Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 29, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,666 of 6,968
So I just A/B'd Vali 1 and Mjolnir 2 listening to Teodor Currentzis's Le nozze di Figaro on my HD800. I volume matched unscientifically (one channel from each amp until they sounded equal), and used balanced with MJ2 to give it every advantage I could. I have to say, Vali gets really, really, REALLY close to MJ2 with my '68 orange globes. Unless you need the power (and of course I very much do), Vali seems as though it gets you 97% of the way there. Maybe 98%. I can't believe how awesome this little guy is.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,667 of 6,968
  So I just A/B'd Vali 1 and Mjolnir 2 listening to Teodor Currentzis's Le nozze di Figaro on my HD800. I volume matched unscientifically (one channel from each amp until they sounded equal), and used balanced with MJ2 to give it every advantage I could. I have to say, Vali gets really, really, REALLY close to MJ2 with my '68 orange globes. Unless you need the power (and of course I very much do), Vali seems as though it gets you 97% of the way there. Maybe 98%. I can't believe how awesome this little guy is.

So the no longer available Vali 1 is an MJ2 beater?

Great plan to drive up the value of the few remaining Vali 1's in the world! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,668 of 6,968
For the money, I recommend it unhesitatingly. Ditto Vali 2 of course, because tube rolling etc., but Vali 1 was a stunning achievement. It was $119!

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,669 of 6,968
  For the money, I recommend it unhesitatingly. Ditto Vali 2 of course, because tube rolling etc., but Vali 1 was a stunning achievement. It was $119!

Well if it's 97% of a Mjolnir 2 then the Vali 1 should be worth $823.53.

BTW, I literally LOL'ed at the 2-digits of precision in your worth estimate....
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #1,670 of 6,968
Anyone get a shipping notification yet? Ordered mine on 12/20, getting antsy waiting for it! Can't wait to go balanced -- until then, I just have to read everyone's posts in this thread!

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,671 of 6,968

Well if it's 97% of a Mjolnir 2 then the Vali 1 should be worth $823.53.

BTW, I literally LOL'ed at the 2-digits of precision in your worth estimate....
rolleyes.gif

or a Mjolnir 2 should be worth like $123...

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,672 of 6,968

I was listening to my Vali 1 last night while browsing the MJ2 specs on their site. Always wonder how much improvement a better amp might bring but I agree the Vali is still very impressive. Glad I picked one up before Schiit sold out of their closeouts.

With, as you say, a less than 5% improvement (for over $700 more) are there any balanced hybrids you'd recommend that are leaps beyond the Vali?

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,673 of 6,968

I was listening to my Vali 1 last night while browsing the MJ2 specs on their site. Always wonder how much improvement a better amp might bring but I agree the Vali is still very impressive. Glad I picked one up before Schiit sold out of their closeouts.

With, as you say, a less than 5% improvement (for over $700 more) are there any balanced hybrids you'd recommend that are leaps beyond the Vali?

No experience with Vali1, but I do have Vali2, Lyr1 & 2, and MJ2.
I do like the Vali2, very much, for what it is. However, both the Lyr1 and 2 are significantly better than the Vali2.
And, the MJ2 is a significant step-up from the Lyrs and the Valhalla. IMO, a great value at it's price level.
Only my experience, of course. This is with multiple headphones and many, many tube varieties.
But yes, you do need decent tubes, and I am using the GungnirMB.

What about Asgard?

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #1,674 of 6,968

WA5. Also the WA22-SE (which I heard in prototype). In both cases, you get dramatically more power and dramatically more transparent sound. Mjolnir gives you way more power and a smidgen more refinement (to my ears, via HD800).

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,676 of 6,968

No experience with Vali1, but I do have Vali2, Lyr1 & 2, and MJ2.
I do like the Vali2, very much, for what it is. However, both the Lyr1 and 2 are significantly better than the Vali2.
And, the MJ2 is a significant step-up from the Lyrs and the Valhalla. IMO, a great value at it's price level.
Only my experience, of course. This is with multiple headphones and many, many tube varieties.
But yes, you do need decent tubes, and I am using the GungnirMB.

