Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,442 of 6,973
I run Gumby and MJ2 with a pair of JBL LSR305s and the rig is amazing!

I have my 305s just sitting there with nothing to power them at the moment lol. Almost never used them anyway due to harshness from my DacMagic+ which I sold saving for an MJ2. Maybe finally with the MJ2 and nice tubes they will get more use. Then again so will my headphones lol...

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,443 of 6,973
I run Gumby and MJ2 with a pair of JBL LSR305s and the rig is amazing!

+1

I have a Bimby + MJ2 + LSR305 combo, absolutely fantastic. The LSR305's are an absurd value for the money; I previously owned a $1400 pair of Dynaudio monitors, the 305's are better (albeit less "hi-fi sounding, no midbass bloom or smoothed treble like the Dynaudio) :)

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,444 of 6,973
K3003i comes later this week; they're my first IEM pairing with MJ2. We'll see whether they prefer tubes or LISST. And how the noise floor is. Footnote, where is LISST? I haven't seen them on the website for months.

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #1,445 of 6,973
  K3003i comes later this week; they're my first IEM pairing with MJ2. We'll see whether they prefer tubes or LISST. And how the noise floor is. Footnote, where is LISST? I haven't seen them on the website for months.

I emailed them last week and they said they shoudl be back in stock in a couple of weeks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,447 of 6,973
  Has anyone got any experience/impressions of MJ2 with Ether C Flow?

Give me a few weeks and I will...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - I've heard they are an excellent pairing.  I'm looking forward to rolling tubes and tweaking the sound to where I like it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #1,448 of 6,973
  Give me a few weeks and I will...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - I've heard they are an excellent pairing.  I'm looking forward to rolling tubes and tweaking the sound to where I like it.

I look forward to it. Been thinking about the two for a while, always had in my mind that MJ2 would be next amp and Ether C's, now C flows would be my next pairing

Haven't tried any tube amps yet, so looking forward to being able to hopefully try them out soon

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,449 of 6,973
  I look forward to it. Been thinking about the two for a while, always had in my mind that MJ2 would be next amp and Ether C's, now C flows would be my next pairing

Haven't tried any tube amps yet, so looking forward to being able to hopefully try them out soon

I lucked out on a good deal for the MJ2 and some tubes, plus I have quite a few from when I owned the Lyr and Lyr 2.  I'm in the process of moving now but I should have my hands on the amp in a week or so.
Tube rolling is fun since you have so many ways to tweak the sound based on the tube manufacturer, tube family (6922, 7308, E188CC, etc.), even date of manufacture (NOS vs new).  Be care careful though, I can get out of control and ridiculously expensive! 
wink_face.gif
  Two things I would recommend: a set of "socket saver" adapters that will raise the tubes high enough to swap easily and two, the patience to let the tubes burn in and open up before trying a different set.
Lastly, you might want to consider some tube dampers to reduce some of the microphonics that tubes can have.  PM me and I can provide suggestions for the dampers and socket savers.

All this is IMHO and YMMV!  But really, it can be fun and rewarding!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #1,450 of 6,973
Same here. First time getting to know tubes and grabbed some Amperex and Siemens tubes. Getting the MJ2 in December and read some good things about the pairing with Ether C. I still wonder how much behind the LISST would be compared to a Rag. Worried a little because some say it's 2 dimensional and little weird mids. Rag is out of my budget though so hmm.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,452 of 6,973
  I lucked out on a good deal for the MJ2 and some tubes, plus I have quite a few from when I owned the Lyr and Lyr 2.  I'm in the process of moving now but I should have my hands on the amp in a week or so.
Tube rolling is fun since you have so many ways to tweak the sound based on the tube manufacturer, tube family (6922, 7308, E188CC, etc.), even date of manufacture (NOS vs new).  Be care careful though, I can get out of control and ridiculously expensive! 
wink_face.gif
  Two things I would recommend: a set of "socket saver" adapters that will raise the tubes high enough to swap easily and two, the patience to let the tubes burn in and open up before trying a different set.
Lastly, you might want to consider some tube dampers to reduce some of the microphonics that tubes can have.  PM me and I can provide suggestions for the dampers and socket savers.

All this is IMHO and YMMV!  But really, it can be fun and rewarding!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yea I like the idea with tubes where you can go through different tubes to find the sound you're after. Definitely seems like a dangerous game to get into for the wallet though, feel a lot of money could be spent on trying to find "the perfect" tube. Both seem like good ideas, especially socket saver, will send pm shortly. Thanks for all the help, I like to research and know what I'm getting into before buying something.

Same here. First time getting to know tubes and grabbed some Amperex and Siemens tubes. Getting the MJ2 in December and read some good things about the pairing with Ether C. I still wonder how much behind the LISST would be compared to a Rag. Worried a little because some say it's 2 dimensional and little weird mids. Rag is out of my budget though so hmm.

I'm keen to try out LISST as well, looked at the Rag but has more than what I need tbh, don't need the amp function for speakers and like the idea of tubes on the MJ2 but like you curious as to how the two compare

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,453 of 6,973
  Yea I like the idea with tubes where you can go through different tubes to find the sound you're after. Definitely seems like a dangerous game to get into for the wallet though, feel a lot of money could be spent on trying to find "the perfect" tube. Both seem like good ideas, especially socket saver, will send pm shortly. Thanks for all the help, I like to research and know what I'm getting into before buying something.

I'm keen to try out LISST as well, looked at the Rag but has more than what I need tbh, don't need the amp function for speakers and like the idea of tubes on the MJ2 but like you curious as to how the two compare

Btw: https://mrspeakers.com/shop/2-electronics/mjolnir-2/
They seem to praise it for the Ether headphones and use it to voice them which is cool. They don't seem to sell the Rag which has me thinking the MJ2 is probably what they prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back