Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 19, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #826 of 6,943
They're fedexing the lisst and tubes and should be here later this week, but I admit it was disappointing. 

Of course it was, you were expecting great sound and got nothing at first. I am sure people at Schiit understand your disappointment. But in the end they are human too, one tends to forget since they make this cool innovative new stuff :)

I wish you loads of fun with your new Mjolnir! You'll be flying away with music soon :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #829 of 6,943
I hooked up my MJ2 ( with NOS Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes) to my Yggdrasil , to drive my ETHER, and it sounds so good. The Mjolnir 2's 8 Watts of power really makes the ETHER sound marvelous. From Zappa to Zepplin to Mozart, I was quite happy. The Mjolnir 2 might not have the magic of the Liquid Glass, or the lush transparent resolve of the Liquid Crimson, it still kicks ass. With the right tubes, bass on the Mjolnir 2 is great, it has good, deep impact, that keeps my bass monkey happy. The mids are smooth, with just a touch of grit, but still natural sounding. The highs are very nice sounding. My ears detected no annoying sybilance, that can fatigue me so much. The Mjolnir 2 is a great amp, especially f o r the money, it can hold its own against other amps.

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #830 of 6,943
Finally got the tubes/lisst. MJ2 with LISST is interesting, but even the stock tubes just blew me away. Coming from Vali, the difference is staggering. Unless I venture into electrostatics, this might be all the amp I need.

I'm listening to piano on MJ2 with my HD800s and my urge to get a new phone dedicated to piano has waned a bit. Still way too early to tell, but although it's perhaps not as focused a soundstage I would like for chamber music, it's much more compelling than Vali.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #831 of 6,943
  Finally got the tubes/lisst. MJ2 with LISST is interesting, but even the stock tubes just blew me away. Coming from Vali, the difference is staggering. Unless I venture into electrostatics, this might be all the amp I need.

I'm listening to piano on MJ2 with my HD800s and my urge to get a new phone dedicated to piano has waned a bit. Still way too early to tell, but although it's perhaps not as focused a soundstage I would like for chamber music, it's much more compelling than Vali.

Try Orange Globes or the 74/75 Reflektor tubes for a very nice experience! I really need to do more tube rolling and note each change but after trying a few I've got the 75 Reflektor SWSG in there without an urge to try something else. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #834 of 6,943
hey guys anyone tryed "6922 Siemens Halske gray shield NOS 1965"  how does it sound? i assume Airy, yet neutral mids? or? 

http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-best-6922-pair-1-6922-siemens-halske-gray-shield-nos-1965-a0-series-rebranded-rca-1-matched

was thinking about this one and Phlips pair for liquid mids + good bass and 3D where the "Siemens Halske " is for an airy fun dynamic sound (in case thats how does it sound)

http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/copy-of-e88cc-6922-philips-sq-holland-1971-best-pair-1

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #835 of 6,943
The world would reverse its orbit, and your amplifier would explode.

...But in all seriousness I think there are two possible outcomes from trying this (if you haven't already):

1. Everything operates normally with one channel assuming a solid state sound and the other a tube sound. In theory this would be pretty handy for doing an "instantaneous A/B", yet in practice I could see this causing some pretty serious headaches after extended listening.

2. As stated above you could have two channels with different sound signatures reflecting their upstream components but... the difference in voltage output from the two components may cause some damage to your amplifier, or more likely either the LISST or tubes could be damaged in the long run. I'm really only speculating here and I think option 1 is the more likely outcome but Jason would be able to tell you more definitively than I can.

If you end up trying it please post impressions.

Cheers

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #836 of 6,943
I've listened to my buddy  bigro's Vali, Valhalla and Vali 2 and a few different tube sets and I've always just been wowed with the sound.

While admiring the Mjolnir 2 tonight I seemed to have blacked out and the next thing I knew, I had an order number. I honestly have no idea what or how it happened!

One step closer to my end game setup. Now to save for gumby.

2-3 weeks backordered, which works in my favor really.

Mule 2 will be feed by bimby for now. I'm just excited to have my first tube amp.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #837 of 6,943
  I've listened to my buddy  bigro's Vali, Valhalla and Vali 2 and a few different tube sets and I've always just been wowed with the sound.

While admiring the Mjolnir 2 tonight I seemed to have blacked out and the next thing I knew, I had an order number. I honestly have no idea what or how it happened!

One step closer to my end game setup. Now to save for gumby.

2-3 weeks backordered, which works in my favor really.

Mule 2 will be feed by bimby for now. I'm just excited to have my first tube amp.

I feel for you lol!! In November I ordered the MJ 2 with lissts and tubes, in January I ordered the Gumby MB. Although it's painful to have to go through the burn-in period twice, it does allow you to appreciate what each piece has to offer individually and together as a whole. The sound quality produced from these 2 pieces of Schiit  is astonishing. This is a very seductive combination and very addictive. Have fun!!!!

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #839 of 6,943
How does this amp compare to wa6se?
Im thinking about getting this amp or the wa6se for my endgame setup in the future.

I had both.  I personally liked the MJ2 better.   All the detail was there with a little lushness of the tubes and loads of power.   Have a yggy coming and then I will own another mj2.  

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #840 of 6,943
$150 more, and you get balanced/single ended, tube/SS versatility? Best $150 you will ever spend. Even stock tube sound is stunning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back