Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #122 of 614
Is the Midgard still worth getting even if you use single-ended? I hope to start using balanced in the near future, but I don’t have a source with balanced outputs.
Do you have an amplifier that you are satisfied with already? If yes, I'd stick with that. Without the Halo output, Midgard is just like a really really really good Magni in my opinion. Magni+++ if you prefer.

If no, the Midgard would be the perfect starter amp using single-ended output. It's not going to beat much more expensive amps, but it's fairly refined from the single-ended output and definitely has enough power for any headphone except a couple super high-end planars. When I switch to a better amp I can hear the difference, but when I'm listening to the Midgard in isolation I'm pretty satisfied. FYI I use a power-hungry, highly resolving headphone (Heddphone Two) with the single-ended output and it sounds awesome to me ... perhaps I just have low standards but I don't feel like anything is really wrong with the single-ended output. I don't perceive anything truly BAD, it's just that more expensive amps have more detail, better tone, better soundstage, etc.

As others have said, the Midgard is not balanced and DO NOT use an adapter to connect single-ended headphones to the XLR output.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #123 of 614
Do you have an amplifier that you are satisfied with already? If yes, I'd stick with that. Without the Halo output, Midgard is just like a really really really good Magni in my opinion. Magni+++ if you prefer.

If no, the Midgard would be the perfect starter amp using single-ended output. It's not going to beat much more expensive amps, but it's fairly refined from the single-ended output and definitely has enough power for any headphone except a couple super high-end planars. When I switch to a better amp I can hear the difference, but when I'm listening to the Midgard in isolation I'm pretty satisfied. FYI I use a power-hungry, highly resolving headphone (Heddphone Two) with the single-ended output and it sounds awesome to me ... perhaps I just have low standards but I don't feel like anything is really wrong with the single-ended output. I don't perceive anything truly BAD, it's just that more expensive amps have more detail, better tone, better soundstage, etc.

As others have said, the Midgard is not balanced and DO NOT use an adapter to connect single-ended headphones to the XLR output.
Thanks for the reply. I have an Asgard 3 which I like a lot and use it with a Loki Mini+. But I would like to have a second amp as well. I have two CD Players, so a separate amp for each one would be nice. I see the Midgard has a really good potentiometer, possibly better than the Asgard. So, the Midgard looks like a nice amp.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #124 of 614
So another words; I would not get the Halo effect by just using an XLR to 1/4 inch adapter using the single ended outputs on the Midgard.
Yes, that is correct. The headphone return path is involved to control the transducer impedance changes and it can only do this through the additional connections of the XLR output.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #125 of 614
Thanks for the reply. I have an Asgard 3 which I like a lot and use it with a Loki Mini+. But I would like to have a second amp as well. I have two CD Players, so a separate amp for each one would be nice. I see the Midgard has a really good potentiometer, possibly better than the Asgard. So, the Midgard looks like a nice amp.
AFAIK, Asgard OG/gen 2/gen 3 all use an Alps RK27 potentiometer, 2-gang. Midgard also uses Alps RK27, but a 4-gang version (two extra sections needed to support the rear panel XLR balanced inputs) similar to Jotunheim 2 & Mjolnir 3.

(Revised)
Also, on the Kara thread, there was some confusion about discrete vs op-amps based on the PCB internals pics. Midgard outputs are paired matched transistors, not op-amps, in an 8-pin package that looks similar to SO-8 op amps but is actually slightly wider and flatter.
https://www.nexperia.com/products/b...sistors/#/p=1,s=0,f=,c=,rpp=,fs=0,sc=,so=,es=

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #126 of 614
Without the Halo output, Midgard is just like a really really really good Magni in my opinion. Magni+++ if you prefer.
Yes, I agree. But it does have double the power of a Magni and an Alps Blue potentiometer. So, I guess the extra $100 for the Midgard is more or less a good deal. I’ll have to think about getting one, not sure yet.

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #127 of 614
Yes, I agree. But it does have double the power of a Magni and an Alps Blue potentiometer. So, I guess the extra $100 for the Midgard is more or less a good deal. I’ll have to think about getting one, not sure yet.
Plus the XLR headphone port. Even if it turns out Halo doesn’t do anything, it’s still a major extra convenience.

I know Schiit has been against ‘fake’ XLR headphone jacks, but I’d much rather have one than not, since I only have XLR terminated cables for some of my headphones.

Nov 2, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #128 of 614
As a new owner of the Midgard, paired with a Bifrost, I can say that the Halo topology can easily be heard with my ZMF Atrium. Of course it’s a dynamic driver and a high 300 ohm impedance.

I can hear the difference right away when switching from the regular 1/4 to the XLR. Unfortunately, I actually don’t prefer the Halo feedback with the Atrium. The reason is because I love everything about the Atrium as is. I don’t want or feel any need to alter its sound signature. So for that headphone, the Halo doesn’t offer anything I want. The Halo makes the Atrium sound a little too clean and slightly sterile. Also, for some reason, it pulls back the mids a little. The problem is I love the slightly forward mids and don’t want them reduced at all.

However, I love having the ability to slightly skew a headphones sound if its signature isn’t exactly what I want. The Auteur is even more mid forward than the Atrium. If I still owned that headphone, I think I’d prefer the Halo effect.

At the end of the day, the Midgard is a ridiculously good sounding amp for such a low price, and is built very well. It is also pretty powerful, especially to only be single ended. It’s a keeper.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #131 of 614
Very early impressions after about 10 hours listening.

A bit about me. I like warmer more euphonic sounding gear. I love high impedance headphones, multibit dacs, and tube amps. I don't care about measurements, and just like what I like as I hear it, I don't overanalyze why.

