Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 20, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,426 of 6,973
  I received the M2 yesterday and after about 5hrs of break in I'm already starting to really like what I'm hearing. My only negative points would be regarding the chassis' high resonance that is perceptible throught the headphones (I find that the problem seems to lessen as the chassis warms up) and the fact that the power switch is is the back. As far as sound goes, I'm very satisfied (considering I only have 5hres of break in)..

So far I've been using a Fiio X5 ii and a turntable as my sources, but I'd like to get a proper balanced DAC.

The Gungnir is over my budget for now, so I'd really appreciate if you could share your balanced DAC suggestions (below $500). I've been looking at the Teac UD-301, anyone has tried pairing it with the M2?

Thanks!

Congrats!
tongue.gif
 Save up if you can wait. I'm sure it will be more satisfying long term to have a nice stack of Schiit and knowing that you are getting a "meant to be" pairing. What headphones you are using to hear the chassis resonance? Also Is it audible only when like tapping/touching it or is it more like if you change your position or turn your head kind of thing? 
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,427 of 6,973
  Congrats!
tongue.gif
 Save up if you can wait. I'm sure it will be more satisfying long term to have a nice stack of Schiit and knowing that you are getting a "meant to be" pairing. What headphones you are using to hear the chassis resonance? Also Is it audible only when like tapping/touching it or is it more like if you change your position or turn your head kind of thing? 
confused_face_2.gif

Getting a used one was my intentention at first, but there isn't a lot of used Schiit in Montreal, but you're both right, I should probably just wait and save for a Gungnir...

I'm hearing resonance with both my Grado sr325 and my Beyer dt990 (hd650s and a balanced cable are my next purchases). At first, the cord hitting the shelve as I moved was enough, but as it warmed up it got much better and I really had to tap on the chassis to ear anything. I guess they have to save somewhere in order to produce such high-quality amps for such reasonable prices. However, I find that my Jolida's chassis feels much higher-end, and it's in a similar price range (I know they're made in China which explains the low price tag). Overall I'd say it's only a minor inconvenience

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,428 of 6,973
So sad, came home from work today and left channel is out. Swapped everything one by one, it's always out. SE or balanced in, SE or balanced out. Tubes swapped, problem is always on left side. So sad.

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,429 of 6,973
  So sad, came home from work today and left channel is out. Swapped everything one by one, it's always out. SE or balanced in, SE or balanced out. Tubes swapped, problem is always on left side. So sad.

Good thing there's a 5-year warranty! Have you tried the preamp outputs in the back? It might at least reduce the possibilities of where the problem comes from.

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,430 of 6,973
Super idea, will do.

EDIT: Problem is still there, preouts only work on right channel. I guess I box this up and wait for Schiit to email me. I wish I hadn't sold my Asgard 2 and my Lyr 2, or that I had bought a Jot. It's going to be a tough wait for this fix.

Nick got with me straight away, since it's not even a month old was very sympathetic.

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,431 of 6,973
  I received the M2 yesterday and after about 5hrs of break in I'm already starting to really like what I'm hearing. My only negative points would be regarding the chassis' high resonance that is perceptible throught the headphones (I find that the problem seems to lessen as the chassis warms up) and the fact that the power switch is is the back. As far as sound goes, I'm very satisfied (considering I only have 5hres of break in)..

That doesn't sound right to me. I have the MJ2 and I've never had that problem. What kind of sound is it? Both channels or one? Could be one of the tubes also. If you haven't already tried tapping each tube gently, you can try it to see if it produces a similar sound. Disappearance with warm-up would also be consistent with a tube issue.

I have each of the Schiit tube amps and I've never had any sort of chassis sound with any of them. Pending the tube check, might be a good idea to check with Schiit tech support.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,432 of 6,973

That doesn't sound right to me. I have the MJ2 and I've never had that problem. What kind of sound is it? Both channels or one? Could be one of the tubes also. If you haven't already tried tapping each tube gently, you can try it to see if it produces a similar sound. Disappearance with warm-up would also be consistent with a tube issue.

I have each of the Schiit tube amps and I've never had any sort of chassis sound with any of them. Pending the tube check, might be a good idea to check with Schiit tech support.

It seems like your right! I hear the sound when I tap the left channel tube, but not the right channel's. In hindsight, it does sound like a loose filament or something.

I'll email Schiit right away, thanks for your input, much appreciated!

Edit: just received some new tubes from Schiit and the problem is gone. Thanks again rnros!

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,434 of 6,973
"get gumby or save to yggy" has to be one of the biggest dilemmas in high end audio...but right now i'm curious how good MJ2 is at sensitive, near-field speakers. I don't have any, but I'm tempted.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,435 of 6,973
  "get gumby or save to yggy" has to be one of the biggest dilemmas in high end audio...but right now i'm curious how good MJ2 is at sensitive, near-field speakers. I don't have any, but I'm tempted.

Do you mean as a pre-amp?
Please give an example, I am likely wanting higher end speakers for my desk area for Christmas.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,439 of 6,973

I run Gumby and MJ2 with a pair of JBL LSR305s and the rig is amazing!

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #1,440 of 6,973
I run Gumby and MJ2 with a pair of JBL LSR305s and the rig is amazing!

I'm using a similar rig (Yamaha HS8's). Are you turning the MJ2 off when not in use? Do you also turn the JBL's off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back