What about Asgard?

Thanks for the insight.

Haven't tried any other Schiit amps yet have been pretty set on another hybrid so not considering the Asgard. The MJ2 is one of the few amps to tick most of the boxes I'm looking for but the higher price and lack of gushing reviews have made me more cautious.

I know the MJ2 is a good amp (at minimum) but not sure if it'd be close enough to the end-game I'm searching for. May have to just take that leap, try it, and make my decision within the 15 day return window.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,677 of 6,968

WA5. Also the WA22-SE (which I heard in prototype). In both cases, you get dramatically more power and dramatically more transparent sound. Mjolnir gives you way more power and a smidgen more refinement (to my ears, via HD800).

Haven't heard the WA5 yet. I'm sure it's impressive. $6000.

The WA22-SE looks exciting. A new 2-chassis setup. Nice. $3500 maybe?

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,678 of 6,968

I researched the Woo amps last year after the WA8 release. The WA22's price is in-line with some other brands I looked but I prefer the MJ2's design. Both are bigger than I'm used too (spoiled by the Vali's mini size) but I prefer the more recessed tubes on the MJ2.

Even thought about getting a Jotenheim to pair with a tube buffer I already have but difficult to decide without hearing either amp.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,679 of 6,968

Thanks for the insight.

Haven't tried any other Schiit amps yet have been pretty set on another hybrid so not considering the Asgard. The MJ2 is one of the few amps to tick most of the boxes I'm looking for but the higher price and lack of gushing reviews have made me more cautious.

I know the MJ2 is a good amp (at minimum) but not sure if it'd be close enough to the end-game I'm searching for. May have to just take that leap, try it, and make my decision within the 15 day return window.

The MJ2 is a very clean, quiet, dynamic amp capable of extremely fine detail and superb soundstage, but, it is dependent on the DAC you use to feed it and the tube you use to power it.
IMO, the Gumby is an extremely fine DAC and a good value; the tubes don't have to be expensive.
Also depends on what you're looking to hear... I listen to a variety of music but my equipment and tube assessment is always based on live acoustic performance, small ensemble or full orchestra, I want to hear as much of the live performance as I can, that includes not only full and natural instrument and voice but spatial acoustics as well. Starts with the recording, of course, but the MJ2/Gumby combination is impressive, especially at the price.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,680 of 6,968
The MJ2 is a very clean, quiet, dynamic amp capable of extremely fine detail and superb soundstage, but, it is dependent on the DAC you use to feed it and the tube you use to power it.
IMO, the Gumby is an extremely fine DAC and a good value; the tubes don't have to be expensive.
Also depends on what you're looking to hear... I listen to a variety of music but my equipment and tube assessment is always based on live acoustic performance, small ensemble or full orchestra, I want to hear as much of the live performance as I can, that includes not only full and natural instrument and voice but spatial acoustics as well. Starts with the recording, of course, but the MJ2/Gumby combination is impressive, especially at the price.

Plan to get another dac very soon as well (probably before the amp due to lower cost). Looking at a couple of R2R dacs including the Mimby. However, I do wish the Mimby had selectable filters (for more customization) and did DSD (only for the crazy upsampling I sometimes do on poorer recordings).

I also listen to variety of stuff and prefer an amp with great detail, dynamics, separation, and a massive (but not artificial) soundstage. A low noise floor would be great too but no way a hybrid can match what solid-state amps do there. The LISST option is a nice feature of the MJ2. Only other amp capable of going from solid-state to hybrid is the iCan Pro but its $900 more and seems (in the threads at least) there are some defect/reliability problems with the iFi. Schiit's 5 year warranty gives the MJ2 another advantage.

Only concern right now, with the MJ2 closing on 2 years, is how soon the MJ3 might come along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back