Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 20, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #1,396 of 6,973

Glad to hear you are enjoying them. Helps me to believe I actually am sane, well almost. :)
REFL 6N3P-E has become my favorite tube in the MJ2. Plus... It stopped me from buying all those $300+ tube sets! LOL.

wat. 
http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=176 These? I thought tubes are expensive.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #1,398 of 6,973
  wat. 
http://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=176 These? I thought tubes are expensive.

Yes, Reflector 6N3P-E. Great tube. But trust your own ears. Enjoy. As noted by tjl5709, adapter required.
If you need more info on tube or adapter you can search back in this thread, or my own post list.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,399 of 6,973
Thanks both 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,400 of 6,973
One of my concern about the design of the Mjolnir 2 is the vents on the surface. I am a bit worry about dust going into the Mjolnir 2 unit through those vents and may eventually cause problems or short circuit. Is there any way to clean or remove dust if there are significant amount build up inside?

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,401 of 6,973
  One of my concern about the design of the Mjolnir 2 is the vents on the surface. I am a bit worry about dust going into the Mjolnir 2 unit through those vents and may eventually cause problems or short circuit. Is there any way to clean or remove dust if there are significant amount build up inside?

I think you can occaisionally blow it out with some air duts blower (when it's cool and off). That said, when I'm not using the amp for a while, I place a microfiber cloth over it. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,402 of 6,973

Unless you live in an exceptionally dust ridden environment I wouldn't be too concerned. An occasional once over the screen area with a handheld vac seems adequate to me. I lay a Glad sandwich bag over the area when I'm going away for a week or more. Of course don't turn it on without removing it, or put it on too soon after turning it off.

One other suggestion, I don't smoke or allow smoking in my home, but a friend of mine does at his home. All you need look at is windows to see what kind of film is most likely building up on every surface and into every nook and cranny in the place. That smoke film can become tacky over time especially with humidity and then dust and grime might not just get into but stick as well.

I found a company that will fabricate a pair (minimum order of 2 - $50.00 the pair) of  rectangular Lucite covers of just the right size for the grate area and figured I'd place some soft felt stick-on discs on the open side to protect the metal finish. Seemed like nice aesthetic solution. What could go wrong? Then I thought, hmmm, what if something knock against that plastic cover and shears the tops off my matched, chilled, and blessed $300.00 the pair Telefunkens!!!

Glad sandwich bags work great!

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,403 of 6,973
That seems like trouble waiting to happen

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,404 of 6,973
Lyr 2 owner getting a Mjolnir 2 today. 
Looking at the specs, one thing seems really odd. The Lyr 2 is twice as powerful when driving SE. Does that make it a better SE amp?

I am getting the MJ2 to run Balanced from Yggy to LCD-3 but I also use closed cans that are SE late at night. I guess it doesn't really matter as all the other specs show MJ2 to be quieter, etc. So it probably is a better amp for SE but just wanted to throw this out there and see where it lands.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,405 of 6,973
  Lyr 2 owner getting a Mjolnir 2 today. 
Looking at the specs, one thing seems really odd. The Lyr 2 is twice as powerful when driving SE. Does that make it a better SE amp?

I am getting the MJ2 to run Balanced from Yggy to LCD-3 but I also use closed cans that are SE late at night. I guess it doesn't really matter as all the other specs show MJ2 to be quieter, etc. So it probably is a better amp for SE but just wanted to throw this out there and see where it lands.

Yes, MJ2-SE>LYR2. With good tubes of course.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,406 of 6,973
Dayum this sounds good with some Count Basie, "Moten Swing" from The Golden Years or some Count Basie with Bill Hughes "In a Mellow Tone", the trombone leaps out at you!

I can't wait for balanced cables to arrive!!!

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,407 of 6,973
I find that a good HEPA air filter does wonders both for my allergies and my equipment. There are little plug-in ones but i got a floor standing one on amazon for $90. Great investment.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #1,408 of 6,973
Just changed from SE (in & out) to balanced (in & out) from Yggie to MJ2 to LCD-3.
The noise floor seemed lower (is that possible?) when set to normal listening levels. Then I paused the source, turned the knob all the way, nothing.
Then switched the gain to 8X, same thing, NOTHING. I had noticed a fair bit of odd rhythmic almost noise when doing the same at the highest levels of high gain.
I know you can't judge anything by this test but...it is clearly better to use this Schiit properly, the way it was designed, balanced.

Ok, now for the sound impressions, more ethereal, more spacious, more euphonic. I am all in on balanced, and MJ2 >> Lyr 2.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,409 of 6,973
  Just changed from SE (in & out) to balanced (in & out) from Yggie to MJ2 to LCD-3.
The noise floor seemed lower (is that possible?) 

Positively. Balanced includes something called common mode noise rejection, built in, along with 4x the power versus single-ended. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,410 of 6,973

Positively. Balanced includes something called common mode noise rejection, built in, along with 4x the power versus single-ended. 

Plus 2x power out of Yggy 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back