Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,726 of 6,930

@bosiemoncrieff I can't speak to the stock HD650 since I find it too dark for my taste, so mine has the rear foam/cage removed, but before I reacquired an HD800 I was running the MJ2 with HD600/HD650 exclusively, and loving it. Before that point I had never understood people running amps worth multiple times the value of their headphones, but now I believe all the HD6x0 evangelists who say they scale like crazy. The HD800 is obviously the more technically capable of the bunch but I don't feel the HD600/HD650 sell the MJ2 short in the least. Should I need to sell something down the road I'd miss the HD800, but would be perfectly happy with MJ2/HD6x0. (This is all referring to balanced of course). Timbre is what both these headphones really excel in (especially the HD600 IMO) and the MJ2 brings them to life in such a realistic sounding way it can be spooky.

As far as which pairs better with the MJ2 that comes down to personal preference, before the HD800 arrived I was giving the HD600 and HD650 equal head time as they had different strengths. HD600 has clearer midrange/tighter bass and HD650 modded has a more relaxed sound with more air/treble extension. Hope this helps.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #1,728 of 6,930
Just received my MJ2. Amperex orange globes, Gumby and Focal Elears with a balanced cable from Impact Audio Cables. My jaw is on the floor!

Sounds about right! Feel free to share your impressions with specific pieces of music and genres.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,731 of 6,930
I just received my first Schiit amp --- a Mjolnir 2 --- and I will be connecting my turntable to its single-stage RCA inputs via a Bellari VC130 single-tube phono preamp. My question is, if/when I begin to invest in additional tubes, how important is it, sonically and/or electrically, that the single tube in the Bellari match up with the two tubes in the Mjolnir 2? Or should I not worry about any cumulatively negative effect from using completely different tube brands/years in each of the two preamps?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,732 of 6,930
I'm having a crisis, fellas... and I need your help!

As you all know, tax returns are upon us and just so happens my birthday is coming up. I'm having trouble deciding whether I should upgrade my Lyr to a Mjolnir 2 or upgrade my Modi2ber to a BiMBy. I'm using LCD-2's (2016 Aluminum)

*Please, only input from those who have transitioned from Lyr 1 or 2 to Mj2 or have upgraded from Schiit D/S to MB and have suggestions that pertain to actual experience. 
Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,733 of 6,930
I would say Bimby, multibit is a huge upgrade!

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,735 of 6,930
I went from Boober to Bimby and it was really excellent. My MO is always upgrade the weakest link in your chain, which right now is undoubtedly Moober. I'm not in love with Lyr, but I think Mjolnir would not make a huge difference for your LCD-2. Better to get iFi tubes to get the most out of Lyr. Besides, Bimby matches Lyr physically.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #1,736 of 6,930
  I went from Boober to Bimby and it was really excellent. My MO is always upgrade the weakest link in your chain, which right now is undoubtedly Moober. I'm not in love with Lyr, but I think Mjolnir would not make a huge difference for your LCD-2. Better to get iFi tubes to get the most out of Lyr. Besides, Bimby matches Lyr physically.

+1 to everything you said lol 
tongue_smile.gif
 Although personally I found the Mjolnir 2/Gumby stack an absolute beast so maybe save up and get that? This is comes from someone who owned a Bimby/Lyr2 stack for over a year.

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,738 of 6,930
+1 to everything you said lol :tongue_smile:  Although personally I found the Mjolnir 2/Gumby stack an absolute beast so maybe save up and get that? This is comes from someone who owned a Bimby/Lyr2 stack for over a year.

Appreciate your feedback. Seems as though the way to go is MJ2 and save up for a Gumby considering the DAC is the least dramatic aspect of a setup. Ordering a Bimby doesn't make much sense at this point if I'm aiming to go fully balanced in the long run! :blush:

Edit: Plus I could sell my Lyr and the tubes that won't be compatible anymore, my Schiit Stack, some headphones, etc. I'll be there in no time lol

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,739 of 6,930
lol if you want to get MJ2 get MJ2. If you know you're going to supersede Bimby with Gumby someday, by all means, skip the middle step (as I did going from Vali to MJ2). If you merely wanted confirmation that a plan you had already assembled was the correct one, though, you might have said as much :p

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,740 of 6,930
Is it possible to connect these 3-way speakers (2x, L and R) to the Mjolnir 2 ? http://www.eve-audio.com/index.php?page=SC305#nogo . It has a balanced XLR-input. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back