Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,847 of 6,955
Indeed. Even HE-6 can get quite loud. I won't call it the last word on HE-6 or K1000 in terms of power, but it still does remarkably well on them. On every other, its power is far in excess of the requirement. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,849 of 6,955

Both are great!  The Limited X is physically much lighter and more comfortable than my HE-1000's (V1).  

In terms of sound, I think the HE-1000's are a bit snappier in the bass, yet saying that implies the Limited X are flabby and loose; they certainly are not.  The mid-range on the HE-1000 feels a touch warmer.  Detail seems to me just as refined and precise.

As an example, get the Riders on the Storm track from George Winston's piano album, "Night Divides the Day."  The bass note sections are remarkable.  He plays a Steinway, yet it sounds much richer and growlier like a Boesendorfer.  Anyway, that track conveys to me some differences.  The HE-1000's you have the sense of each of the bass note strings thrumming away with space and air between them.  the Limited X still sound great, just a tad less aural space sensation.

YMMV :wink:

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,854 of 6,955
March 3rd

I placed my order 13 days later... *sigh* but thanks for the update dude! Hoping this means things will start shipping soon. I've got a Gungnir Multibit and MJ2 on order. :/

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,857 of 6,955

Let me share a comment on Mjolnir2 settings for the HE1000 vs the HiFI Man Limited X...

Max tolerable volume (deafening club level) for the HE-1000's, for me, is at 1200 position on the volume knob when the Mjolnir 2 gain / sensitivity switch being in the "up" position (e.g., low sensitivity headphones)

for the Limited X, the Mjolnir2, the "too darned loud" volume knob position is about 1000 hrs position...BUT(!) with the Mjolnir2 gain / sensitivity switch being in the "down" position.  

If I leave the Mjolnir2 gain / sensitivity switch is left in the "up" position when I use the Limited X headphones, then "too darned loud" is down at about the 7PM position for the volume knob leaving virtually no "play" to make minor volume adjustments.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,858 of 6,955
I have problem and i hope you guys can help me. I need DAC (with xlr out) for my MJ2. Around 500€. 
Any recommendations?

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,860 of 6,955
  I have problem and i hope you guys can help me. I need DAC (with xlr out) for my MJ2. Around 500€. 
Any recommendations?

Check out the TEAC UD-301, I was considering it before I said screw it and went with a Gungnir instead. Reviews seem pretty good plus it has a built-in headphone amp.

What I was doing before getting my Gungnir (since I ordered the MJ 2 several months before getting a Gungnir as I was mainly listening to vinyls at the time) was to use balanced TRS to XLR cables from my Fiio K5/Fiio X5-II balanced-out. Wasn't great, but it was good enough. 

IMO though the extra $200 (USD is pretty close to the EUR right now) for a Gungnir is totally worth it as it was meant to be paired with the MJ2.

Edit: Sorry, extra $300, not $200. Still worth it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back