Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 5, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #6,391 of 6,942
Spanish wine in the morning?

That's a way to start a Sunday!
Flavors...

I generally start my day around 0200 local, to leverage a quiet house for meditation and music, with a light breakfast and a big cup of Tibetan style butter tea.

A little wine around sunrise is a happy thing. Like a tequila sunrise with clothes on.

Coffee later, these days a real nice Snake Eater bourbon barrel roast, sometimes with a t of demerara & a dollop of half&half.

Second breakfast, lunch, siesta, more music, more wine... lots of flavors. 😁

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #6,393 of 6,942
Again late to the party, now warming up some new/NOS Brimar Footscray CV491 D-getters from Langrex, having learned from 5814a's that I do appreciate the more relaxed gain structure of the 12AU7 class.

Both sweet and quiet, I leave them on hi-gain even with my Grados, leaving plenty of headroom even for wild swings like John Kaizan's breathy shakuhachi.

This morning, pairing well with a fine, figgy Torre Isilo tempranillo. 😋🤗😁
Heck yeah! Glad I got 3 pairs of those CV491 Footscray D Getters from Langrex before they sold out, as they have become my number 1 tube, and the only one I use these days. Talk about magical mids and especially the vocals. The vocals are hands down the best I have heard with a tube, and then there is the bass and it's powerful, tight, and impactful. The detail is top botch, and nothing ever feels forced or artificial. I have been quiet about this tube hoping to secure some backups (of which I finally have) and it appears I was not alone.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #6,394 of 6,942
Heck yeah! Glad I got 3 pairs of those CV491 Footscray D Getters from Langrex before they sold out, as they have become my number 1 tube, and the only one I use these days. Talk about magical mids and especially the vocals. The vocals are hands down the best I have heard with a tube, and then there is the bass and it's powerful, tight, and impactful. The detail is top botch, and nothing ever feels forced or artificial. I have been quiet about this tube hoping to secure some backups (of which I finally have) and it appears I was not alone.
It really is a very sweet bottle, maybe the most balanced I've found for MJ2, although I do like those 5814a's.

Still evaluating the Mullard E180cc's in VH2, but happy so far.

The CV455's & CV4033's, particularly the Footscrays, still work well for me in both amps. And the RFT's, and various Raytheons, and...

Rotationation. 😁

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #6,395 of 6,942
It really is a very sweet bottle, maybe the most balanced I've found for MJ2, although I do like those 5814a's.

Still evaluating the Mullard E180cc's in VH2, but happy so far.

The CV455's & CV4033's, particularly the Footscrays, still work well for me in both amps. And the RFT's, and various Raytheons, and...

Rotationation. 😁
Sweet is a good way to put it, and balanced to perfection.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #6,396 of 6,942
Sweet is a good way to put it, and balanced to perfection.
Wes or G0rt can you guys post a pic of the CV491's you're using? Think I might look for a pair of those.

Lately I'm on these Sylvania 12AT7WA black plate (or gray) triple mica square getters. The clarity is the best I've heard. Tight bass, pretty smooth mids.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #6,397 of 6,942
Wes or G0rt can you guys post a pic of the CV491's you're using? Think I might look for a pair of those.

Lately I'm on these Sylvania 12AT7WA black plate (or gray) triple mica square getters. The clarity is the best I've heard. Tight bass, pretty smooth mids.
Langrex has them listed as sold out unfortunately, and that's the only place I have seen this specific version. This version has a very unique looking D Getter, that I have not seen on any other Brimar CV491 tubes. Perhaps it might be worth it to reach out to Langrex to see if they have anymore.

Here is the only pic I have at the moment.

Screenshot_20211206-083301_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #6,398 of 6,942
Langrex has them listed as sold out unfortunately, and that's the only place I have seen this specific version. This version has a very unique looking D Getter, that I have not seen on any other Brimar CV491 tubes. Perhaps it might be worth it to reach out to Langrex to see if they have anymore.

Here is the only pic I have at the moment.

Screenshot_20211206-083301_Chrome.jpg
Gotcha - thanks!!

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #6,399 of 6,942
Brimar CV4034 is also a great 12au7 tube for the MJ2. Right now I am comparing between the 12au7 (CV4034) and 12at7 Cv455 Brimars.

