Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 12, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #6,421 of 6,973
Good stuff! I have been digging those old Brimar ECC82 Square Getters as well! I pulled one out of my stash the other day that I got from @TK16 a couple of years ago, and to my surprise it's been a killer tube in my Pendant, with a very immersive and holographic stage and vocals to die for. Long live Footscray Brimars!
…and those ECC82 SGs have new life with the SR Purple…finally are showing their full capabilities…

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #6,422 of 6,973
Anyone have an experience of an old tube cracking / blowing?

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #6,423 of 6,973
Anyone have an experience of an old tube cracking / blowing?
I've had one with a bunch of tiny cracks at the bottom. Killed my Mjolnir 2 - had to send it into Schiit to get repaired. Be careful!

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #6,424 of 6,973
…and those ECC82 SGs have new life with the SR Purple…finally are showing their full capabilities…
The SR Purple shocked me that it improved the sound as much as it did. So much more clarity. I gotta give Wes the credit for the recommenation.

On another note, The Sylvania 12AT7 (not WA) E version (military I think) triple mica black plate square getter is winning over everything else.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #6,425 of 6,973
I've had one with a bunch of tiny cracks at the bottom. Killed my Mjolnir 2 - had to send it into Schiit to get repaired. Be careful!

actually happened while a technician was working on it, said he turned it on and a tube 'cracked from heat and the top fell off'. It was an old stock schiit russian tube (didnt send in the good stuff) but just shocked those things just....happen, apparently?

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #6,426 of 6,973
actually happened while a technician was working on it, said he turned it on and a tube 'cracked from heat and the top fell off'. It was an old stock schiit russian tube (didnt send in the good stuff) but just shocked those things just....happen, apparently?
I had a Russian 6N6P and an RFT ECC82 crack while burning in.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #6,427 of 6,973
This info it is from MJ2 manual
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel
Has Schiit clarified if these ratings are for balanced, or single ended?
I’ve searched and can’t find any data on the single ended output. I’d like to see the full specs.

I just got a MJ2 yesterday and am shocked at how good it is.
All of my headphone cables are single ended, and MJ2 low gain has plenty of juice. I haven’t gone past 9 o’clock on the volume dial!

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #6,428 of 6,973
I’ve searched and can’t find any data on the single ended output. I’d like to see the full specs.

All of my headphone cables are single ended, and MJ2 low gain has plenty of juice. I haven’t gone past 9 o’clock on the volume dial!
I believe those are balanced specs.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #6,429 of 6,973

Find yourself a cheap balanced cable for one of your HP's and try balanced..............just saying...........

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,430 of 6,973

The Mjolnir II is designed as fully balanced. You should get the XLR-terminated balanced h/p cables to take full advantage of what MJ2 offers. Besides, would Thor wield a massive unbalanced hammer?…🤔🤣🤣

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #6,431 of 6,973
The Mjolnir II is designed as fully balanced. You should get the XLR-terminated balanced h/p cables to take full advantage of what MJ2 offers. Besides, would Thor wield a massive unbalanced hammer?…🤔🤣🤣
Yep, I have a stock ZMF balanced cable and am aware of the differences between SE & balanced :)
The problem is my recliners and couch are 12' from the amp, so I need to get a balanced extension cable.

I'll probably sell my iFi iCan Pro Signature amp now that I have the MJ2. Its that damn good! That would free up cash for new cables. And tubes.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #6,432 of 6,973
Yep, I have a stock ZMF balanced cable and am aware of the differences between SE & balanced :)
The problem is my recliners and couch are 12' from the amp, so I need to get a balanced extension cable.

I'll probably sell my iFi iCan Pro Signature amp now that I have the MJ2. Its that damn good! That would free up cash for new cables. And tubes.
Welcome to the club! I'll save you some money and aggravation bro.

Grab a pair of these first.
https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china

Then grab a pair of these.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/12at7-cv455-kb-fb-brimar-rare-triple-mica-1956-nos-valve-tube/

You're at the top of the mountain tube wise. After that it's flavor shopping. The CV455 is an elite tube.

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,434 of 6,973
Then in a few months if you still love your MJ2. There's another thing you can do to take it to end game territory. The Cap Mod. Lol

Sent another modded MJ2 out the other day. Should be landing at its owners home tomorrow!!!

Hard to let them go once they have burned it in a bit withsome 7730s!

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #6,435 of 6,973
Sent another modded MJ2 out the other day. Should be landing at its owners home tomorrow!!!

Hard to let them go once they have burned it in a bit withsome 7730s!
That's awesome you still have them 7730's lol. Good to see you Keith. I'm sure he's gonna love the mod. I'm waiting for his pm after he gives it a whirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back