Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 26, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,651 of 6,973
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but has anyone compared the mjolnir 2 and the much more expensive woo wa22? i intend to use any of these amps with an LCD 3 balanced mode . Money is not an issue. This will be an investment for many years to come. I just want the best pairing.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,652 of 6,973
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but has anyone compared the mjolnir 2 and the much more expensive woo wa22? i intend to use any of these amps with an LCD 3 balanced mode . Money is not an issue. This will be an investment for many years to come. I just want the best pairinng

I use a Dekard Class A  SS Amp   for my LCD 2 , tried Lyr2 for a tube amp sent it back,(good amp though)  would like to try the mjolnir 2 for a a tube amp, with a balanced output,   so I would also like to see this discussed  plus what is the big difference having a circlotron -style topology ? why are they more costly ?

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,654 of 6,973
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but has anyone compared the mjolnir 2 and the much more expensive woo wa22? i intend to use any of these amps with an LCD 3 balanced mode . Money is not an issue. This will be an investment for many years to come. I just want the best pairing.

The wa22se is coming out soon and is a serious improvement over either of them. The prototype from July was the best amp I have ever heard. (BHSE aside.)

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,656 of 6,973
Has anyone tried the Mjolnir 2 with JJ88CC/6922 Gold tubes? Is the step-up from the stock tubes worth it?

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,659 of 6,973
Stock Tubes are just passable. Just about anything NOS will be an upgrade.

Call me crazy, but I actually like the stock tubes! But yeah, you're right that they're technically not that hard to beat. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #1,660 of 6,973
  Call me crazy, but I actually like the stock tubes! But yeah, you're right that they're technically not that hard to beat. Thanks!

I don't hate them, but hasn't Mike recommended better ones for like $5? Or is that Freya.

Oh, and new fact I just learned.

Me: What would happen if I put one LISST and one tube into my Mjolnir 2? Would it go boom? Would it void the warranty?
Schiit: It would simply have LISST in one channel and a tube in the other, may sound a bit odd.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,661 of 6,973

I don't hate them, but hasn't Mike recommended better ones for like $5? Or is that Freya.

Oh, and new fact I just learned.

Me: What would happen if I put one LISST and one tube into my Mjolnir 2? Would it go boom? Would it void the warranty?
Schiit: It would simply have LISST in one channel and a tube in the other, may sound a bit odd.

Haven't heard but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not saying they're amazing, it's just that nothing bothers me about them. But yeah, I'll probably go ahead and order a pair of JJ.

Makes sense as the Mjolnir 2 is fully balanced, so it's like having two mono amplifiers in the same box. It guess it could cause some weird crosstalk when using the SE output... Food for thoughts.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,665 of 6,973
  Sorry if this is a stupid question but does the Mjolnir 2 need a balanced signal from a DAC via XLR to output a balanced signal to the headphones?

From the manual:

4 Input Select.
Up selects the balanced XLR input, down selects the single-ended RCAs.
Yes, Mjolnir 2 is also a 2-input preamp and balanced-SE and SE-balanced converter.
Fun times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back