Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,266 of 6,930
I feel like there’s a slight difference from the SE compared to the balanced connection.
Here is the thing : Balanced is much more powerfull and much more silent... Well, at least, that is what Schiit says.
But, balanced connexion is also much more isolated (can I say it like this in english ??). For exemple, when I am connected throw jack output, I have some wierd noices coming randomly from time to time. I thought it was a problem with the MJ2, but I also have the problem with my Myryad preamp (much more audible with the MJ2 so). So I have a problem with my power... Don't know where it comes from, but I have it. Anyways, that problem occures only when using SE output. It never happen with the XLR output.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #2,267 of 6,930
@SAndreev Agree with you regarding the HD650 balanced from MJ2. It may just be the extra power that the 650's need that works for them, although maybe not such a difference with other headphones.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2,268 of 6,930
Has anyone here run a Hifiman Edition X V2 out of a Mjolnir 2? I wanted to know if it distorts because of the low impedance of these headphones and the power the Mjolnir pushes.
Hi, I tried hex v2 on my mj2, it's good but not great, the sound is somehow a little bit veiled and too laid back, the sound stage is wide, but not tall enough, also Mj2 is not very extend in both end, but it's very full bodied and powerful.
I would suggest Pathos Aurium for Hex v2, th900 and LCD-X, actually I prefer LCDX on mj2 over PA slightly.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #2,269 of 6,930
Hi, I tried hex v2 on my mj2, it's good but not great, the sound is somehow a little bit veiled and too laid back, the sound stage is wide, but not tall enough, also Mj2 is not very extend in both end, but it's very full bodied and powerful.
I would suggest Pathos Aurium for Hex v2, th900 and LCD-X, actually I prefer LCDX on mj2 over PA slightly.

I realize that depending on the tubes being used it can definitely sound veiled and you're right when you say that it characteristically has a laid back sound. Roll some GE 5 Stars 5670s and it envelopes you. It adds on to wide sound stage with height. Actually, I enjoy these headphones and the sound is exactly what I was looking for when I purchased the M1060 and modded it. Clear, wide, female vocals to die for but missing that little more sub bass i'm looking for.

I'm most like going to sell them and look at the Atticus, HD660s, or LCD-2Cs. Not to dissuade anyone who'd like to buy these as they are great headphones and can imagine how they'd sound being pushed by a great DAP.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,270 of 6,930

The HEX V2 and MJ2 sound pretty good to me with the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922's. Still a bit veiled, but those tubes added some enjoyable mid-range attack, and are available for around $45 each. On the flip side, those tubes make my ears bleed when I plug in the Utopias.

p.s., And agree, the HEX V2's do have a polite laid back sound.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,271 of 6,930
The HEX V2 and MJ2 sound pretty good to me with the Genalex Gold Lion E88CC / 6922's. Still a bit veiled, but those tubes added some enjoyable mid-range attack, and are available for around $45 each. On the flip side, those tubes make my ears bleed when I plug in the Utopias.

p.s., And agree, the HEX V2's do have a polite laid back sound.
I'm using JJ E88CC which is sorta better than stock in terms of sound stage, I'm planning to go for a Volvo or Siemens cca.
Any suggestions for tube rolling?

Also I'm going for Utopias soon, can MJ2 drive them or I need some significant upgrade?

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,272 of 6,930
Also I'm going for Utopias soon, can MJ2 drive them or I need some significant upgrade?

The Utopia is very efficient, so no worries on the MJ2 driving them. I wasn't entirely happy with the Utopia and MJ2 though until I tried a pair of (also inexpensive) Tesla 6922's (NOS from the 70s, that have a laid back mid-range, rolled off treble). I'm completely satisfied now. Clear, smooth sound, but there is still plenty of the mid-range detail and highs that they do so well, without my feeling overloaded.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,273 of 6,930
Ok so i have this wierd problem. I turn on my MJ2 and then it start to buzz until relay snap then it end. And this only happened with Tesla tubes. When i use original tubes no sound at all. What should i do? Throw those Teslas in trashcan? They sound great thou.
I just wonder what a hell that buzz is.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,274 of 6,930
Ok so i have this wierd problem. I turn on my MJ2 and then it start to buzz until relay snap then it end. And this only happened with Tesla tubes. When i use original tubes no sound at all. What should i do? Throw those Teslas in trashcan? They sound great thou.
I just wonder what a hell that buzz is.

My MJ2 does this as well on most of my tubes. Don’t throw the Teslas away. All that matters Is that it’s quiet after the relay snaps.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #2,275 of 6,930
Ok so it is not dangerous then. I was bit worried cause i´m pretty new with tubes and stock tubes didn´t do that.
Anyone heard any clicks and cracks when MJ2 is turned off? Like i´m coming with coffee in morning to my pc and read some news it sometimes keeps that noise.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #2,276 of 6,930
Ok so it is not dangerous then. I was bit worried cause i´m pretty new with tubes and stock tubes didn´t do that.
Anyone heard any clicks and cracks when MJ2 is turned off? Like i´m coming with coffee in morning to my pc and read some news it sometimes keeps that noise.

Yeah it used to keep me up at night although it happened often in the beginning when it first arrived but now it rarely happens, really annoying though. It might have something to do with how the power cable is positioned, if there is any strain or weird angles. Or it could be that its cooling down, i still don't get why

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,277 of 6,930
Hi all !
I was wondering if we can find some green tubes like the McIntosh for our amp !?

Something that would look like this :
mc275-2.jpg

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #2,278 of 6,930
Hi all !
I was wondering if we can find some green tubes like the McIntosh for our amp !?

Something that would look like this :
mc275-2.jpg

I could be wrong but I think they are just lit with LEDs from below.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #2,279 of 6,930
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #2,280 of 6,930
you can try adding green food coloring

or just decorating MJ2 with some artisanally placed limes to accent its svelte, girlish figure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back