Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,381 of 6,973

I'm so glad you are on this thread. You've done more to help me understand and jump into tube rolling than anyone else.

I got my tubes today! Still waiting on the adapter. Perhaps it will be here when I return from Minneapolis next week and I'll have something to play with.

Thanks again!

I live in Minneapolis and have an extra set of adapters...

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,382 of 6,973

I live in Minneapolis and have an extra set of adapters...

Holy crap, you're kidding! I fly in Sunday morning (yeah, 9/11, fun). Staying at the hotel at Mall of America. Any advise on breweries and food? I'm hoping to at least get to Surley I've heard good things. If nothing else, I'll get a six pack of something not available in Tennessee and share with my co-workers. Who knows when I'll get another chance to go this far from home!

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,383 of 6,973
Funny that, I thought I was the only one flying on 9/11, but to Milwaukee. Hope it's cooled down out on the Lakes, been dying from the heat here on the Delaware River.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,384 of 6,973
  Funny that, I thought I was the only one flying on 9/11, but to Milwaukee. Hope it's cooled down out on the Lakes, been dying from the heat here on the Delaware River.

First, safe journey, I'll be thinking of you. (please so the same, for me)

Second, omg it's been so miserable in east TN this summer. I mean, we get hot here, mid 90's upper 80's are common, but normally, we get breaks from the heat on a regular basis and it's not months and months of 90+ temperatures.

I checked the weather and it's like 20 degrees cooler there. I'm sure glad I'm not going in the winter because I'm southern born and bred and I'm pretty sure that not only me, but my offspring would freeze to death!

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,385 of 6,973
In my younger days I would go out every February to snow mobile with my brother who lives out there, (spring, summer, and early fall trips are for walleye and salmon fishing). Now that I'm older I still like winter (favorite time of year for music listening and football) but from the comfort of my living room recliner!

Have a safe one.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,387 of 6,973
According to @reddog, the former would be the more desirable combination.  I suppose if you were less picky about your source, and wanted the added transducer driving capabilities that the Ragnarok offers, that could also work out quite well.  I've never heard the Yggy, but I did have the Gungnir Multibit for a while, even paired up with the Rag for about a week at the end (funds are low, had to part with some Schiit for now), and it was damn fine.  As soon as I'm able to though, I'm planning on going the Yggy > MJ2 route.  There's a good chance my eventual MJ2 will double as a preamp into a forthcoming 'pivot point' Schiit power amp.

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,388 of 6,973

I'm so glad you are on this thread. You've done more to help me understand and jump into tube rolling than anyone else.

I got my tubes today! Still waiting on the adapter. Perhaps it will be here when I return from Minneapolis next week and I'll have something to play with.

Thanks again!

Glad the information was helpful! You are very welcome. Enjoy your trip, and your tubes when you return. Traveling North is a good idea for those of us who have been dealing with temps in the mid 90s. Safe trip.

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,389 of 6,973
  I'm sure we've answered this before but I wonder: is there a preference for MJ2/Yggy vs. Rag/Gumby?

I'd definitely go for MJ2 + Yggdrasil - I love tubes and the Mjolnir is extremely versatile given its ability to go full solid state if one would want to do so, matching headphones and source(s) becomes so much easier with a device like that, I love the MJ2 very dearly. Plus, only speakers I own are Devialet Phantoms which are self-sufficient so Ragnarok's capabilities are not necessary.

That said, I also feel there'll be more of a change/you'll achieve a broader area if you swap between amps (hybrid, OTLs, solid state, tube rolling in general, etc) than you will sources, once you get a good DAC like the Yggdrasil I doubt you'd really feel the itch to buy a bunch of other 2k+ DACs to play around with - I wouldn't at least, maybe that's just me.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,390 of 6,973

I'd definitely go for MJ2 + Yggdrasil - I love tubes and the Mjolnir is extremely versatile given its ability to go full solid state if one would want to do so, matching headphones and source(s) becomes so much easier with a device like that, I love the MJ2 very dearly. Plus, only speakers I own are Devialet Phantoms which are self-sufficient so Ragnarok's capabilities are not necessary.

That said, I also feel there'll be more of a change/you'll achieve a broader area if you swap between amps (hybrid, OTLs, solid state, tube rolling in general, etc) than you will sources, once you get a good DAC like the Yggdrasil I doubt you'd really feel the itch to buy a bunch of other 2k+ DACs to play around with - I wouldn't at least, maybe that's just me.

I think you have the right idea. Rag and Jotunheim both speak to a desire for as few boxes as possible, but I have and like MJ2, even as I realize it's nowhere near WA5 in terms of SQ. I'd sooner get a power amp when I'm ready for speakers and keep headphone needs separate.

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,391 of 6,973
I think you have the right idea. Rag and Jotunheim both speak to a desire for as few boxes as possible, but I have and like MJ2, even as I realize it's nowhere near WA5 in terms of SQ. I'd sooner get a power amp when I'm ready for speakers and keep headphone needs separate.

Indeed, I imagine the WA5 is on a league of its own but I own the WA7 myself and the sound signature's between Woo and Schiit are relatively distinctive - probably hard to evaluate how the MJ2 pairs up against Woo's 5 that taken into consideration.

I prefer to keep needs separate, if my speakers needed a power amp I'd rather buy one later on rather than try and get something like the Jotun/Rag and have it do both. That said I do have a Jotunheim on order because I feel it'll be a fantastic device regardless of whether or not I'll ever use the pre-amp functionality.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,392 of 6,973
Welp. I guess I'll start saving up for a Mjolnir 2 for christmas to pair with my Chord Mojo and Ether C 1.1 until I can afford a Gungnir Multibit.
Those spheres on Mojo are a little annoying in a desktop setup since they are so small to press and the unit moves around whenever there's pulling on the cables.

Oh also tubes seem cool... or "warm" AHAHDSFSDIHS 
redface.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,394 of 6,973

Glad the information was helpful! You are very welcome. Enjoy your trip, and your tubes when you return. Traveling North is a good idea for those of us who have been dealing with temps in the mid 90s. Safe trip.

So I know I wasn't part of the original commenting, but I basically followed all your advice and got myself a set of the Russian tubes. Good advice man. I love them. I have the stock tubes, gold lion E88CC, and Telefunken E88CC tubes. These all came with the M2 that I got used, and I had fun swapping between the three sets, but I think my swapping may slow down because these Russian tubes are so warm and cozy. Like you said on the quiter side, but I still have the entire high gain switch to flip still, so lots of headroom on volume. I am very glad I ran into your comments. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,395 of 6,973

So I know I wasn't part of the original commenting, but I basically followed all your advice and got myself a set of the Russian tubes. Good advice man. I love them. I have the stock tubes, gold lion E88CC, and Telefunken E88CC tubes. These all came with the M2 that I got used, and I had fun swapping between the three sets, but I think my swapping may slow down because these Russian tubes are so warm and cozy. Like you said on the quiter side, but I still have the entire high gain switch to flip still, so lots of headroom on volume. I am very glad I ran into your comments. Thanks!

Glad to hear you are enjoying them. Helps me to believe I actually am sane, well almost. :)
REFL 6N3P-E has become my favorite tube in the MJ2. Plus... It stopped me from buying all those $300+ tube sets! LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back