Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 20, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #706 of 6,946
Who here uses their MJ2 as a pre-amp? I'm kinda curious how it would make my Krell amp and Dynaudios sound. 

Might be awesome, or it might be just a little excessive. Or extremely excessive.

Is the SQ the same for XLR or RCA pre-amp outs?

I use an MJ2 (and until recently a MJ) as pre to a Parasound Halo A23 driving the Nautilus 805's. I think it's an excellent combo, but even on low gain, I can't go past 12 o' clock on the pot, though it's admittedly a small room (15' x 14'). Also, the A23 is at 75% power, which is not recommended by Parasound (manual says to have it all the way up), but again that would leave me with very little play on the MJ2 pot.

Oh, and all connections are balanced. Source is a Mac mini to a Gungnir MB or sometimes a Marantz 8001 SACD.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #707 of 6,946
I just got my HD800's and the pairing of these with the Mj2 outstanding.  I think I actually like the HD800's touch more than my HE:6's I think its the soundstage and pin point imaging that's drawing my in.  I thought the bass was gonna be lacking but boy was I wrong the 800's are right there with the HE:6's maybe even a tough tighter.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #708 of 6,946
100+ hours of burn in on MJ2, 100+ on LCD2 F and 50+ on Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 1965 matched pair. Whew! Everything is really, really coming together. The MJ2 is one very fine amp: total control of bass, beautiful midrange and nice extended airy, sparkling highs. I only regret not purchasing the companion gungnir mb along with the MJ2. Now I have to go through this tedious process all over again. Patience is required. There were times when I wanted to stomp on the bugle boys, I'm glad I waited.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #709 of 6,946
Holy Schiit those 74 Reflektor SWGP tubes are fabulous, I picked up an slightly overpriced quad off eBay and they sound delicious. I just ordered a quad of 75 Reflektor SWGP on the strength of these. So far they blow away the Tele, Amperex O globes and PQs as well as the Siemens I have. While expensive for "Russian tubes" they are a steal compared to US, German and Holland tubes. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #710 of 6,946
I can't wait to get my miniDSP so I can start simulating vacuum tubes before I buy them.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #711 of 6,946
  Holy Schiit those 74 Reflektor SWGP tubes are fabulous, I picked up an slightly overpriced quad off eBay and they sound delicious. I just ordered a quad of 75 Reflektor SWGP on the strength of these. So far they blow away the Tele, Amperex O globes and PQs as well as the Siemens I have. While expensive for "Russian tubes" they are a steal compared to US, German and Holland tubes. 

Got em both.  I agree  
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #712 of 6,946
Could you please break this down? The terms "delicious", "fabulous" and "blow away" are all great but don't really tell us what is different about them! TIA :beerchug:

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #713 of 6,946
Could you please break this down? The terms "delicious", "fabulous" and "blow away" are all great but don't really tell us what is different about them! TIA
beerchug.gif

Here are some of my off the cuff  thoughts, after the new year I may do a something in greater detail. 

The Tele p88cc were good and very linear in sound but lacked a little in decay and depth, The Amperex PQs I have were better but not as tonaly rich as the Reflector 74s they also did not have the bass depth the Reflectors have as well, The Amprex Orange Globe A frames are excellent but again they had good tonality but not as rich as the Reflectors and my Siemens are really good maybe my favorite of the non-Russians but again the tonality is not as good and I find in every case there appears to be more detail from the reflectors. So yeah I was blown away by the fabulous and delicious tone these tubes produced! While I likely did pay an inflated eBay price for these (both the 74 and the 75) I am very happy with my choice, while parting with the other 6dj8 tubes in my stash would be foolish I easily could live happily ever after with the 74 reflektors and have high hopes for the 75s that are on their way. 

I would caution people that read these that these are the Reflekors that were in rb2013s shoot out, forgive me but I was highly skeptical of the placement of these tubes in the shoot out but to my ears they are winners. That said if you like a drier presentation you may not like these. I would encourage MJ2 owners that are trying several top tubes to try at least the 74 or the 75 reflectors. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #714 of 6,946

I just received my HG Reflektors '75 silver SWGP and Voskhod '75 gray sheilds from rb0002009 (Bob). This weekend I should be at the 100 hour burn-in for my bugle boys at which time I will begin the burn-in process for the Russians. Is audio nirvana just around the corner? Lol

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #715 of 6,946
I just received my HG Reflektors '75 silver SWGP and Voskhod '75 gray sheilds from rb0002009 (Bob). This weekend I should be at the 100 hour burn-in for my bugle boys at which time I will begin the burn-in process for the Russians. Is audio nirvana just around the corner? Lol

In a word, yes.  The '75 Reflektor HGs are my favorite tubes.  

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #717 of 6,946
  Did you find the 75's to be that much better than the 74's in your estimation? I am really curious to hear the differences between the two. 

Haven't heard the 74s.  You'll have to tell me.  I'm curious also, since they were significantly cheaper.  But rb2013 had a pair of 75 HGs that were perfectly matched by date and output levels, and 0 noise at any gain level, so I had to go for them.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #719 of 6,946
I am using Hugo to MJ2. No problem using balanced output!

How are you connecting that?

I'm looking to use Mojo into a MJ2, but all I have is a mundane 3.5 to RCA cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back