Schiit Midgard - Impressions Thread
May 20, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #602 of 614
Not to steer folks from the Midgard, which I do have...
Take a look ath thr $149 Vali 3, 100 volts on the plates!
This is another Schiit wonder...
Alex
The Midgard will appeal more to the "measurements" obsessed folks.

May 20, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #603 of 614
Just because something measures extremely well doesn’t mean it can’t sound amazing, though just because something measures poorly doesn’t mean it can’t sound amazing either.

The Midgard and RME ADI-2 DAC both measure extremely well, but somehow they sound noticeably different. I don’t know why, but the Midgard is a gem.

May 20, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #604 of 614
Not to steer folks from the Midgard, which I do have...
Take a look ath thr $149 Vali 3, 100 volts on the plates!
This is another Schiit wonder...
Alex
I’ve been playing around with the idea of picking one up. I don’t know if it would be redundant with my Folkvangr, but having a tube hybrid for some tube influence on low-impedance cans would be nice.

May 20, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #605 of 614
Just because something measures extremely well doesn’t mean it can’t sound amazing, though just because something measures poorly doesn’t mean it can’t sound amazing either.

The Midgard and RME ADI-2 DAC both measure extremely well, but somehow they sound noticeably different. I don’t know why, but the Midgard is a gem.
This is what I wrote in my review. You are welcomed to read it.

May 21, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #606 of 614
So I just got a Midgard used from someone on CAM. Right now I'm comparing it with my Singzer SA-1 amp. Both are being fed from the Bifrost 2 and USB from my Mac to the DAC. First impression is that the Midgard is more "polite" compared to the Singzer SA-1. The Singzer seems more lively by comparison. But the difference in sound signature is not drastic. Switching from low to high gain is a big difference in volume. I'm using the ZMF Bokeh to test via XLR.
Really? Previously I sold my SA-1 because I thought it was too polite to the point that it was not engaging enough. If the Midgard is even more polite with your pairing, would you describe it as “lazy”?

May 21, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #607 of 614
Agree, but a lot of us have gone thru all that gorp...
What I should have said is try a Schiit Vali 3 and still keep your Midgard..
You will have the best of both worlds so to speak.

A really decent hybrid tube amp design to play with tubes!
Tons of fun!

Alex

May 21, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #608 of 614
Agree, but a lot of us have gone thru all that gorp...
What I should have said is try a Schiit Vali 3 and still keep your Midgard..
You will have the best of both worlds so to speak.

A really decent hybrid tube amp design to play with tubes!
Tons of fun!

Alex
Judging from my Vali 2+ , it must be really good.

May 21, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #609 of 614
I have both side by side here.
With Vali 3, I was going to sell the Vali 2.
But....the two are so different at times.
Still have both.
The disease of playing with tubes, both supported and via adapters is almost endless.
Another part of the hobby that is really interesting IMO.

No one flavor fits all use cases for sure!
Alex

1716293613828.png
1716293654672.png

May 21, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #612 of 614

One thing in this hobby, you can listen to something and because its new and "different" your brain is going to most likely catalog this experience as as good one or not so good one. Then after several weeks you change to another setup and wham this is different and wow is this good etc...then after a few weeks its back to the first one and wham again....gee this old one is still decent....

Funny creatures we human beings are...

This is why I have so many amps and cans...

Some are real duds IMO and they are let go...others well just hang around for a long time!!

:>)

Enjoy the music while u can!
Alex

May 21, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #613 of 614
One thing in this hobby, you can listen to something and because its new and "different" your brain is going to most likely catalog this experience as as good one or not so good one. Then after several weeks you change to another setup and wham this is different and wow is this good etc...then after a few weeks its back to the first one and wham again....gee this old one is still decent....

Funny creatures we human beings are...

This is why I have so many amps and cans...

Some are real duds IMO and they are let go...others well just hang around for a long time!!

:>)

Enjoy the music while u can!
Alex
Yup, 100%. I have three little Schiit headphone amps and rotate them. Each time the new sound is refreshing. Contemplating a Midgard just so I can hook up the balanced out from my Modius.

May 21, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #614 of 614
Really? Previously I sold my SA-1 because I thought it was too polite to the point that it was not engaging enough. If the Midgard is even more polite with your pairing, would you describe it as “lazy”?

I ended up selling my Singxer SA-1. No I don't think the Midgard is "lazy". Not sure what that means for audio. I think my ears and brain just adjusted to the Midgard over time and it is very good. I am looking to get a Mjolnir 3 so I suspect I will be selling the Midgard once that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back