Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #511 of 6,930
  Thanks for the Info. The Tubes are already burnt in from previous use in my older amps, so should be fully good to go.  Yes Caps and other components have a time to bed in so will be putting some hours in with the Amp over the next few weeks.
 I have noticed that a lot of the midrange hardness is to do with other components outside the MJ2 as the midband is so revealing with the amp..  I changed the Stock Audeze balanced cable out for my preferred POCC silver plated one and that has improved the issue .Also I found with the LCDXC that changing the gain switch on different sources help to control the hardness as well but not sure why that is!!.
I have tried both my LCD-XC's and HD800's with the amp and its great with both and also with a few other low impedance phones and all were really good, So cracking on with putting some more hours in and feeling this amp will be my last one,  well for the time being LOL.

I am hearing inner detail on some tracks I've never heard before ,Like an artist swallowing between breaths when singing  ( Close miked)       well that's a bit special in my opinion !!!

Thanks again to RB and Shultzee

Good feedback.  One thing I noticed on my Lyr - it sounded best with at least 4 hours warm up.  This, I believe, is do to the Class 'A' MOSFET solid state devices - they sounded best toasty warm.  My class 'A' speaker amps are the same - they need even longer time to reach optimal.

During the hot summer months the warm up was less - 2 hrs or so on the Lyr.  The tubes warm up and stabilize after 10 minutes, so it's not the tubes.

So the same should apply to the MJ2 - run it toasty warm

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #512 of 6,930

Good feedback.  One thing I noticed on my Lyr - it sounded best with at least 4 hours warm up.  This, I believe, is do to the Class 'A' MOSFET solid state devices - they sounded best toasty warm.  My class 'A' speaker amps are the same - they need even longer time to reach optimal.

During the hot summer months the warm up was less - 2 hrs or so on the Lyr.  The tubes warm up and stabilize after 10 minutes, so it's not the tubes.

So the same should apply to the MJ2 - run it toasty warm

Hmmm I had posted this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778250/schiit-mjolnir-2-listening-impressions/360#post_11937482 sometime back on this thread and all I got was someone making fun of me :)

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #514 of 6,930
  Anyone else running a Resonessance Labs DAC into a Mjolnir 2?   I gotta say even through the single ended HP out its pretty cool.  Anxiously waiting for balanced cables.

Yes ,  I am running the Concero HD as dac to MJ 2.    Like it a lot.    

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #515 of 6,930
I have both the Concerto HP and HD,  I really like the match with the amp with the HD. Prefer the stock tubes over the Lisst,  Bought an Asgard to try it and it just wasn't up to par, Didn't want to dicker around so went right to Mjolnir.  So far i don't have  balanced cables for Nighthawks or Beyerdynamic HD 880 250 ohm.   So i'm really keen to try that as the single ended is not the same thing at all according to Schiit. 
Gotta say the 880's on this amp are super. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #516 of 6,930
Hey folks, I just bought the Mjolnir 2 and Gumby :) Looking at the tube threads. I don't have much experience with tubes and especially not the 6922. From what I've read it seems that this pair may be good: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/philips-miniwatt-sq-e88cc-6922-gold-pin-holland

Any advice? Any alternatives around the same price?

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #517 of 6,930
  Hey folks, I just bought the Mjolnir 2 and Gumby :) Looking at the tube threads. I don't have much experience with tubes and especially not the 6922. From what I've read it seems that this pair may be good: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/philips-miniwatt-sq-e88cc-6922-gold-pin-holland

Hey, looks like we're in the same boat - I recently got Gumby and Mjolnir2 and asked about those same tubes in another thread!

I was advised to look at E188CC as they are the higher quality version of E88CC. They can be found on ebay for cheaper than those E88CC's, though ebay has some risk of course. They can be marked with different brands but as long as they are from the Heerlen, Holland factory they will have the same sound. 

Anyway I decided to just go for it and bought some Valvo-branded 1969 Heerlen E188CC's for $130/pair. Will let you know how it works out when I get them.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #518 of 6,930

Any advice? Any alternatives around the same price?

Thanks!

I would read the descriptions of the various 6922's on upscale audio.  Good resource    http://www.upscaleaudio.com/6922/      

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #519 of 6,930
Hey, looks like we're in the same boat - I recently got Gumby and Mjolnir2 and asked about those same tubes in another thread!

I was advised to look at E188CC as they are the higher quality version of E88CC. They can be found on ebay for cheaper than those E88CC's, though ebay has some risk of course. They can be marked with different brands but as long as they are from the Heerlen, Holland factory they will have the same sound. 

Anyway I decided to just go for it and bought some Valvo-branded 1969 Heerlen E188CC's for $130/pair. Will let you know how it works out when I get them.

Oh, great. Thank you very much!

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #520 of 6,930
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #521 of 6,930

I would be just a little careful with some of the ebay sellers.   Some of them selling tubes really don't know what they even have.    You may pay a little more with dedicated tube sellers but for the most part they are legitimate.
Tub Depot, Tubeworld, and Upscale Audio are a few.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #522 of 6,930

While you're at it, also try out the iFi audio NOS6922 tube set and let us know your findings 
biggrin.gif

See http://www.head-fi.org/t/784809/ifi-nos6922-valve-tube-upgrade-set-new-product-announcement

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #523 of 6,930
  I would be just a little careful with some of the ebay sellers.   Some of them selling tubes really don't know what they even have.    You may pay a little more with dedicated tube sellers but for the most part they are legitimate.
Tub Depot, Tubeworld, and Upscale Audio are a few.

Yeah I hear you. In general I would happily pay a little more from a reputable dealer, but for the ones I wanted the cheapest I found was $350/pair. Although I see that tube world has used singles for $99 each (thanks for that mention, I hadn't seen tube world). 

One thing for ebay is I would only buy from sellers in North America or Western Europe. I've read a lot more reports of people getting bad tubes from Eastern Europe, and not sure I would trust Asia either. Anyway here's hoping I get good ones.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #524 of 6,930
  While you're at it, also try out the iFi audio NOS6922 tube set and let us know your findings 
biggrin.gif

See http://www.head-fi.org/t/784809/ifi-nos6922-valve-tube-upgrade-set-new-product-announcement

Great, an adapter to allow even more tubes to try. Don't tempt me, I'm trying not to get sucked too far down the rabbit hole... 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Actually it's not clear to me if this allows the use of any 5670 tube or only the ones that come with it.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #525 of 6,930
New owner here and a comment on burn in.

I got the M2 and some NOS Philips Mniwatts and on power up, sound was shifted to the low end. After about 20 hours, very neutral and resolving with the GMB. A great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back