Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #6,451 of 6,943
…and?…
Literally too much beer to write a detailed impression at the moment lol. I was at work all day and am on call all night. But I was able to listen to it for an hour after work today and I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made in my hifi journey. I ll post my full impression sometimes tomorrow.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #6,452 of 6,943
Literally too much beer to write a detailed impression at the moment lol. I was at work all day and am on call all night. But I was able to listen to it for an hour after work today and I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made in my hifi journey. I ll post my full impression sometimes tomorrow.
…if I can remember what I heard…

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #6,453 of 6,943
Do any sites in the US carry 12AXX to ECC88 adapters? Everything I've found ships from China, and I don't want a long wait...

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #6,454 of 6,943
Do any sites in the US carry 12AXX to ECC88 adapters? Everything I've found ships from China, and I don't want a long wait...
The best ones come from Pulse Tube Store, located in India. A number of contributors to this thread, including me, have used PTS frequently. Sanjiv M., the proprietor/engineer is a stand-up fellow with whom to do business!

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #6,456 of 6,943
That's awesome bro! Can't wait to hear the final word. Lol

Jan 24, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #6,458 of 6,943
Hi All! Been lurking here for a little while now, just acquired a Mjolner 2 with a few tubes off of US Audio Mart, hopefully be in by the end of the week. I already have a Gumby multibit w/USB 5th gen, and a set of ZMF Verite's w/a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. I'm only streaming Amazon HD from my computer over USB. So, I hope you might answer a few questions.

The Mjolner came from here: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649818190-schiit-mjolnir-2-balanced-tube-amp-w3-sets-of-tubes/

and includes some socket adapters for 12AU7 tubes. If I remember right (it's been a while), 12AU7's have same pinout as 12AX and 12AT's, right? So if I were to get some Brimar CV4033's, I should be good for plug and play?

Any availability on preferred tube set's? For instance Ya'll seem to like a particular year of Brimar with a particular number of mica's and a particular getter. I ordered a generic Brimar CV4033 set from Pulse, but where can I source HG sets from and what particular parameters are you looking for?

Many posts are also centered on a Mjolner upgrade, basically upping the capacitance in the PS's. These are the caps dealing with DC ripple, right? Tied to ground and shunting noise? So both the HV and LV (heater) rails have been upgraded. Has anyone tried bypassing these as well or instead?

Anyway, Thanks for all the useful info and interesting reading!!!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #6,459 of 6,943
Hi All! Been lurking here for a little while now, just acquired a Mjolner 2 with a few tubes off of US Audio Mart, hopefully be in by the end of the week. I already have a Gumby multibit w/USB 5th gen, and a set of ZMF Verite's w/a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. I'm only streaming Amazon HD from my computer over USB. So, I hope you might answer a few questions.

The Mjolner came from here: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649818190-schiit-mjolnir-2-balanced-tube-amp-w3-sets-of-tubes/

and includes some socket adapters for 12AU7 tubes. If I remember right (it's been a while), 12AU7's have same pinout as 12AX and 12AT's, right? So if I were to get some Brimar CV4033's, I should be good for plug and play?

Any availability on preferred tube set's? For instance Ya'll seem to like a particular year of Brimar with a particular number of mica's and a particular getter. I ordered a generic Brimar CV4033 set from Pulse, but where can I source HG sets from and what particular parameters are you looking for?

Many posts are also centered on a Mjolner upgrade, basically upping the capacitance in the PS's. These are the caps dealing with DC ripple, right? Tied to ground and shunting noise? So both the HV and LV (heater) rails have been upgraded. Has anyone tried bypassing these as well or instead?

Anyway, Thanks for all the useful info and interesting reading!!!
These are what you want bro. Footscray 1956 triple mica square getter. These are the best of the Footscray.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/12at7-cv455-kb-fb-brimar-rare-triple-mica-1956-nos-valve-tube/

As far as the mod. Any technical info is probably best to pm @ksorota as he is the one who mods these for the MJ2 community.

Cheers!

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #6,460 of 6,943
Hey GuidoStrunk, thanks for reply!

Went ahead and ordered a pair from your link, will worry about caching spares later.

I’m a bit pissed at myself right now, in the middle of packing/decluttering for a major house renovation, and seriously damaged my Verite’s!!! Got caught on the cord, dragged them off the desk, and they hit hard and fractured the wood around one pivot of a gimbal,. Split the wood all the way to the circular vented cap, broke a piece of wood off between vents, just nasty! I used to be an instrument repairman, so I can fix it, but the repair won’t be invisible. Drivers are fully intact, heck, they still sound great, but crap! Sighhhhhh…..

Anyway, a have a home built set of Grados with Symphones drivers that will have to satisfy me for now until the repair is finished, plan on taking my time.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #6,461 of 6,943
Hey GuidoStrunk, thanks for reply!

Went ahead and ordered a pair from your link, will worry about caching spares later.

I’m a bit pissed at myself right now, in the middle of packing/decluttering for a major house renovation, and seriously damaged my Verite’s!!! Got caught on the cord, dragged them off the desk, and they hit hard and fractured the wood around one pivot of a gimbal,. Split the wood all the way to the circular vented cap, broke a piece of wood off between vents, just nasty! I used to be an instrument repairman, so I can fix it, but the repair won’t be invisible. Drivers are fully intact, heck, they still sound great, but crap! Sighhhhhh…..

Anyway, a have a home built set of Grados with Symphones drivers that will have to satisfy me for now until the repair is finished, plan on taking my time.
😳😱

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #6,462 of 6,943
Sorry to hear about your Verites, fingers crossed the repair goes well!

As for tube recommendations for the Mjolnir 2 another great one and the one I seem to use most with my Verite Closed is the RFT ECC81.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #6,463 of 6,943
Thanks Rowethren, will have to try that one out as well!

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #6,464 of 6,943
Jan 25, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #6,465 of 6,943
Hey Ksorota, your the one doing mods to the Mjolnir, right? Seems many like your upgrade. This is basically upping the capacitance in the PS's, as well as changing cap brands/series to better sounding ones? These are the caps dealing with DC ripple, right? Tied to ground and shunting noise on both the HV and LV rails?. Has anyone tried bypassing these as well or instead?

Thanks for reply in advance!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back