Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #721 of 6,930
I am just using RCA cables. Not sure if Mojo would work.

You can run it balanced from a Mojo with RCA cables?

I was just envisioning plugging USB cable from my iMac to Mojo then line that out to a MJ2 via the 3.5 to RCA cable and run the whole chain single-ended, until I can gradually add the GMB and run the entire thing balanced. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #723 of 6,930
  As I already own Lyr 1 and LCDf 2.2's my query is simply , 
Is it seriously worth the extra $$ to get an MJ2  to upgrade from Lyr 1  or- is Woo WA6SE a better idea?
Anna

That's a totally apples vs oranges question.

Do you want a true fully balanced hybrid tube topology or a single ended triode topology?

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #724 of 6,930
^ And - for Anna's benefit - the differences in sound, advantages/disadvantages and cost/benefit considerations in your view are...?

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #725 of 6,930
^ And - for Anna's benefit - the differences in sound, advantages/disadvantages and cost/benefit considerations in your view are...?

I'm biased, as I chose the Mjolnir 2.  

That being said, a truly balanced topology is objectively superior to a single-ended one in matters of channel separation, crosstalk, and S/N ratio to a single-ended triode. The hybrid nature of the also MJ2 gives the option of having a lot of latitude to make the sound more 'tubey', while still retaining the benefits of a fully balanced design.

But there are people who who swear that nothing sounds as good as to their ears a single ended triode, despite all the downsides.  They do definitely sound distinct.  Whether one prefers that sound to all others is a matter of taste.

Whereas if I want to introduce more or less euphonia into the chain into the MJ2, I can put in the LISST for the most neutral option, put in a variety of tubes across a spectrum of flavors, or if I really want to get crazy, use DSP/plug-ins to simulate old vintage tubes in software.  

Single-ended triodes, on the other hand, lock one into a particular sound.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #727 of 6,930

Whereas if I want to introduce more or less euphonia into the chain into the MJ2, I can put in the LISST for the most neutral option, put in a variety of tubes across a spectrum of flavors, or if I really want to get crazy, use DSP/plug-ins to simulate old vintage tubes in software.  

I think simulating how tubes sound is a brilliant idea. I'm relatively new to this scene. I am wondering what playback software do you use? What dsp filter plug-ins would you use to do the filtering? And where can one find data on filter characteristics of different tubes?

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #728 of 6,930

I think simulating how tubes sound is a brilliant idea. I'm relatively new to this scene. I am wondering what playback software do you use? What dsp filter plug-ins would you use to do the filtering? And where can one find data on filter characteristics of different tubes?

United Audio makes a bunch of SoftTube plugins that emulate their classic recording chain tube gear and are modeled after transfer functions from them.  They work with any DAW software that is capable of running UA plug-ins.

Here is one example:

http://www.uaudio.com/store/equalizers/manley-massive-passive.html

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #730 of 6,930
  I've got 6 pairs of nos/nib e288cc ( telefunken and siemens ) from my dad. Is it safe to put them in Mjolnir 2 ? 

I wouldn't.  The E288CC has twice the heater current, higher anode current, and higher Gm than the 6DJ88 family.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #731 of 6,930
Well, I need to put in my 2 cents worth as I typically lurk aroung here to gain knowledge.

I got my new stack today. Gumby and a Mojo2. Moved up from a Bifrost/lyr2.

I'm 6 hours in running the new stack including a new set of Amperex 7308 tubes. (got allot of other glass that I built around the lyr)

Decided to move up as the mogo2 can run the tubes I have already.

A very simple term that should express my present thoughts. OMG

My HD650's, Maddogs, and even my M50's never made my music sound like this.

If all this stuff sound this way with a new set, I cannot imaging were it goes from here.

It's scarry...........

Just saying......

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #732 of 6,930
  Well, I need to put in my 2 cents worth as I typically lurk aroung here to gain knowledge.

I got my new stack today. Gumby and a Mojo2. Moved up from a Bifrost/lyr2.

I'm 6 hours in running the new stack including a new set of Amperex 7308 tubes. (got allot of other glass that I built around the lyr)

Decided to move up as the mogo2 can run the tubes I have already.

A very simple term that should express my present thoughts. OMG

My HD650's, Maddogs, and even my M50's never made my music sound like this.

If all this stuff sound this way with a new set, I cannot imaging were it goes from here.

It's scarry...........

Just saying......

Congrats.  Great gear.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #733 of 6,930
I'm curious whether anyone has A/B'd the K1000s on Mjolnir 2 and Ragnarok. The cans are notoriously power hungry, such that they were recommended for use with speaker amps, and I'm curious whether Mjolnir 2 is up to the challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back