Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,341 of 6,968
No problem. Thank you, anyway. The thing is, that I already have V200 (its single ended output is the same as V280). Just want to try another amp, looking for more aggressive and forward sound. I like the V200, it`s a great amp, just want to try different sound signature.

I think the V280 will give you exactly what you are looking for...if you can swing the extra $$ over the Mjolnir2, you will NOT regret it. I have the V281 and it is a monster when it is running balanced. It has twice the power and the sound signature is more detailed, energetic and extends both in the highs and lows much more than the V200 (which sounds much like running the V280/V281 in single-ended configuration).

The Mjolnir 2 is a fantastic amp, and a real "bargain" at $850, but I find my V281 to be the better amp for most use cases and it is the one I listen to the most by a large margin.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,342 of 6,968
Exact same for me but another month is no big deal. I made it this far in life without one. If you've been reading the Schiit story you probably can appreciate what these guys might be going through. Looks like growing pains to me. By all indications they're a stand up company.

I'm with you, Bob. I have no amp emergency here. No problem waiting. It's nice to have company during the wait.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,343 of 6,968
I think the V280 will give you exactly what you are looking for...if you can swing the extra $$ over the Mjolnir2, you will NOT regret it. I have the V281 and it is a monster when it is running balanced. It has twice the power and the sound signature is more detailed, energetic and extends both in the highs and lows much more than the V200 (which sounds much like running the V280/V281 in single-ended configuration).

The Mjolnir 2 is a fantastic amp, and a real "bargain" at $850, but I find my V281 to be the better amp for most use cases and it is the one I listen to the most by a large margin.
Thank you. I`ve never thought about changing my Violectric for another Violectric. That might be interesting. I have not expected that much difference between single ended and balanced outputs.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #2,345 of 6,968
I have been waiting for my Mjolnir 2 since October - I hope whatever supply/ manufacturing issues they have get resolved soon

I've been waiting for my Mjolnir 2 order since Nov. 30. Patience is virtue.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,346 of 6,968
Hey all, I'm new to the thread, but I recently placed an order for MJ2 + Gumby as well. I had no idea that Schiit has had the MJ2 on backorder since October! Congrats to you all for being so patient, I don't know if I could do that haha. I am highly anticipating receiving these two items, as I currently have a Jotunheim with the built-in DAC. It's a bit on the bright side for my HD 800 (S model), so I'm hoping that the new setup will be the perfect complement to these phones.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,347 of 6,968
it'll be a fantastic pairing. Multibit is required for the HD800 series, and the forthcoming gadget is recommendable.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,349 of 6,968
it'll be a fantastic pairing. Multibit is required for the HD800 series, and the forthcoming gadget is recommendable.
Do you have any tube recommendations? I've heard tons on the Amperex Orange Globe tubes, and a little on the new production Gold Lions.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,350 of 6,968
iFi are the sexy choice, if memory serves. The thread occasionally has tube recommendation orgies, so search it for that. I have '68 orange globes, and find them fantastic. '75 Reflektor are also very fashionable. I recommend having LISST on hand the way you have ginger at a sushi restaurant. It cleanses the palate and resets your ears. It represents "pure" MJ2; all tubes turn the amp toward their own character, but make it hard to talk about the amp in isolation.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,351 of 6,968
iFi are the sexy choice, if memory serves. The thread occasionally has tube recommendation orgies, so search it for that. I have '68 orange globes, and find them fantastic. '75 Reflektor are also very fashionable. I recommend having LISST on hand the way you have ginger at a sushi restaurant. It cleanses the palate and resets your ears. It represents "pure" MJ2; all tubes turn the amp toward their own character, but make it hard to talk about the amp in isolation.
Very nice, thank you for the recommendations. I'll definitely check into the thread for further tube talk. I like your sushi restaurant analogy, that's fantastic. I am also curious as to how you think the MJ2 + Gumby will sound compared to the Jotunheim with built-in DAC. That's what I'm using now, but it's much too bright on certain tracks. Will the MJ2 (with tubes, not LISST tubes) tone down the brightness just a tad?

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,352 of 6,968
I would also be curious to know what a fair price to pay for the iFi tubes would be. Thank you

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,353 of 6,968
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the iFi tubes. They go for $99 for a matched pair on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered them. Supposedly very lush and full midrange and increased depth of the soundstage. Will be very interesting to see how they turn out. As for the MJ2 + Gumby, it is going to be difficult to have to wait for another month for them to show up!

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,354 of 6,968
That's what they usually cost. Also, feel free to edit your posts to include further thoughts rather than posting three times in a row.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2,355 of 6,968
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the iFi tubes. They go for $99 for a matched pair on Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered them. Supposedly very lush and full midrange and increased depth of the soundstage. Will be very interesting to see how they turn out. As for the MJ2 + Gumby, it is going to be difficult to have to wait for another month for them to show up!

It's getting harder and harder to wait! I catch myself eyeing a few other options while I'm waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back