Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,896 of 6,930
Ah nice, same one I posted. :thumbsup: Considering your cables are expensive was there any concern running the signal through a switcher which may or may not have the same quality internals?
At first. Until I ran it direct from the DAC. Then through the switch no change what so ever. The cables are well worth the price. Besides they are cheap compared to some of the other numbers I was seeing

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,897 of 6,930
I will give you an example, I was riunning my XBOX 1x optical through my samsung tv console. The sound was horrible. Bloated, bad quality. The fix was to use minimal connections coz it is costly to pay for too much good componants and every connection you put you loose some there. IMHO.
Never mind the output of the Xbox is crap. There is no generation loss when you use opticial

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #2,898 of 6,930
Never mind the output of the Xbox is crap. There is no generation loss when you use opticial
THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO SAY NEXT, THEN I DIRECTLY PUT THAT OPTICAL TO MY YGGDRASIL, THE RESULT IS WAYYYYYY BETTER. NOW I THINK IT IOS LIMITED BY MY AMAZON BASICS CRAP CABLE. IF I SECIDE TO GTET A AUDIOQUEST, IT WILL BE VERY VERY GOOD.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #2,899 of 6,930
THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO SAY NEXT, THEN I DIRECTLY PUT THAT OPTICAL TO MY YGGDRASIL, THE RESULT IS WAYYYYYY BETTER. NOW I THINK IT IOS LIMITED BY MY AMAZON BASICS CRAP CABLE. IF I SECIDE TO GTET A AUDIOQUEST, IT WILL BE VERY VERY GOOD.
Audioquest cables are BIG $$$. I 100% love the cables I posted the link to the sound rounded out the bottom end got fatter

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,904 of 6,930
@BabetakCZE ... I have used my Metrum Flint which just has SE output to MJ2 and then XLR out to Aeon Flow Open headphones ... a switch on the front controls SE or XLR input to the MJ2

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #2,907 of 6,930
Great, thank you for quick answer.
So you dont need a balanced DAC to run headphones balanced out of Mjolnir 2, right?

Yes and even if you are using single ended in the signal after the pot is fully balanced.
You are loosing a little gain and a bit of clarity but still sounds very good.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,908 of 6,930
Some people say you can use a simple XLR Y-splitter which others say would degrade the signal, so don't really want to go that route.
Just in case anyone finds this thread while wondering about Y-splitters, I just tried that experiment myself. I have a vintage Lector Digicode Tube dac which sounds spectacular with its balanced XLR out on both my Stax 353X and my Taurus MkII. I didn't want to have to keep switching cables so I got a pair of Y-splitters from Blue Jeans Cable. I've been happy with everything I've gotten from them and their service is stellar. Bottom line is no matter how I arranged the wiring (whether going straight from dac>splitter>amp or dac>splitter>XLR cables>amp) whether both amps were even connected or powered on, the difference in sound quality with the y-splitter in play was substantial. I'm not talking some subtle shift in soundstage. I'm talking a change from exquisite to well, bad enough to make me think there was something wrong with my Stax (thank goodness the sound quality came right back when I removed the splitter). I emailed Blue Jeans and explained that I didn't think there was anything "wrong" with their splitters. They just weren't meant to do what I was trying to do. They agreed and offered a full refund (there's that stellar service again) and even pointed me in the direction of a good switch, so that will be my next experiment.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,909 of 6,930
Just in case anyone finds this thread while wondering about Y-splitters, I just tried that experiment myself. I have a vintage Lector Digicode Tube dac which sounds spectacular with its balanced XLR out on both my Stax 353X and my Taurus MkII. I didn't want to have to keep switching cables so I got a pair of Y-splitters from Blue Jeans Cable. I've been happy with everything I've gotten from them and their service is stellar. Bottom line is no matter how I arranged the wiring (whether going straight from dac>splitter>amp or dac>splitter>XLR cables>amp) whether both amps were even connected or powered on, the difference in sound quality with the y-splitter in play was substantial. I'm not talking some subtle shift in soundstage. I'm talking a change from exquisite to well, bad enough to make me think there was something wrong with my Stax (thank goodness the sound quality came right back when I removed the splitter). I emailed Blue Jeans and explained that I didn't think there was anything "wrong" with their splitters. They just weren't meant to do what I was trying to do. They agreed and offered a full refund (there's that stellar service again) and even pointed me in the direction of a good switch, so that will be my next experiment.
Interesting. A few weeks after getting my Yggy2 and Mjolnir2 I bought a pair of XLR Y-splitter cables to send Yggy2's balanced output to both Mjolnir2 and my Yamaha A-S3000. I haven't done repeated A/B tests, but I didn't notice any degradation in SQ when I installed the splitter cables so have had no reason to want to remove them. You have now however planted the seed in my brain.... damn you!....

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,910 of 6,930
Interesting. A few weeks after getting my Yggy2 and Mjolnir2 I bought a pair of XLR Y-splitter cables to send Yggy2's balanced output to both Mjolnir2 and my Yamaha A-S3000. I haven't done repeated A/B tests, but I didn't notice any degradation in SQ when I installed the splitter cables so have had no reason to want to remove them. You have now however planted the seed in my brain.... damn you!....

Trust me, you would have noticed this. It was not subtle. I could tell within the first 3 notes of the first song I played that something was screwy. Maybe just the combo of the equipment I had. I'd say if you didn't notice a degradation, then you definitely didn't have the problem I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back