The 12au7 sounds sweeter with great high end extension and gooey mids. The 12at7 has a overall warmer tone with deep bass and heavenly vocals. At this point, I am leaning more towards the 12at7 because I need my MJ2 to sound bassy because i run my He1000se exclusively with the MJ2 and it sounds much fuller in the mids with the 12at7 tubes.

PS. Both of these tubes were recommended me by WEsS and Sam (Guidostrunk)

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #6,400 of 6,942
Brimar CV4034 is also a great 12au7 tube for the MJ2. Right now I am comparing between the 12au7 (CV4034) and 12at7 Cv455 Brimars.

The 12au7 sounds sweeter with great high end extension and gooey mids. The 12at7 has a overall warmer tone with deep bass and heavenly vocals. At this point, I am leaning more towards the 12at7 because I need my MJ2 to sound bassy because i run my He1000se exclusively with the MJ2 and it sounds much fuller in the mids with the 12at7 tubes.

Do you also use EQ?

I get so frustrated trying to reconcile EQ and tubes.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #6,401 of 6,942
Do you also use EQ?

I get so frustrated trying to reconcile EQ and tubes.
I do not eq. I let the tubes alter the sound and the hp takes care of the rest

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #6,402 of 6,942

Your PS =/= BS when it comes to WS + GS !!!

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #6,403 of 6,942
'Tis the season to be ... fiddling about. 🙂

I finally got a round tuit, and asked @Deyan to fabricate my favorite fantasy tube adapter for Mjolnir2: 6SN7 to 6922, with a separate umbilical just for the filaments. Filumbilicus?

No idea how long shipping might take at this time of year. I went series connected, just to control the overall current draw, but parallel filaments should work fine, too.

At least initially, I'll be using a simple Korad linear bench supply for the 12.6 volt series string, in constant current mode for 600 mA.

I measured my un-matched Footscray CV1988's last night with my Fluke, and the cold filaments are about 2.3/2.4 ohms, needing over 2.5 amps at 6.3 volts.

I theorized the Korad would reduce the voltage to ~1.5 volts and then raise it as the filaments reached operating temperature.

This morning, I lit each tube individually and everything behaved as expected, taking some 30 seconds to stabilize, a nice soft start.

Deyan's adapter will be usable with MJ2, VH2, even Lyr3 with a jumper in the 2nd socket, and put 6SN7, 8SN7, 12SN7 or anything adaptable to ?SN7 within reach.

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy 😁

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #6,404 of 6,942
'Tis the season to be ... fiddling about. 🙂

I finally got a round tuit, and asked @Deyan to fabricate my favorite fantasy tube adapter for Mjolnir2: 6SN7 to 6922, with a separate umbilical just for the filaments. Filumbilicus?

No idea how long shipping might take at this time of year. I went series connected, just to control the overall current draw, but parallel filaments should work fine, too.

At least initially, I'll be using a simple Korad linear bench supply for the 12.6 volt series string, in constant current mode for 600 mA.

I measured my un-matched Footscray CV1988's last night with my Fluke, and the cold filaments are about 2.3/2.4 ohms, needing over 2.5 amps at 6.3 volts.

I theorized the Korad would reduce the voltage to ~1.5 volts and then raise it as the filaments reached operating temperature.

This morning, I lit each tube individually and everything behaved as expected, taking some 30 seconds to stabilize, a nice soft start.

Deyan's adapter will be usable with MJ2, VH2, even Lyr3 with a jumper in the 2nd socket, and put 6SN7, 8SN7, 12SN7 or anything adaptable to ?SN7 within reach.

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy 😁
Hmmm. I'm really curious to see how this works out bro. I love the cv1988 and if I can run it in the MJ2 that would be incredible! Please keep the thread updated. I'll be pm'ing you regarding the adapter and what to exactly get. Lol

Dec 18, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #6,405 of 6,942
Hmmm. I'm really curious to see how this works out bro. I love the cv1988 and if I can run it in the MJ2 that would be incredible! Please keep the thread updated. I'll be pm'ing you regarding the adapter and what to exactly get. Lol
I absolutely will.

I've got some fiddly bits due next week, and I'll be making 2-tube measurements when I don't have things so haywired.

Since I elected to use constant current mode, I'm not very concerned about different voltage drops, but I am curious.

Pared to essentials, you could get by with just an AC filament transformer, but clean DC and soft start do offer advantages, if you have a lab supply kicking about.

The adapter itself was due to ship yesterday, so it might even arrive this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back