Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 29, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,862 of 6,973
  That Teac sound interesting but mayby i should save some more and buy Gumby. Thanks for recommendations.

I would get a Gumby and use XLR interconnects. I just got a Mjolnir 2 and connected it to my Yggdrasil using "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR interconnects. Awesome sounding combination!

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,863 of 6,973
I just got my Mjolnir 2. I had been using a Lyr 2. I put the socket savers and a pair of 1975 Reflectors in and connected it to my Yggdrasil using "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR interconnects.

First, I listened to CCR's "Susie Q" using my powered monitors. Wow!  A clear step up in sound quality!! Then I listened to Yes's "Roundabout". Another wow! The Beatles' "Come Together" was next. The clarity and power of the bass. Another wow!!! Then it was Micheal Jackson's "Thriller". Again, another wow!

Then I spent some time listening to my headphones. Whatever veil was might be present with the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones using lesser amps is most certainly gone! I don't know if is the "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR headphone cables or something else. All I know is that the HD 650 headphones sound the best they ever have!

Color me happy!!!!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,864 of 6,973
  I just got my Mjolnir 2. I had been using a Lyr 2. I put the socket savers and a pair of 1975 Reflectors in and connected it to my Yggdrasil using "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR interconnects.

First, I listened to CCR's "Susie Q" using my powered monitors. Wow!  A clear step up in sound quality!! Then I listened to Yes's "Roundabout". Another wow! The Beatles' "Come Together" was next. The clarity and power of the bass. Another wow!!! Then it was Micheal Jackson's "Thriller". Again, another wow!

Then I spent some time listening to my headphones. Whatever veil was might be present with the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones using lesser amps is most certainly gone! I don't know if is the "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR headphone cables or something else. All I know is that the HD 650 headphones sound the best they ever have!

Color me happy!!!!

I basically did the same move. My question is did you run the HD's balanced? If not, you need to get some new cords 4 em.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,865 of 6,973
  I basically did the same move. My question is did you run the HD's balanced? If not, you need to get some new cords 4 em.

They have HD6XX balanced ZY cables on massdrop right now, just sayin...

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,866 of 6,973

As stated, I have "Amplifier Surgery" silver plated OFC XLR headphone cables for my HD 650 headphones. Great cables, by the way!

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #1,869 of 6,973
Does using the 1/4 inch headphone jack negate the benefit of xlr interconnects between yggy and mj2?

No. Both the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 are true internal balanced and differential signal designs. The singled-ended headphone output is internally summed. When using XLR interconnects, the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 communicate using a balanced and differential signal, regardless of the headphone output used.

Interestingly enough, if you use an SE input into the Mjolnir 2, you can't use the XLR headphone output. There is no signal on that connector.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #1,870 of 6,973

No. Both the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 are true internal balanced and differential signal designs. The singled-ended headphone output is internally summed. When using XLR interconnects, the Yggdrasil and Mjolnir 2 communicate using a balanced and differential signal, regardless of the headphone output used.

Interestingly enough, if you use an SE input into the Mjolnir 2, you can't use the XLR headphone output. There is no signal on that connector.

Does using the 1/4 inch headphone jack negate the benefit of xlr interconnects between yggy and mj2?

In case you were unaware, SE out has lower power output than the xlr out.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,871 of 6,973

Well actually the point of using a balanced setup is to eliminate crosstalk between channels created by the fact that both channels share a common ground (also xlr also allows you to run much longer distances due to higher voltage and redundant hot channel which cancels out interference). By using the 1/4 output, you go back to a common ground. So yes, you negate part of the benefit of using XLR interconnects.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,872 of 6,973

Technically the XLR headphone-out should work with both Balanced and SE outputs. This is from the instructions manual:

"Yes, Mjolnir 2 is also a 2-input preamp and balanced-SE and SE-balanced converter. Fun times!"

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,873 of 6,973
  Well actually the point of using a balanced setup is to eliminate crosstalk between channels created by the fact that both channels share a common ground (also xlr also allows you to run much longer distances due to higher voltage and redundant hot channel which cancels out interference). By using the 1/4 output, you go back to a common ground. So yes, you negate part of the benefit of using XLR interconnects.

Well on paper, yes. The higher voltage part, yes. The XLR-connection on the Mjolnir 2 power output 4 times more than the regular SE. About the crosstalk stuff etc, it is able to discuss. A lot of high-end amplifiers only have SE input. The SE cable used makes a difference though. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,874 of 6,973

A lot of high-end amplifiers only have SE input. The SE cable used makes a difference though. 

Is a High-end SE amp better than a mid-fi balanced amp? Probably. Is a good balanced amp better than an equivalent SE amp? I believe so. The marginal improvement is probably below 5% though. Another advantage is that Balanced setups aren't as cable sensitive as SE setups, again due to higher voltage and interference cancellation. 

Again, for power-hungy cans, Balanced is a must. I don't know any headphone amp than can deliver 5W pc through SE (if anyone knows any I'd be curious to hear).

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,875 of 6,973

Technically the XLR headphone-out should work with both Balanced and SE outputs. This is from the instructions manual:

"Yes, Mjolnir 2 is also a 2-input preamp and balanced-SE and SE-balanced converter. Fun times!"

Even more interesting is how stupid I can be! Of course there will be no output from the XLR headphone port when you select the SE inputs vis the front switch and you have no interconnects on the SE inputs. Sometimes.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back