually notice a difference between balanced/se from Yggy into Ragnarok?
I don't recall trying that, actually. And currently I can't test that easily, I got 25 ft long XLR cables because of how far apart they currently are. With a SparkoS Aries balanced sounded much better than single ended (okay vs. unpleasant), even though that is a single ended amplifier. And yet single ended into the HPA-1 sounded better still than balanced into the Aries. I always wonder whether I'm missing something because a certain forum likes to call the SE out on the Yggdrasil "gimped". It's delightful with the HPA-1 and DCA Stealth.

In general I don't know how people can determine that a DAC's balanced output is better than its single ended output since it might also be that the downstream device's balanced input is better than its single ended input or vice versa. The circuitry on the other end is necessarily different depending on which path is chosen.

Though apparently on said forum using transformers to convert balanced into single ended is preferred over using the summed outputs, perhaps that's where the "gimped" verdict comes from. I have no experience with that.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #73 of 2,899
I thought on said forum, folks were using Jensen transformers on Gungnir, to convert balanced to SE and that it was Gungnir that had "gimped" SE. I don't recall reading much about yggy SE being gimped, but that other site (SBAF) is quite large and I haven't read everything.

Aug 23, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #75 of 2,899
I thought on said forum, folks were using Jensen transformers on Gungnir, to convert balanced to SE and that it was Gungnir that had "gimped" SE. I don't recall reading much about yggy SE being gimped, but that other site (SBAF) is quite large and I haven't read everything.
Purr1n: "Gungnir / Yggdrasil A2 SE outputs are gimped compared to BAL for those who didn't know."
Elsewhere he says it's overblown. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back