Got my Midgard yesterday, and spent the evening and morning listening with my Atrium Closed going back and forth between xlr and se outputs. Right away I noticed the xlr/halo difference. Not Being internally balanced there's no volume difference between the two outputs, so volume matching isn't an issue. xlr output is cleaner and clearer, and also more expansive. Going to the se output, everything takes on a more rounded and smoother aspect, as if there's a fine filter over the driver tempering the sound. The overall difference isn't huge, but noticeable. Both outputs are very clean sounding, very solid state neutral.

Both outputs are clean and precise. It's been awhile since I've spent this much time with a solid state amp so it's definitely different. I usually listen with tube amps. Overall technical aspects are good. Good dynamic range, soundstage, and resolution. No stridency in the treble like the THX amps put out. Just a clean, clear presentation that gets out of the way and lets the upstream and downstream gear shine through. If you're looking for that, this is a very decent option, and a no brainer at the price.

I have my Asgard 3 here at work so I'll start doing some comparisons to it to see how the Midgard compares. I won't bother comparing to the Woo tube amp, I have a strong preference for tube sound and I can tell right away the Midgard will not fare well in comparison, it's too clean sounding.

I do have to give a shoutout to Schiit for their constant improvement in sound quality. I've been buying their products since inception, owning many of their products over the years. Many of early products had a bit of glare in the treble that I found fatiguing. That original Magni was a treble monster in hindsight! But the Midgard is smooth up top. Not rolled off or hazy/soft sounding, it's tight and extended, but without any glare or harshness. I'd take this over the THX and Topping crud any day. One of the happiest days was selling my THX amp haha. Ok i'm being harsh, but so was the treble from that thing. Nothing like that here. Kudos Schiit!

I'll update this as I learn the amp more and get more comparison time in.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #132 of 614
Very early impressions after about 10 hours listening.

A bit about me. I like warmer more euphonic sounding gear. I love high impedance headphones, multibit dacs, and tube amps. I don't care about measurements, and just like what I like as I hear it, I don't overanalyze why.

Got my Midgard yesterday, and spent the evening and morning listening with my Atrium Closed going back and forth between xlr and se outputs. Right away I noticed the xlr/halo difference. Being internally balanced there's no volume difference between the two outputs, so volume matching isn't an issue. xlr output is cleaner and clearer, and also more expansive. Going to the se output, everything takes on a more rounded and smoother aspect, as if there's a fine filter over the driver tempering the sound. The overall difference isn't huge, but noticeable. Both outputs are very clean sounding, very solid state neutral.

Both outputs are clean and precise. It's been awhile since I've spent this much time with a solid state amp so it's definitely different. I usually listen with tube amps. Overall technical aspects are good. Good dynamic range, soundstage, and resolution. No stridency in the treble like the THX amps put out. Just a clean, clear presentation that gets out of the way and lets the upstream and downstream gear shine through. If you're looking for that, this is a very decent option, and a no brainer at the price.

I have my Asgard 3 here at work so I'll start doing some comparisons to it to see how the Midgard compares. I won't bother comparing to the Woo tube amp, I have a strong preference for tube sound and I can tell right away the Midgard will not fare well in comparison, it's too clean sounding.

I do have to give a shoutout to Schiit for their constant improvement in sound quality. I've been buying their products since inception, owning many of their products over the years. Many of early products had a bit of glare in the treble that I found fatiguing. That original Magni was a treble monster in hindsight! But the Midgard is smooth up top. Not rolled off or hazy/soft sounding, it's tight and extended, but without any glare or harshness. I'd take this over the THX and Topping crud any day. One of the happiest days was selling my THX amp haha. Ok i'm being harsh, but so was the treble from that thing. Nothing like that here. Kudos Schiit!

I'll update this as I learn the amp more and get more comparison time in.
Glad to hear the good news about the Midgard. Seems like a great amp, especially for the price, you can’t go wrong. I’m sure I’ll be getting one as well. Are you using the balanced inputs, unbalanced or possibly both?

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #133 of 614
Glad to hear the good news about the Midgard. Seems like a great amp, especially for the price, you can’t go wrong. I’m sure I’ll be getting one as well. Are you using the balanced inputs, unbalanced or possibly both?
My best dac, a Border Patrol NOS R2R, is se only, which is what i'm using. I am nervous leaving here in the office but I just adore it's sound. So smooth and natural, not a hint of digital glare at all. If there's harshness its either the amp or headphones. I need to check with Schiit to see if I can connect both the se and xlr outputs of the Bifrost 2/64 to the same amp. That would let me test the two input options on the Midgard easily.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #134 of 614
If no, the Midgard would be the perfect starter amp using single-ended output. It's not going to beat much more expensive amps, but it's fairly refined from the single-ended output and definitely has enough power for any headphone except a couple super high-end planars.

What higher end amps do you recommend? I have been on the fence about getting an amp that takes the balanced signal from my RME-ADI 2 since I don't think my SMSL SP200 gives out quite enough power. I was hoping the Midgard would be a good end game since it has a lot of power, plus its cheap which is nice. Also been thinking of a Violectric amp but don't know if its worth potentially spending $2,000+ on one.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #135 of 614
My best dac, a Border Patrol NOS R2R, is se only, which is what i'm using. I am nervous leaving here in the office but I just adore it's sound. So smooth and natural, not a hint of digital glare at all. If there's harshness its either the amp or headphones. I need to check with Schiit to see if I can connect both the se and xlr outputs of the Bifrost 2/64 to the same amp. That would let me test the two input options on the Midgard easily.
Border Patrol SE is a great DAC - tube rectification, to boot! This preceded Mojo Audio EVO Mystique in my setup. 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back